1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Philip River Interview

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Thumper, May 3, 2008.

1. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    LINK

What will you be doing in minicamp?

I don't know if me and (head coach) Norv (Turner) have the same vision. I really don't know what direction we're going to take. I will be able to do routes on air – throw and catch. I could probably do some seven-on-seven. I've done the routes on air stuff, mostly from the shotgun. I'm not dropping full speed yet.

You always predicted you would be ahead of schedule. Are you at all surprised by where you are?

I'm real pleased. I'm at the point now where I have to bear down. I'm getting a little impatient. You get tired of doing the rehab. You get tired of doing the one-legged this and that. Now is the most crucial time. It feels really good and you've got to get it really strong. I'm definitely ahead. We've still got three months to the start of training camp.

So do you think by training camp you'll be 100 percent?

Without the brace you wouldn't even know I got hurt. I'll be able to just go. Now I don't know what the plan will be. Will I take every rep in practice like I would? Will I practice twice a day? Or will there be some days where they say, 'Take the morning off'?

How much have they cautioned you, in that you are getting impatient?

As far as doing stuff out on the field, it's like James (Collins, the Chargers head athletic trainer) says, you're not going to hurt it. You've got just as much chance of stepping out of the truck wrong and hurting it as you do out here doing a drill. We're past the point where you have to be careful how you're walking.

So you anticipate no problems with the knee this season?

I don't. I'm going to for sure wear a brace. You watch guys like (Antonio) Cromartie come back, and they don't wear a brace. Is it 100 percent necessary? No. But I think I will do it. It's not going to hinder me. It just gives you something extra. They say you're good to return to activity, but it's really 12 to 18 months until you're back to normal.

After you got hurt in Indy (in a 28-24 playoff victory), what were you thinking on the plane home?

We still haven't verified for sure what's happened, so I'm just happy about the win. I was like, 'Hey, I can play, can't I?' They're like, 'Just wait.' I'm pushing already.

You tore the meniscus in Indy and the ACL. So what was the process of deciding what to do about it?

We got back and went straight to Dr. (David) Chao's office, had X-rays and the MRI. I had the meniscus tear. He told me the ACL is gone. That's hard enough to play with. But the meniscus, with the way it is, is going to keep catching. It's going to keep doing that, and eventually it's going to lock on you. It could be in the first quarter, it could be on the first play, and then you're done for the game. Dr. Chao said, 'The only chance I think you have is to have the surgery (on the meniscus).' He said, 'Usually that's a two-week recovery, but I've seen someone do it in seven days.'

The ACL was gone. So the surgery that week was to take out the meniscus?

Yeah. They took out some of the meniscus, a pretty good portion of it.

That's crazy. Whose idea was it for you to do all this to play?

They told me multiple times, 'Make sure you know the best thing for Philip Rivers is to not play. Let's just go repair the ACL, do the meniscus and do it at the same time and you'll be done.' By no means was I pushed into playing by anyone. But I was pushing them to get me to play. I told them, 'I want to play, tell me how I can play.' Now had it been something where this was, 'I can't let you,' then I wouldn't have done it. It was a matter of, 'Can you handle it?'

That was Monday morning. We went and decided to do it at 10 o'clock. I was trying to say, 'Do you think there is a way we can just try to rehab it and not have the surgery?' Because I was just afraid if we have the surgery and then I can't do it, I'm going to be going, 'Golly, if I wouldn't have had the surgery. ... ' Once you go in there you don't know. But they said this thing is going to keep clicking on you. You have a better chance – not a good chance, but a better chance – if you have the surgery.

OK, so now, three months later, did you honestly think you were going to be able to play in the AFC Championship Game?

Tuesday and Wednesday, I remember saying at home, 'I can't do it.' Friday, after I threw, I knew I was going to play. I'll tell you this, and I've told a few people this. Me and (wife) Tiffany are really strong Catholics, strong Christians. I remember on the way home from Dr. Chao's office (Sunday night) I was pretty upset. I was sobbing, I couldn't catch my breath. I couldn't believe this happened. The next morning I was talking to my mom about something. Saint Sebastian is the patron saint of athletes. He was a soldier back in the 280s. He got shot with arrows and was left for dead and stayed alive ... I was talking to my mom and she said, 'You know next Sunday is his feast day.' The day of the Patriot game! I was like, 'That's no coincidence.' It was overwhelming. I was like, 'I'm definitely going to play now.'

So we always felt – me and Tiffany and my family – it wasn't just I'm a tough guy. ... That was the spiritual side to it. It was deeper than I was rehabbing, I'm pretty tough. There was more to it.

Is the AFC Championship Game – a 21-12 Patriots win – different if you have Antonio Gates and LaDainian Tomlinson?

Oh, sure.

I look at the one play Tedy Bruschi broke up at the goal line ...

No question. (If Gates is healthy) there is no question he accelerates away from him. Bruschi just barely got his hand on it. Gates would have been farther ahead.

It's hard to say. I don't want to make it sound like we would have won if we had those guys, but you look at it and say, 'Man, we got to this point and we're all banged up. Had we just been healthy, what would it have been like?' But we were healthy in Week 2 and got blown out of the stadium.

Were any bad throws that game due to your knee?

No. Maybe indirectly, but not like, 'If I wasn't hurt I would have made the throw.'

This is a young team that returns a lot of people. What do you think advancing to the AFC Championship Game does for this team?

It was a huge step for the whole organization. You could just feel it. We hadn't been there for 13 years. The whole progression. Two years ago, I thought it was too big for us – for me, for a lot of us. We just panicked completely, 100 percent. Then (this past January) we go to the Colts, had things go wrong, it could have all unraveled, and everyone kind of hung in there. When we went there and did that, I said, 'We've emerged. We've grown up. We really are who we said we want to be.'

But you've got to do it. We're not guaranteed to get back there. But we know what to expect and what it's like. We know how to go 1-3, start off bad and deal with it. Nothing is going to have us all panicked.

We know what happened the week before the AFC Championship Game when you yelled at Colts fans in Indianapolis, and we know what happened on Christmas Eve against Denver when you were shouting toward Broncos players. I'm amazed at how the AFC Championship Game – when you played despite injuries and surgery – changed the perception nationally and even locally of Philip Rivers.

Yeah. That's crazy. It's amazing. It's a shame to me the perception was so far the other way in the first place. ... Last year was good for me. I learned a lot. Perception is a lot of everything. You can't get caught up in it.

But it bothered you at first, didn't it?

At first it did. I felt like, 'Golly, that's not how I am.' I didn't want to go into defense mode. But at the same time I was like, 'Come on, guys. Are you kidding me? Are we really making this big a deal out of it?' The intentions weren't (what people were saying). You know how I do. You see me on the practice field. But I know how it looked. I watched it and went, 'Ah.' It didn't look great.

We're talking about Denver now?

Yeah. I've watched the clip (in which Rivers is seen shouting). I know it didn't look great. But at the same time, it's not like I'm saying anything ugly.

I've come full circle. The one thing I will say is I want to do away with talking to the crowd. You can always enjoy interacting with the crowd. But on the road you're never going to win. It's all perception.

You certainly want people to perceive you as you are – as a person, a dad, all that. But that's just not going to happen for everyone, and you can't worry about that.

It's not just football. I can't worry about what people think when we walk into church or we walk into a restaurant with four kids and they think these people are crazy. Well, so what? Sorry.

But when you yelled to the crowd in Cincinnati and Denver two years ago, it was cool. Now it's bad. That's a bummer. Does it take away some of the fun for you?

It does. But there's still ways to interact with them. I don't want to change walking to the locker room and they're all hollering at me, and I say, 'I'll be back.' I'll still do that. That is just fun. You're looking at these people who if you saw (them) on the street you'd say hello to. I'm not mad at anybody. It's all fun.

Do you think you deserved to be portrayed the way you were, as a hero, after the AFC Championship Game?

I read all the comments from my teammates, what they thought about it (playing despite the injury and surgery, completing 19-of-37 passes for 212 yards). I'm not going to say it was every bit of that. I'm trying to figure out how to say it without it sounding like I knew it was cool. It was definitely not something you see every day, but at the same time I didn't feel like I was doing something unbelievable.

But I thought it was cool as I look back on it. It's human nature. You take a little pride – I went out there on one leg and played. I said, 'I'm going out there, and if the other one gets hurt I'm playing on two bad legs.'

What does it mean to you to be a leader?

To me that's the most important thing a quarterback can do, period – more than any pass I can throw, more than any route I've got arm strength for. It takes time. ... I think I was somewhat of a leader in 2006, but it was still new. And now this past year – and we've got a lot of leaders – but I'm at that point where you've earned something. Look, I didn't play (in the AFC Championship Game) to try to get anything. But it's important that (Kris) Dielman and (Nick) Hardwick and (Mike) Goff and (Jeromey) Clary and Marcus (McNeill) can say, 'We've got a guy back there and he's going to play, and we are too.' There is something to that. You've got to gain some respect through some toughness. And you've got to win.

Now that two years have passed, which is the same amount of time that you sat, what is your perspective on the way things have gone at the start of your career?

Honestly, other than the way the last two seasons have ended, it couldn't have played out better. Those two years (backing up Drew Brees) felt like forever. But I really appreciate those two years now. I think I learned a lot, I grew a lot. I got to see it a little bit and get prepared for what it's all about.

How did you grow from last season?

In 2006, I got a false sense of what it's all about. I got a free pass. What I mean is there were some games I was terrible. But we won. And it was like, 'He's a first-year starter.' I got a false sense of, 'This NFL isn't so hard.' I got a lot of credit and didn't get too much blame. It's totally different. I got a real sense of this is how it is.

2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Screw Arby's - I'm thinking Super Bowl!!!! :bolt: :abq2: :abq1: :bolt:

3. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    This is the year. Rivers' 3rd starting. Remember what Norm Chow said.

4. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    "Coaching in the NFL is a helluva lot harder than coaching in college..."

:abq2::abq1::abq2:

5. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    That's not it smartass.

6. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820

"I'm the only Asian man in history with the first name Norm...."

:abq2::abq1::abq2:

7. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680

[​IMG]

8. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    I liked how Philip has decided to stop talking trash with the opposing fans. That is really the only thing that I found objectionable with his behavior last season.

9. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    He isnt the only one that has done it and you dont know what he said to them either.

I dont see how something like " Golly, better luck next time" can be a bad thing. Im sure he isnt spewing smack to them that is unquotable

10. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    TK is right sdc. It's supposed to be "Oriental". Learn some political correctness already. :yes:

11. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Actually "Oriental" is the politically incorrect term. I dated an Asian girl for about four years and was corrected many times.

12. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    No, TK has made it abundantly clear that he likes the term "oriental". :lol:

13. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    dik!

:lol::lol::lol:

14. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Whatever floats his boat. :icon_shrug:

I like the term oriental, an oriental girl sounds much sexier than an asian girl.

15. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
  16. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820

You're right, I'm sorry to all for my ignorance.

I would like to apologize to all the negros all there for calling them African-Americans as well.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Is that a gang sign?

18. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    Actually wrbanwal has it right. EC is just being a dick again.

19. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I dated a Korean chick once in college. Well, we dated more than once - but you get the picture. I didn't worry about the whole Asian/Oriental debate, because she told me she was Korean. I think it's easier to specify a country, than get into continental descriptions.

Asia is a large continent. Churchill tried to help the Russians by getting a foothold into Asia through the Dardanelles in WWI. It almost ruined his reputation for life. Thank God he got to help kick Hitler's *** in WWII.

I've been to Korea (not because of the Korean chick I once dated) in Asia proper, and also to SouthWest Asia (all those M-16 countries). I've also been to Japan.

Where is the Orient, and is anyone from there anymore?

20. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192

Man I hated South Korea and Tokyo, crazy places. The taxi drivers in
    Seoul are crazy:icon_eek:

21. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    The QB-class of 2004 will be completed: Ben, Eli and now Philip.

• Like Like x 1
  22. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    See my sig.....:thumbup:

23. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    Moi? :icon_shrug:

:lol:

Actually, "moi" is extremely gee. I am ashamed.

24. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    Siam is in the Orient but not all Siamese are Oriental.

25. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    If there is no orient, how is there still Oriental food?

26. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820

TK is kinda right you are a dik, but you are really nice about it. You are the Fred Rodgers of Diks around here.

TK is the Pat Morita of diks
    Conc is the Captain Kangaroo of diks
    Eldwin is the HR Pufnstuf of diks
    leisure is the Rip Taylor of diks

[​IMG]

27. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    And that makes your mouth water doesnt it....:icon_tease:

28. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    Shaddup Pillow-pants. :icon_twisted:

29. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +684
    No ****. I was there back in 1979 and 1 foot on the gas and 1 finger glued to the horn. I don't think there were even traffic lanes. It was like a roadway mosh pit, but hell if I know how they avoided each other.