1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Philip is our point guard

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Buck Melanoma, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Written in a drunken stupor on Thursday night - 2 bottle night. :icon_party:

Tequila helps my muse. :lol:

You can ask a good portion of the current athletes in today's sports' world who the best athletes are and they will tell you NBA players. Why? These guys measure anywhere from 6'4" to 7"+ and can move like ballet dancers - they cut & stop on a dime, leap well above a 10' rim, drop a 30' jump shot into an 18" diameter rim, box out a 6"4"+ plus defender to grab a basketball.

You think that it's an accident that NFL players like Tony Gonzalez & Antonio Gates have become household names at the TE position in the NFL? Are you smoking crack?? These guys know how to use their bodies to shield, to put themselves into position to defend against a defender batting the ball away & grab a pass as if it is a rebound.

Philip Rivers is a guy who knows this. For as good & competitive as Rivers is, he has an advantage over many QB's in the NFL. He has a group of receivers who know how to ball.

Vincent Jackson - 6'5". Antonio Gates - 6'4". Malcom Floyd - 6'5". Tall ... and these guys know how to use it. You see, these guys aren't just football players - they can work around a hoop, too. And if you don't think that helps, just watch any of them on a Sunday afternoon. Sure, they play football. But watch the routes that these guys run & the way that they work a defender. Buttonhook? Sounds like posting up to me. Covered on the initial route? Work back to your point guard. Throw it up under the basket - I can work my way into an alley-oop.

Rivers is the point guard with multiple big bodies who know how to work towards the basket. Are we talking football or basketball here?

Does it matter? Not in San Diego. These guys have come to understand that the language of gaining position means scoring, regardless of the shape of the ball. The only thing that they can't do is dribble - and that remains to be seen too.

Low post. High post. The San Diego Chargers will hit the 3-pointer or the alley-oop.

Better take notice because notice has been served. It's a new game, biatches. Prepare to be served.

2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    That is some excellent stuff! I never thought of how the plays we are running on the side resemble basketball routes...

Makes sense, Turner is wise.... The players are Ninjas...

3. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Mini-me is wise .... :icon_rofl:

4. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,582
    :bow::clap::bow::clap::bow:

5. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    he wouldn't have our guys do that if they weren't physical. guarantee if we had like ochocinco or TO, we wouldnt be doing that. thats also why were so successful at grabbing the long ball, especially when the ball is kinda underthrown, our guys know how to box out the defender, sometimes even two, to grab the board-- er pass.

speaking of, i remember there being basketball style chargers jerseys, anyone know where we could get those? #17 one would be sick cuz that is VERY true, we're playing basketball out there

6. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    Pretty cool. I would think hockey would be pretty close for some of the best athletes though

7. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Norv's a basketball coach???? and all this time I thought he was a football coach!!!!!!!!! :icon_huh::icon_shrug::icon_eek:

8. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Hence the mindf.uck. :abq1: