1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Phil Simms impressed with resurgent Chargers

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Feb 7, 2006
    Thursday, Jan 08, 2009
    By Casey Pearce , Chargers.com

By early December, former Giants quarterback and current CBS game analyst Phil Simms was in the same place as many Chargers fans.

“I probably wrote the Chargers off at least five times,” Simms said. “I’ll never forget when they were playing Kansas City that day and losing. I just go, ‘Wow, what a disaster. I can’t believe how they fell apart.’ Then they come back and win. I fell into that trap many times. How could you not?”

The Week 15 contest against the Chiefs was the afternoon in which the Chargers’ playoff hopes came down to an onside kick in the final minute, which they recovered and eventually completed an improbable comeback from an 18-point deficit in the fourth quarter.

Simms hasn’t seen the Chargers in person since their Week 11 contest in Pittsburgh but will have a close view of the Bolts this weekend. He’ll be in the broadcast booth beside Jim Nantz to call Sunday’s Chargers-Steelers game.

Although the Bolts fell victim to a last-second field goal in front of Simms that day, he saw some improvements and believes the Steeler game was “where they started to turn the corner a little bit.”

The Chargers enter Sunday’s game with an NFL-best five-game winning streak, and Simms believes momentum can’t be underestimated this time of year.

“I always say it, Bill Parcells said it to me once: you’ve got to catch that fever,” Simms said. “Once you catch that fever, you get rolling. The Chargers really haven’t been hot all year long until now. They’ve got it going. The confidence, it has to be the first time they’ve had sustained confidence during the whole year.”

Simms believes the self-assuredness was no more evident than last Saturday night when the Chargers overcame two second-half turnovers to beat Indianapolis.

“They really played with confidence against the Colts,” Simms said. “There were some moments where you just go, ‘The Chargers are just going to refuse to win this game,’ but they still hung in there and got it done.”

Defensive Coordinator Ron Rivera was in just his second week with his new responsibilities when Simms saw the Chargers in November, and the Super Bowl XXI MVP raved about how the Bolts have improved on the defensive side of the ball.

“As I watched the Chargers play the Colts last week, I turned to somebody and said, ‘This is how they played in the AFC Championship Game against New England where they actually outplayed the great New England offense,” Simms said. “They were all over the receivers. They put pressure on the quarterback. They never sat back and just let themselves be picked apart. To me, that’s when that defense is at its best. It’s amazing that they’ve rounded it up here so late in the year.”

The thing that has impressed Simms most about Rivera’s defense is their ability to force three-and-outs unlike they did earlier in the season.

“It gets (the offense) back on the field,” Simms said. “It gives them more opportunities. That’s as important as anything because most of the year, the San Diego offense, they have a lot of talent but we always had to talk about them as they were on the sideline watching their defense get pushed all the way down the field.”

Simms credited Norv Turner and Rivera for the strong turnaround, citing the fact that the people haven’t changed but the on-field performance has.

“I believe in the NFL, first and foremost, you better have good coaches,” Simms said. “You better have the coaches first who know how to put them in position to at least have a chance to show their physical abilities. That’s what the Chargers have done here and it’s really been the difference in what they do.”

Simms also add, “I’m not taking anything away from Philip Rivers, but (Turner is) making Philip Rivers a star.”

As Simms looked back on the Week 11 game between the Chargers and Steelers, he recalled the Bolts’ red-zone struggles that day and noted that Rivers and company have done a much better job in that area lately.

“They’re going to look at the film and say, ‘We lost 11-10, but my gosh were there a lot of plays to be made,’” Simms said. “At least they gave themselves the opportunity. They did not cash in. It’s a few weeks later. I’m sure they think they’re sharper. If this time they get those opportunities, they’ve got to make those plays.”

Simms lauded Rivers’ play this season and believes he’ll have to have a big game Sunday to give his team a chance to win.

“Philip Rivers had time to throw the ball (in Week 11),” Simms said. “They did get people open down the field. I didn’t think overall that Philip Rivers played one of his better games, so I’m sure they’ll be looking to correct that.”

Chargers v Steelers game time weather tracking
  2. BLITZED56

BLITZED56 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Good read, thanks JL.

DAMN IS IT SUNDAY YET?????????????
  3. Kwak

Kwak ....

May 25, 2006
    I've always liked Simms. He keeps a pretty good neutral stance on things. He is not one of those guys who will lick a players sack like Dierdork.

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Jul 11, 2006
    Good read and thanks. :tup:
  5. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Nice read. I watched the replay of our regular season meeting on NFLN last night.

We're gonna whup these guys. :tup: :abq2: :abq1: