1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

PFW: Comment on the Bolts D

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Buttmunch, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Buttmunch

Buttmunch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    Caught this little take from PFW's Whispers around the NFL.

Skeptics around the NFL question whether new Chargers defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell will utilize the same aggressive tendencies that Wade Phillips worked to perfection with the Chargers' personnel, but sources in San Diego believe the bigger question will be whether Cottrell can match Phillips' stellar in-game coaching adjustments.

What sayeth you?

I have to admit that is the one thing I'm worried about when it comes to Cottrell. Can he adjust on the fly like Phillips did and will he take the foot off the pedal too soon when it comes to bringing pressure? Wade had a lot of confidence in these guys, and as a result allowed them to be playmakers. I love LT, but watching our D swarm the offense consistently last year was a thing of beauty. :tup:

2. 400HZ

400HZ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15
    I image that Ron Rivera will provide a lot of help in that regard.

3. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    NO MORE Prevent "us from winning" Defense.... balls-to-the-wall.... go for the jugular... take no prisoners... send the thundering hoards... :yes:

then it won't matter, who's calling the D...

4. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    Ted Cottrell owns Wade Phillips hard. I hated Wade but that was just me. Who can forget my FU Wade Phillips thread

5. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    My opinion fwiw is that Cameron and Phillips were the beneficiaries of an awesome football roster last year.

6. Kev

Kev BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +39
    :)

Sounds about right. We'll see how well those two do with different raw materials this year, and then it will be more apparent whether they were actually good coaches or just lucky to have good players.

After all, you can't make butter with a toothpick.

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    too early to tell and Cottrell was pretty aggressive in buffalo under Phillips

8. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Just say NO to zone coverage when Jammer is on the field.

9. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    I agree with that horrid prevent D on 3rd down all the time. Little blood vessels in my head would explode every time I saw it. Why would Wade tell them to line up 15 yrds off the ball on 3rd down? It was infuriating. Take that play and rip it up and then set the pieces on fire and then put the fire out with urine!

10. 17Rocks

17Rocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +135

:icon_eek:

I think I would have worded that differently...:lol:

11. timepiece33

timepiece33 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +25
    My opinion is people underrated how good our coordinators were last year AND will miss their ability.

12. Chavez

Chavez Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    Cottrell has publically stated that he intends to be more aggressive, especially on 3rd downs.

Besides, even if he's less aggressive overall - if we can just get rid of the "prevent" death trap I think I would be happy. I still say that's what lost us the Patriots game when we went to that at the end of the first half. We were killing them up to that point.

13. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Could be true, and Cottrell worries me. I can't lie there.

But I think that Cam had a huge tendency to get too cute for his own good, like we saw in the second half of the playoff game vs NE. I don't see any one particular element in Cam's play calling that would lead me to believe that we are taking a step back with Norv.

I also think that having an experienced QB under center is going to allow Norv to do alot of things Cam couldn't with a green Rivers last year.

14. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Won't know till we see the games. But if this defense stays fairly healthy it will do very well. If the pass defense especially the d-backfield improves the chargers defense should be very very good. Here's to hoping.:bolt: :flag: :flag: :icon_party:

15. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    yup, I can't get a fix on his game... and he's not likely to "show" during preseason... by mid season tho, we should know what we've got on both sides of the ball... by then, we'll be 8-0....:yes:

16. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Agree with you there EC. I've always said that Cam "outcoached" himself going to the pass more in the 2nd half, when we should have handed the rock more than 9 times in the 2nd half to our HOF record setting RB. They couldn't stop LT and the line. Until they stop it, THEN pass. NE didn't stop the run, Fricking CAM did!

17. asela

asela BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    I was very concerned about Cottrell taking over, but I'm feeling more optimistic seeing reports of how open Cottrell is, and even AJ saying how Rivera was brought in to work with Ted.

I expect our defense to get 10+ more turnovers, perhaps as many as 15+ more. We dropped at least 5-7 INTs alone. With all the reports of Norv improving the offense, as long as we can consistently move the chains and execute, the defense won't be on the field long. They'll be fresh, and if they improve their recovered turnovers, the Offense will be wearing out opposing defenses.

Rivera once complained about Lovie Smith's defensive strategy, that it was too passive (sit back and react). Rivera cut his teeth as a player with Buddy Ryan, and as a coach with Jim Johnson's Philly attacking D. So Rivera will support an aggressive style, aimed at forcing turnovers.

Being lucky and staying healthy will be the key. Also, with the new rules, one of the refs will be moved away from the middle of the field, to the side, and it's expected to allow refs to see more holding calls on DE's/outside rushers. Perhaps then, the refs will get over their Merriman-bias and start calling the offensive holding against him, ie the Pats game.

18. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    The answer is in the the article.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20070209-9999-1s9chargers.html

Pagano is still here.
    What a relief, thanks SDfan

19. Kyle

Kyle BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    Reminds me of Dallas in the 90's. When I think of those teams, the first thing I think of is Emmitt, Emmitt, and more Emmitt. They rode their horse. Even when he had that shoulder injury. They new he was their money maker and never let their foot off the gas. Which in turn set up more opportunities in the passing game. Not using LT when NE has never really stopped him is a sin.

20. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    And you can't roller skate in a buffalo herd.

21. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    It is easy to second guess and say Cam was getting cute.

Teams after halftime do their adjustments.

There is something to be said, if they can not stop it, then continue to do it until they can.

Defensive coordinators simply have to stack the box as an adjustment which O-Coordinators expect and then you are screwed if you do not open up your game plan.

What I am saying is Cam should have expected the Patriots to adjust after halftime to stop the run so naturally he counters with catching them off guard by passing. There is nothing wrong with that chess move and it happens every game.

The players needs to shut the fuc up and execute what they are told. If we Lombardi sweep their asses into the stone age then so be it. If we Air Coryell their asses into a full nelson submission, rock and roll. Shut the hell up and execute. :bolt:

22. Ray Dahayder

Ray Dahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    With our defensive talent, I don't think AJ will sit still for a conservative type of defense. If that's what Cotrell starts playing, I hope AJ fires him and makes Rivera the DC.

It would be idiotic to start playing soft defense with the guys we have now. And I agree with scraping that soft prevent crap on 3rd downs.

23. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +501
    This season will silence all the Norv Turner hater's out there when we get a deep playoff run and just plain and simple..we're the San Diego SUPER Chargers and Rex better get used to the feel of turf on his back

24. timepiece33

timepiece33 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +25
    Some people claimed Cam was "too cute". In the grand scheme of things, he did a phenomenal job of scheming so teams couldn't isolate Tomlinson. The guy secured a head coaching job for his work. I didn't like the way our team played in the 2nd half

Cottrell is what he is. A vet coach who knows the system. He has had success in his current role AND he's struggled a little bit, but he isn't bad.

25. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    The "word" is from my sources (I sound like ANT now so somebody shoot me) we will be playing a lot of Cover 1.

I dig Cover One. It allows the FS to cheat up and wreak havoc and allows the rest of the gorillas to man up.

If what I am told unfolds, look to see an abundance of secondary blitzes from the coverage packages.

The turnover drills are something which is being emphasized like a mother as well.

26. Buttmunch

Buttmunch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    It also means Jammer better learn how to make more than a 10 degree turn with his head when covering a guy. :yes:

27. NW Bolt Fan

NW Bolt Fan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    Have to say I echo EC's take. Cottrell worries me. He didn't do much with Minnesota, which last year (in his absence) excelled. He had some pretty mad talent in NY when they played us in the playoffs, and they were hot and cold. Jets fans were ALL OVER him- 'course they were all over their OC too...

As for Cam, he was the benefactor of a TREMENDOUS offensively talented team. Disagree with you there Trumpie. You do what works. His playcalling was shameful in the playoff loss.

I stand by my earlier prognostication that Cam will be fired by the end of the '09 season. He'll get this one to try and change. Then, following an even worse season- he'll be canned.

28. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    Sounds like it's possible. Maybe everyone should blow their money on my chargers sack bet and go for 50-1 odds on Weddle. Weddle was blitzed a lot at Utah. Comeon TM go lay down 200 to win 10000

29. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I just saw your thread and I am putting some of this BoltCash moola on my boy, Clinton Hart. :yes:

30. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    So my $500 bet wins me $37,000.00 in BoltCash...woohoo !! :icon_toast: