1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

PFT: Chargers destined to leave

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,413
    Chargers seem destined to leave San Diego
    Posted by Mike Florio on March 26, 2015, 6:57 AM EDT

Apart from the bright-line rules that were (and weren’t) adopted at the now-concluded annual league meetings, one thing became clear via the chatter among those in attendance: The Chargers are determined to leave San Diego for Los Angeles.

They haven’t said so publicly, and they likely won’t for months to come. But enough is being said privately to lead to the inescapable conclusion that the Chargers are destined to escape from the city they’ve called home since 1961.

With public money no longer a viable option in California (or pretty much anywhere) to construct an NFL stadium, the money necessary to build a new building in San Diego won’t be offset by the kind of revenue that justifies the investment. Instead, it now seems to be far more likely than not that the Chargers will partner with the Raiders in Carson, or that the Chargers will become the second team in the Inglewood stadium that will house the Rams.

It means that the Rams or Raiders will be shut out of the market. The most common theory making the rounds in Arizona this week had the Rams joining the Chargers and the Raiders possibly filling the void in St. Louis created by the departure of the Rams.

Regardless, 20 years of talk about a team moving to L.A. will soon be ending. In 2016, it now seems inevitable that the Chargers and another NFL team will be back in Los Angeles.

2. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings:
    +481
    Thanks for brightening my day.....year....er, the rest of my existence. I knew when the greasy weasel bought those executive offices up in Smell-A five years ago that the writing was on the proverbial wall.
    Excuse me now while I go throw up in my mouth.

3. ChargerMike

Ratings:
    +481
    St. Louis Raiders???
    Wow.....sh#t's gett'n crazy now......but I'll take that over share'n a stadium with those losers for sure.

4. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,026
    Don't shoot the messenger ;)

• Like Like x 1
  5. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162
    Carson chargers doesn't even sound right

6. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,413
    There's one small detail that these "articles" all fail to mention. In order to relocate a franchise, a team has to show that they've exhausted every option first. They need 3/4 of the owners to approve any move.

Therefore, if the city and county together come up with a viable stadium plan, the Chargers are obligated to stay. It's not like they can say, "Hey, great stadium plan, but we can get an even better one in LA." That's not how the relocation process works.

If you're as rich as Kroenke, you can thumb your nose at the rules, but Spanos needs the league help to get anything done. His hands are tied if San Diego comes up with a viable plan.

7. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I've decided I will root for the LA Chargers. But I will never EVER buy apparel that says LA on it. Jeresys, hats, shirts, banana hammocks...nothing. I will basically be a closet Charger fan, I doubt I'll even admit to people that I root for them.

And if this site is still around I'm changing my screen name so y'all don't know its me.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,413
    You know, maybe this whole moving thing isn't so bad after all. :D

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    I was born in LA, lived in SD for 25 years, live in AZ now. I am a fan of the team where ever I go or where ever they go.

• Like Like x 1
  10. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    PFT is still wrong more than they are right when they speculate...

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    Even if they changed their names to the LA Dons and wore magenta and Sandy orange for colors?

I thought for a long while I'd still be a fan of theirs in LA. Change of heart the last few months. I'd most likely be finished with the NFL and pick up a college team to root for. I like the Georgia bulldogs so there is that.

12. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    EVEN BETTER :D

13. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,424
    I've lived in multiple cities across the country and visited countless more and San Diego tops the list of both lists' favorites (where I've lived and visited). That holds true even if I don't account for the fact my favorite NFL and MLB teams play there.

With that being said, I've never grasped the little brother syndrome many San Diegans have with regards to Los Angeles.

14. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    I don't think it's nearly pronounced today as it used to be but Los Angeles was the antithesis of all the reasons you lived in and loved San Diego. It wasn't so much active hate of Los Angeles but an oath that you would never let yourself be a part of what LA stood for and the lose the lifestyle San Diego provided.

If you weren't around before the mid-80's it might be harder to understand. I grew up in North Country and it was this strange amalgam of expensive neighborhoods, surf ghettos, migrant worker enclaves, ranches, expansive swaths of scrub brush, and plastic greenhouses dotting the hillsides. I had friends who lived in Carmel Valley off of a dirt road. The pharmacist knew your parents' and would greet you by name when you walked in the door. Traffic jams meant the Fair was letting out or that something seriously bad had happened. Bully's was patronized by old codgers pouring over racing forms while smoking cigars. You could still luck into a good day at Swami's with less than 10 guys out. There was a Mobile gas station smack dab in the middle of Del Mar where Jack and Simon worked on cars covered in grease. Zel would let kids run a line of credit to buy candy at his liquor store.

It was a quirky place with none of the paved-over gaseous anonymity of Los Angeles. Less so now but there's still something to it.

• Like Like x 1
  15. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,424
    You're also talking North County....I'm more familiar with the southern areas near Chula Vista, IB, and downtown.

I grew up a Navy kid and have lived in Long Beach and Orange County as well. I'm sure I have a different perspective not having looked from the outside in my whole life.

• Like Like x 1
  16. ChargerMike

Ratings:
    +481
    I don't know if this vid helps, or hurts our cause....lol. ;)

17. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +367
    And I don't know if I should be proud or ashamed that I made it to the 1:45 mark. That was rough.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    True. Very different vibes. And as much as I was a San Diegan, I did end up living in LA for a few years, so who am i to judge?

19. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,413
    BFTB: What is Mark Fabiani's Master Plan?
    By Jeff (sliderockmpc) on Mar 26, 2015

Chargers' Special Counsel Mark Fabiani has launched an all-out attack against the Citizens' Stadium Advisory Group's selection of the Mission Valley site. How much of what he's saying is spin, and what does it mean for keeping the Chargers in San Diego?

Here's a quote on the Mission Valley site from October of 2013...

"The Qualcomm site drawing board always was there. Now that the economic and housing issues have improved, redeveloping the Qualcomm site is something we're discussing with out development partner as something of interest... The site is perfect for private development, for building an urban village."

Here's another quote on the Mission Valley site from March of 2015...

"If (CSAG) is going to do what we proposed back in 2004, which is construct the stadium along with an urban village around the stadium, to then pay for the stadium without any taxpayer money, that would take years... to get through the entitlement process. It would have worked in 2004 or 2005 when we proposed it and had time, but now we don't. The city doesn't even own the site, the water department owns half the site. The site is polluted by a huge plume that has leaked from the gas tanks there. there's no more redevelopment, so you can't capture the tax increment off the site."

Both of these quotes came from the same person, Chargers' Special Counsel Mark Fabiani.

So what the hell happened to the Mission Valley site in the last 18 months?

Why is Fabiani Being Intentionally Misleading?
    Mark Fabiani is a very smart man. He's the kind of person who doesn't simply spout off quotes without knowing exactly what the ramifications would be. He knows these comments can be easily compared and fact checked, as in the case of this superb takedown of the gas plume excuse by Voice of San Diego's Lisa Halverstadt.

It appears he's simply throwing crap at the wall, and seeing what might stick.

This is because he's not speaking to the people of San Diego. As the members of CSAG have explained, and other media members have said (notably Mighty 1090's Scott Kaplan - skip to 26:05), Fabiani has a whole other audience in mind.

The 29 other NFL team owners who aren't potentially looking to move their team to Los Angeles. Fabian needs to convince 24 of them to allow the Chargers to relocate, or convince at least 8 of them to block someone else's relocation.

What Is Fabiani's Strategy?
    I see three options:

The Chargers have already decided to move to Los Angeles
    In this scenario, Fabiani continues advocating for a downtown stadium which he knows he can't get, enlists the help of some local opinion makers, and then presents the disconnect to NFL Ownership as proof that San Diego can't get anything done. NFL Owners aren't likely to waste their time trying to figure out whether Fabiani is telling the truth. The result is the Chargers making the case that they have to go to Los Angeles, no matter how much better another owner, project, or team might be in the Los Angeles market.

Exerting Leverage
    This is the Chargers exerting leverage to get the best possible deal from the city of San Diego and the NFL. Since the Chargers aren't getting their preferred downtown location, and they've already expressed dissatisfaction with the Mission Valley site, they'll be looking to secure a better/higher percentage of revenue out of the deal. They'll also be looking for compensation from the NFL in exchange for releasing the Los Angeles market. Of course, with Option 1 a possibility, the team ultimately feels that it has the leverage to force a deal on terms it wants, or make the play for Los Angeles.

Good Cop, Bad Cop
    Fabiani is playing the "Bad Cop" as part of a "Good Cop, Bad Cop" routine in an attempt to help reach a deal in San Diego. In this theory, Fabiani supplies a villain for CSAG to work against, and facilitate the perception that CSAG didn't simply "roll over" and give the Chargers everything they wanted. In this scenario, Dean Spanos and his family would emerge to make the deal, as Fabiani fades into the background, or reverses his rhetoric and re-embraces San Diego as the vote for a stadium closes in.

I'm really not sure which one it is, and it may be some combination of all three options.

What's Next?
    Assuming Option 1 isn't the option, Fabiani and the Chargers should be concerned with the possibility of a backlash if the San Diego community believes the team is acting in bad faith. At this point, he comes across as The Mouth of Sauron to most everyone in San Diego.

On Wednesday evening, the UT San Diego's Editorial Board even took Fabiani and the Chargers to task, despite the opinions of some of its writers.

"If this team ends up in Los Angeles, it won't be because ownership exhausted all opportunities to reach a deal in San Diego. It will be because, when it came to crunch time, they didn't try." - UT San Diego Editorial Board 3/25/15

It's also apparent the NFL has noticed the accelerated timeline CSAG has pushed, and NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell indicated he was at least pleased with it.

I think we'll all get a really good handle on the Chargers' intentions by the middle of April, when NFL VP Eric Grubman is scheduled to meet with CSAG. According to Bernie Wilson of the AP, Grubman will be meeting via teleconference with the entire groupon April 7th, and then personally meeting with a sub-group of CSAG members Jason Hughes, Walt Ekard, and Rod Dammeyer on April 15th.

This means we'll know how serious the Chargers are in May, because that's when Grubman reports his findings to the NFL at the next round of owners meetings. We'll also see CSAG's financing plan in May, assuming the NFL and/or the Chargers haven't forced a restart for downtown or told CSAG not to bother.

In less than 2 months, we'll know how serious CSAG, the Chargers, and the NFL are about reaching a deal to keep the team in San Diego.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    I don't mind so much as long as they remain as the Chargers.

The way I see it, they're clearly trying to stay in San Diego, but if they exhaust all options and can't get something done there but they can get a stadium in LA, then they don't really have much of a choice.

It'd be different if they had a viable SD proposal and still bounced, but they've been trying to get something done in SD for a while now, and will hopefully succeed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,378
    :eek:

Damn it, there goes my day after visualizing Matty in a pair of those !!!!!!

22. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,378

Oh damn, hasn't Eminem (#85) let himself go !!! :eek:

• Funny Funny x 1
  23. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +276
    Pro Football today... PFT... nothing but a rumor mill... all I can say is I take what they say with a grain of salt...

ppppppppppppppppppfffffffffffffffffffffffftttttttttttttttttttt

24. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +389
    I know remodeling the Murph is off the table, but one thing I don't understand is how the Charger's say they need a new stadium because the old one doesn't have luxury boxes and they can't sell PSLs. But talking from the other side of their mouths, they can't have those things in San Diego anyway because there aren't enough big corporations in town that typically take up luxury boxes and buy PSLs.
    If they really want to stay, and they know can't sell luxury boxes and PSLs, why not pump a couple hundred million into a remodel? It worked okay for the Superdome in 2006 ($180 mil after Katrina literally blew it up), which was built in 1975.
    Just fix the fricken leaks, patch the cracks, paint the mofo, invest in some new chairs, and bolt in some state of the art wide screens already.
    Confucius say: If you really don't want to do something, any old excuse will suffice.

25. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,413
    That would assume that they actually want to stay. But is that really the case?

Everything out of Fabiani's mouth suggests that the Chargers are trying to convince the other NFL owners that nothing worthwhile can be accomplished in San Diego, and the team needs to move on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    PSL's? Are they really trying to get that? Hasn't it been proven over and over that PSL's and the like work against a team (Ironically, the Raiders and Rams come to mind)?

27. ChargerMike

Ratings:
    +481
    Well said sir.
    That's the vibe I've been getting ever since this all started.
    Fact of the matter is., Spanos is watching all of these other teams get new pads., now he wants one to "keep up with the Jones's"....I'm sure he tired of being the laughing stock amongst his billionaire owner peers.
    "Yo...hey Deano....how'ya do'n.....so when are you gonna finally move outta that prehistoric dump"??!!!!!

28. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,737
    On the drive home today, I listened to an interview between Jim Steeg and Scott & BR. Steeg seems to be saying that whatever we (as in all fans and the media spins) have heard up to this point involving the stadium will not be finalized until May 20th. That's when the committee presents it's report on the financing and other community issues that have a direct relation to the status of building the new stadium. Steeg also seems to see the Carson activity as a ploy or screen of sorts, and that for whatever it is worth, there will be something positive and all parties (NFL owners, team Spanos, city and county) will come up with a real (and not imagined) plan. He did say that certain members of the committee have been encouraged to bypass Fabiani and deal with Spanos directly. What I gathered from this interview is that until May 20th or 21st, a lot of changes, rumors, stories, etc. have happened and will continue to happen over the course of the next 4 weeks, and the finished product will be vastly different from what we all currently perceive. He did make mention as well as Kaplan about the media negativity and public grumblings about what we think may happen vs. what will be stated come mid-May...

• Like Like x 2
  29. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    is it in Fabiani's best interest to get a stadium done or to draw ount the process and milk the Spanos for everything he can?

• Informative Informative x 1