1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

PFF's SUPER early 2017 mock draft

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by JohnnyX, May 5, 2016.

1. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    PFF's did a super early 2017 Mock Draft

SOURCE: https://www.profootballfocus.com/bl...no-1-to-browns-in-pffs-early-2017-mock-draft/

2. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +306
    I have seen two 2017 NFL mock drafts now. One has us picking 2nd and the other has us picking 3rd. Even with as much as I bitterly disagree with what Telesco has done and failed to do, I can't see us being quite that bad this year even if John Clayton refers to us as being starved for talent.

That said, I like the idea of us taking Miles Garrett as suggested by the above quoted mock draft. I also like the idea of us taking Leonard Fournette. Unfortunately, based upon recent history, I think that pretty much guarantees that we will not take either player.

3. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    They wouldn't take Fournette. Garrett's an entirely different matter though that could be dependent on other factors. Ingram's a free agent and Attaochu (if the camp and preseason reps are any indication) hasn't exactly been in the greatest favor of the coaching staff (lost his starting spot).

Either way, it's pretty much impossible to identify the likely spot of our 1st round pick because we haven't seen this team perform this year and Telesco has (rather predictably each time) used his 1st to address the most glaring deficiency of the previous season's team (injuries withstanding).

4. Bruce Daniel

Bruce Daniel BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +242
    This is way early lol, but if we're in the top ten, I have to feel that
    Myles Garrett
    Malik McDowell
    Cam Robinson
    Would be a few names that would have to get serious consideration. If we're in the top 2 then you can add
    Deshaun Watson
    Deshone Kizer

5. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162
    Idk man I'm all for pass rushers, but rivers is getting old, the organization has to start looking for a replacement sometime. I was hoping it would have been last draft with dak Prescott. But we skipped. If were first or second we have to take deshaun Watson, let rivers groom him like Favre did Rodgers and we will be set in qb. So idk how I feel about taking a pass rusher with rivers inclining age.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +541
    I have negative time these days to pay attention to draft prospects, but I would like to take a look at Adam Bisnowaty from Pitt and Connor McDermott from UCLA.

7. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    This is NOT the year you want to draft a QB. The class is poor (at the moment, I don't have a single 1st round grade on any senior).

This idea of "letting Rivers groom his replacement" is effectively flipping Rivers the bird. "Hey Phil, we have the chance to give you a prolific pass-rusher to get you the ball back sooner and more often, but we'd rather spend that pick on a guy who won't see the field as long as you're here."

You seem to be having a bit of revisionist history as to where the Packers drafted Rodgers. Ted Thompson spent the 24th overall pick on a falling Rodgers, while already having a roster that had been talented enough to decidedly win its division since Culpepper and Moss had left Minnesota. That's a huge difference from spending a Top 5 pick on DeShaun Watson (who isn't remotely the prospect Rodgers was).

People simply have to accept that when Rivers retires, this team is either going to have to take a chance on an unproven guy coming off someone else's roster or have to deal with sucking bad enough for a couple of years (or making a trade similar to what the Rams, Eagles, Redskins made in recent years) to move up into the Top 1-2 picks to snag a prospect they believe to be a franchise QB. It's how the league works nowadays. The only other alternative is investing a mid-round pick in a developmental QB, and at that point you're already starting off with a flawed prospect - because if the player was thought highly enough by an NFL front office to be picked in the 1st round, recent history has shown, he would have been. And far more often than not, those front offices who passed on the player were right.

8. charger1993

Ratings:
    +162
    I wouldn't say that's flipping him the bird at all, rivers knows he isn't gonna play past 40. And he's getting closer. So sitting qb for 2 to 3 years is a good deal for everyone. Lets say we were able to draft deshaun Watson. And he says for 2 to 3 years, you don't think Watson wouldn't benefit from that???? And we just drafted bosa who is suppose to be the guy whose gonna come into San Diego and just rack up sacks. This team is at the point where we have to start re building. Its just the cold hard truth. Hates will be gone within 2 years. Rivers within 4. Keenan Allen has the worst luck ice seen of any wr, it's like the injury gods are just picking on him. Besides Jason verrett and denzel perryman who do we have to feel excited about. We have very few play makers. We have to start drafting smart instead of trying to win right now.

9. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    If we can draft DeShaun Watson in the 2nd or 3rd round, then maybe. But spending a Top 5 pick on a QB is very much flipping the bird to your current franchise QB.

