1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

PFW: The way we hear it

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    July 23, 2007

The Chargers were probably the quietest team in free agency this offseason but still own one of the most complete rosters in the NFL. The only problem our sources can find is that the depth on both the offensive and defensive lines isn’t particularly strong and should have been addressed in the spring. The main concern lies at the NT position, where Jamal Williams is a Pro Bowl performer and the main cog in the 3-4 defense, but there is little experience behind him. Fourth-year player Ryon Bingham is serviceable in spot duty, but a severe drop-off would be noticeable if he were pressed into duty for an extended period. The Chargers will surely keep an eye on the waiver wire during camp in case a veteran or two become available to stabilize their primary weakness.

2. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    I don't think we would pick up an NT that gets waived by another team. Next year we'll draft an NT 2nd or 3rd round.

3. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Historically there have not been a lot of 3-4 capable NTs comming out in the draft. We got the Manster in the suplemental if I remember correctly.

4. super_deluxe

super_deluxe World Class

Ratings:
    +46
    THE RAIDERS ARE THE WORST SCUM ON THE PLANET!!!!!!!!!
    Their week one game will have the worst ratings on the west coast of all time.

5. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Especially if it is a home game, cause it will be blacked out in Chokeland.

6. Steve

Steve BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +19
    I am not sure we will get a shot at any NT types getting cut. Every team (even 43 teams) can use more DL help. 34 NT can play DT in the 43. All the other 34 teams are looking for depth there too. At some point we will have to bite the bullet and spend a high pick to draft one, or consider the shift back to 43.

Finding a 1 or 2 backup NT just floating around... that is a pretty good one. First, we don't have that many roster spots to devote to one position that we won't even be using full time. We pull Jamal off the field on passing downs and switch to a 4 man rush line. If we can get someone to backup Jamal, great, but getting 2 is both unreasonable to even hope for and impossible since we don;t have enough roster spots to even keep them.

As long as we have Jamal, there is no question about what front to play. He is the best NT/DT in football right now.

The only thing I think is funny about our 34 is that we orignainlly went to the 34 because it was too tough to find good DL. We now carry 7 DL (Jamal/Bingham/McKinney;Igor/Robinson;Castillo/Ceseare), who are at least decent players, and could be solid backups in the 43. We also have Harris who is too small to be a full time DE, but would be an OK situational rusher plus Merriman and Phillips who are both the size of many 43 DE. By my figuring that is 10 good DL type players, which is enough to stock a 43 or 34. Good DL are just as hard to find for any D. the only hting is finding top pass rushers might be easier in the 34 then the 43, although I still maintain that many guys like Merriman and Phillips would be just as effective at 43 DE as they would at OLB in the 34.

7. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    Tank still looking for a job?

8. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Tank Johnson has a clean record since paying his debt to society. Might be worth looking into.

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    only player we have on the roster most like Jamal in SIZE is Brandon McKinney

10. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +635
    After getting rid of our problem players (Foley, Kiel) do we really want to bring in another problem? I say no, plus he's still suspended for 8 games isn't he?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Steve

Steve BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +19
    Tank Johnson is a big guy, but he doesn't play as big as Jamal. Tank is more of a penetrator and disruption kind of guy. He doesn't stack and beat the double team. I am not sure if we can afford to get that picky, but he isn't going to fill Jamal's shoes all that well, at least in terms of being a drop in replacement. He also has the upcoming suspension, which would make him a bit of a distraction as well.

12. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    He knows Rivera well. He has been clean since his gun charges. The Bears cut him for charges that were dropped, right? He's an elite talent on the DL.

If he's out the first 8 games, he should be cheap to sign and be ready for the playoff run, right?

13. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86

He penetrates and distrupts, but doesn't stack and beat a double team? lol How does he penetrate and distrupt then? He beats double teams as much as anyone. He'd fit just fine in the middle for SD. Teams would have to double team him and he'd still make some plays on his own. Otherwise he'd be opening it up for the LBers to run free with one less guy blocking them just like Williams does now.

No one can fill William's shoes completely OBVIOUSLY, but when you consider the abilities and talent level of the options available, Tank is BY FAR the best option.

14. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +635
    I like hearing that this team has high character guys, I don't want to cheer for someone like Tank

15. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    Worrying about backup NT is a little premature. This team has a tendency to produce guys who are surprisingly good from down the depth-chart. Kris Dielman, anyone? Shaun Phillips? Michael Turner? Malcolm Floyd was a sucker's bet to even make the team last year, and this year many people think he could challenge as a starter. Stephen Cooper? Matt Wilhelm?

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Jamal already has a qualified fill-in behind him on this roster--at least a guy who would be as good as anyone we could pick up on the waiver wire. No, he won't be as good as Jamal but damn, who is?

16. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    I agree finding another jamall would be very difficult to find. The only thing I can come up with is use IGOR at the nose tackle spot. He'd be the next best thing in my opinion. And for the future draft another d-tackle like Castillo if possible to anchor the other side if IGOR winds up playing nose tackle in the future.

Right now I'd guess d-tackle will be the 1st round pick next year. Or best player available if all the good d-tackles have been taken.

17. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Didn't we give up next season's 3rd for Weedle?

18. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    MTL was the only one to predict he would make the roster on SDron's poll last year :yes: