1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

PFW: Whispers around the NFL - AFC WEST

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Buttmunch, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Buttmunch

Buttmunch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    • The problems Denver had defensively in the first two preseason games were considered more mental than physical. Alignment mistakes stemming from the players still learning Jim Bates' new system were the most glaring flaw, especially in the LB corps.

• Second-year WR Brandon Marshall has officially removed himself from Mike Shanahan's doghouse by eventually working his way through the quadriceps injury that sidelined him for the first two weeks of camp and making several nice grabs in the preseason.

• We hear the Chiefs are prepared to remain patient with rookie PK Justin Medlock despite his struggles. However, if they continue into the regular season, it might be another story.

• OLT Damion McIntosh has a target date of Week 1 to return from a second-degree tear of the medial collateral ligament in his right knee, which required surgery Aug. 9. Yet, considering that he hadn't begun participating in contact drills as of this writing, we're told it's more likely to expect him in Week 2. His return would be a big boost to an offensive line that has struggled in the preseason.

• Rookie WR Dwayne Bowe hasn't made the impression the Chiefs had hoped for quite yet, and the learning curve remains a steep one. One of the big issues for him has been a lack of precision in his routes, and he currently remains behind Samie Parker on the depth chart.

• Word out of Oakland is that FB Justin Griffith is expected to make a big difference in the running game, and his versatility as a runner, receiver and blocker should be put to good use by Lane Kiffin and Co.

• Sources close to the Raiders believe it's only a matter of time until veteran C Jeremy Newberry supplants Jake Grove in the starting lineup. Newberry brings a much-needed nasty demeanor to the line and is fundamentally sound from a technique standpoint.

The Chargers have been dropping OLB Shawne Merriman into coverage more this preseason than they did in his first two years as a pro. Sources say the Chargers are simply experimenting and giving opposing offenses something else to think about.

• QB Philip Rivers is showing more pocket awareness and mobility in San Diego, which may add a new element to Norv Turner's play-calling.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    :icon_rofl:

Seems Dwayne Bowe is going to be another BIG WR that didn't have to work too hard in college (see the "Yugo") and now is trying to coast at the NFL level.

So who is the best WR out of LSU this year?

:yes:
    |
    |
    \/

3. Buttmunch

Ratings:
    +108
    If you saw the episode of Hard Knocks: Training Camp with the KC Chiefs where Bowe finally signs and makes it to camp, you get the first glimpse of a guy who needs to nut up.

When the vets give him crap and tease him, you see a take of him walking off the field where he makes the comment about how he expected to get some crap from the guys for being a rookie, but "it's getting old and he's getting tired of it." Something to that effect. The guy is a freaking physical speciman (wow, is that leisure talking), but I think he felt like he could just walk into the NFL and be proclaimed the starter. He better nut up mentally, because the queefs are in for a long season. Guy is looking like a primadonna.

4. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    No I did see that, but from what I have heard this guy reminds me of that BustaBMW. Welcome to the real world(NFL), now he should just shut his piehole and do his reps. 1st rnd pick and he is bringing up the rear on the depth chart. :tdown:

Nah, if it was leisure talking, then there would be reference to a "bubble" somewhere.

5. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    I said that during this forums mock draft and got shelled...

6. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    :lol:

AJ has done it again. Craig "buster" Davis is going to be 100% better than Dwayne Bowe will ever be as an NFL Super Star.

So Kwak We will see your boy get numbers that will in my opinion top all the rookies this season. :yes: :tup:

7. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    Well, I think you are going to be right! :tup:

Only thing I didn't want, is any of those over-hyped USC WRs, but didn't really have a target for WR. Was way to work busy to look much at the draft this year.

8. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I wanna here more about how AJ "reached" for Buster. I especially want to here that come January.

9. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    Yeah, just like he OVER SPENT on Weddle.

Defininte roster guy VS late round camp fodder.

AJ drafts for NEED not to stockpile players and hope something sticks. That is for 2-14 teams that have a roster that looks like swiss cheese.

10. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Yeah. 4 years ago, we needed as many picks as we could get to stock the team.

Now, AJ is in the position of being able to make due with only 3 or 4 draft picks and bundle as needed, as long as those are high quality players that will enhance the team's depth.

The fact that our first 5 picks will almost assuredly make the team is a tribute to AJ and Buddy's continued drafting prowess. Obviously, 3 (maybe 4) of those picks are replacing guys that were cast off. Nevertheless, the fact that several of them can seriously challenge for a starting role already is a testament to their quality.

11. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    ...and deservedly so!! :icon_rofl: :icon_tease:

12. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Great post, Slug!! :tup: :icon_toast:

13. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Can't believe THAT BS is still makin the rounds :rolleyes: :icon_rofl:

14. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    You're absolutely right. No more words against AJ. Let them play
    We'll finally got to see if all fits in the right place.
    I'm happy about the roumors in the other AFC west teams -
    we got to be on top quick after a hard first series of games.

15. Buttmunch

Ratings:
    +108
    You also said BQ wasn't going to be a QB in the NFL. :icon_tease:

Joking.....just had to get a zinger in there for the domers. Don't even say it...I know it's only preseason.

16. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    AJ & Co. has turned this team into a football machine. Great picks and excellent play has given him the opportunity to just fill the shelves with fresh stock. I'm lovin it and to think we've only just begun.:bolt:

17. OverVolt

OverVolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18

I would bet the #7 pick also makes the team.

18. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    :yes: He's on the depth chart that came out last night

19. Ray Dahayder

Ray Dahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    • OLT Damion McIntosh has a target date of Week 1 to return from a second-degree tear of the medial collateral ligament in his right knee, which required surgery. His return would be a big boost to an offensive line that has struggled in the preseason.
    ===============

wow, if McIntosh is a "big boost" to their OL, they are in big trouble.

================

• Rookie WR Dwayne Bowe hasn't made the impression the Chiefs had hoped for quite yet, and he currently remains behind Samie Parker on the depth chart.
    ================

I guess AJ must know something after all. Check his pants..... the boy's got crystal balls.

20. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Could be. All those on the bubble will get extensive playing time Thursday. Our starters will get only one or two possessions, if any.