"Naw Phil, that pick wouldn't be better spent on a player that could help get you that ring you've been pursuing and our fans have been crying out forever for... naw, we're going to draft your replacement even though he won't see the field for the majority of his rookie deal and until you retire... or until we put you out to pasture because we determine we have to get an ROI on the cheap rookie deal."

Drafting smart doesn't preclude trying to win now, particularly when you have a piece that enables you to try and win now.

10. charger1993

Ratings:
    +162
    Then who do you take if we pick top 5??? Myles Garrett?? Someone who looks to dominant with his speed versus his actual pass rush moves. Jabril peppers who plays every position like shaq thompson, just with less body of work. Cam Robinson who we won't take because of his off the field issues. Dalvin cook??? Another 1st round pick in a rb. If were top 5 and were not sold on Myles Garrett idk who to take honestly. Besides a qb, there's is no one. 5 to 10 range ok there's more options. But we'll be top 5 again this year.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  11. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +943
    I have a funny feeling about these Chargers, man. There seems to be a team spirit and hustle from some players I didn't see last year. It may overcome McCoy's terrible coaching. Let's wait and see about the 2017 draft.

12. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +943
    What's your take on Jabrill Peppers? Does his game translate to the NFL at all?

13. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    If McCoil carves out his spot as I expect him to, Peppers is a bit redundant on this roster. We need more of a classic center-high, deep-roamer type to play over the top and provide support to receivers. While LSU has tended to play him down in the box more, Jamal Adams is someone who can play that high-FS role (and has Pro Bowl potential at it - he reminds me a lot of Harrison Smith) - I'm not convinced that Peppers does. Plus, if there's one position Les Miles seems to do a great job developing, it's DB's. Budda Baker is probably going to turn some people off because he isn't built like a Jalen Ramsey, but his fluidity, speed, and quickness are on par with Ramsey's and his instincts are better IMHO. He's really no smaller than Earl Thomas was at Texas and he delivers better pop coming downhill than Thomas does. At worst, I see Baker as the second-coming of LaMarcus Joyner

I need to watch more of Justin Evan from TA&M. Jeremiah said that scouts are really high on him and have him as a Top 20 prospect, but from what I've seen so far he takes some really ugly angles (granted that was a criticism I had of Justin Simmons at this time last year and he brought me back around on him by draft time. I'm keeping an eye on Colorado's Chidobe Awuzie because I think he's weird body type may force a move to safety (the combine is really going to be telling for him), but he has some plus attributes and traits that would translate well to the position; his ability to read and react is really, really good.

If we're sitting on a Top 10 pick (still not convinced that's going to be the case) and Adams is off the board, if it's me, I'm not shying away from Marlon Humphrey even if he is a CB, and then tell Flowers or Heyward that someone needs to move to safety for the good of the DB unit. Normally I'm not as high on Alabama corners as others are, but Humphrey has quick-twitch to him that a lot of the others before have lacked.

LIS, if I'm pinpointing our likely 1st round pick right now based off what we've seen from the season thus far, it's likely either safety or WR, with an outside chance of EDGE-rusher, dependent more on Attaochu than Ingram (because I think Ingram's going to get the Liuget treatment from the FO and be re-signed to a deal that may pay him more than he's actually earned - just a gut feeling).

14. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +943
    I've been thinking about the safety positions the last few days. Looking at Lowery's contract - we could cut him after this year and save $1.5 million. Addae is a free agent after this year as well, and I have no problem seeing him out the door, unless we use him in a LB/SS role, more in the box guy.

I'd love to sign Eric Berry in 2017. Bit of a pipe dream, I know, but at 28, he'll still be in the prime of his career for another 2 years (if his cancer doesn't come back) and even so a very solid player afterwards. Looking at players who got similar deals at that age would be Jarius Byrd, who got ridiculously overpaid - but better players to compare him to are Devin McCourty and Harrison Smith who both signed at 27.

Funny you mention Flowers potentially moving to one of the safety positions, the way he's played thus far, after that Jacksonville game with his quick play recognition, sure tackling, timing his blitzes well - seems like he could be a solid fit at SS.

So if we take a CB on days 1-3, with Verrett locking down 1's, Hayward in slot, and Flowers and Berry on the back end, I'd be more than excited. Then having players like McCoil learning from Berry, etc.

15. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    I don't like the idea of McCoil "learning" from anyone. He's the same age as Berry; he either sinks or swims at this point.

16. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +943
    McCoil? He just turned 25 man.

17. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    And that's an NFL player's prime. If a guy hasn't shown out to merit a spot in your starting lineup by 25-26 (he'll be 26 by the time next season starts), he's likely not worth it as a long-term value.

18. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Random thought

With Ingram and Te'o as Free Agents, would the team benefit from the idea of moving to a 4-3 in the off-season under a new coach. Especially if Garrett is a possibility

DE Bosa
    DT Liuget
    DT Mebane
    DE Garrett
    OLB Perryman
    OLB Brown
    ILB Perry

19. I Maze I

I Maze I BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +25
    We would literally have to lose every other game this year to be in the running for Garrett. If that happens I will be very sad.

20. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +943
    Ingram or Te'o will be re-signed. If Telesco is still here, he may vouch for Te'o, since that was his pick, while Ingram was Smith's. If I had a choice between the two, it's Ingram, unless Emanuel and Attaochu show up and ball out when rushing the passer.

New England has a ton of young starters on defense hitting the market. Including Malcolm Butler, Logan Ryan, Dont'a Hightower and Jamie Collins, not to mention key starters/role players like Jabaal Sheard and Duron Harmon.

If Jamie Collins goes unsigned, I'm throwing him crazy money. He's a playmaker and imagine the versatility and speed a competent defensive coordinator will have in 2017 with the likes of Collins, Jatavis Brown, Bosa, Liuget, Attaochu, Ingram (if re-signed) and thumpers in Perry and Perryman. So many different packages.

21. Montrose

Montrose BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +223
    " a competent defensive coordinator"

:unsure:

22. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +943
    We don't have one. Pagano is so inconsistent and he makes the same mistakes over and over again. This has gone on for over 5 years, and under 2 different head coaches.

23. I Maze I

I Maze I BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +25
    A few players at targeted positions who have caught my eye so far:

Marcus Maye, S
    Eddie Jackson, S
    Josh Harvey-Clemons, S
    Artavis Scott, WR
    Mike Williams, WR
    Corey Davis, WR
    Daeshon Hall, Edge
    Vince Biegel, Edge
    Forrest Lamp, OL
    Ethan Pocic, OL

24. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +943
    I love Marcus Maye, haven't watched too much of him this year, but Maye and Keanu Neal were fun to watch last year.

25. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +943
    Corey Davis would fit so well in this offense. He can take a screen, drag or slant pass to the house. He's ran close to a full route tree, and he's not just a dink and dunk guy, he can get vertical. He secures the catch and goes north with his acceleration and exceptional speed. I could see him blowing up the combine, running a sub 4.4 and going middle-late first. If he's there in the 2nd, he's a no brainer.

26. I Maze I

I Maze I BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +25
    Yeah I pretty much agree. Smooth athlete, good size and feet. Lots to like. He's one I'll be watching closely come senior bowl week.

27. TheAutumnWind

TheAutumnWind BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    If this squad ends up between pick 8-20...maybe a defensive upgrade up top is in order? Jamal Adams or Jabril Peppers. Some of the fanbase seemed to have wanted Ramsay. Peppers is another version of Ramsay. I wanted Tyran Mathieu a few years ago, Peppers is just a bigger version of Mathieu. I hope they're gunning for the Safeties in the first round. Especilly if Garret is off the board.

28. charger1993

Ratings:
    +162
    Peppers reminds me more of shaq thompson with out as much tape. He plays every position. Old how I feel about him just yet. But I'm watching Michigan games more and more.. A sleeper pick in this draft is daeshon hall olb from Texas a M

29. I Maze I

I Maze I BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +25
    Few other guys who have looked good just in my initial review:

Mike McGlinchey, OT
    Drew Morgan, WR
    Torii Hunter, WR
    Mack Hollins, WR
    Josh Reynolds, WR

30. I Maze I

I Maze I BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +25
    I agree on Hall, he brings some real heat. I'm always concerned when a guy is on the opposite side of a superstar though, like would he look as good if opposing offenses weren't so focused on Garrett... idk.

I haven't spent much time on Peppers yet, but I've watched a little Jourdan Lewis and I really liked what I saw there. Quick, scrappy little guy that hangs right in the hip pocket, but isn't shy of contact. Has some mixture of Verrett and Flowers qualities. If Flowers isn't here next year, I would be interested in Lewis come draft time.