1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Philip Rivers Has Earned Respect, Wants a Ring

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Deb, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Deb

Deb BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +255
    Philip Rivers Has Earned Respect, Wants a Ring

[​IMG]

by Eddie Griffin

Many publications list the San Diego Chargers as the AFC’s second favorite to reach the Super Bowl this season, but all of that optimism assumes that quarterback Philip Rivers is fully recovered from offseason ACL surgery.

Rivers suffered a tear of his right ACL in the Chargers’ AFC divisional upset win at Indianapolis. He then played through that in the close AFC title loss to New England. And while he is reportedly well ahead of schedule, these things generally take almost a full year to fully heal, meaning he could be a bit immobile for much of the season.

The one concern for Chargers fans is that Rivers, despite throwing the exact same number of pass attempts in both his seasons as a starter, had fewer completions, fewer yards, one less touchdown, and six more interceptions in 2007 than he had in 2006.

But he did get better late last season. In the final six games, he had a quarterback rating of over 100 in four of those games. From Week 12 until the AFC Championship Game, Rivers threw for 14 touchdowns and only seven interceptions.

“We were explosive,” coach Norv Turner said. “We were one of the top two or three offenses in the league over that stretch. I expect him to keep building on that.”

Rivers, who is 25-7 in the regular season, took nearly every snap in offseason workouts, so there’s no doubt he will be under center on Week One, although he likely will be handled cautiously through training camp and the exhibition season.

“I’ve certainly come a long way,” Rivers said. “I remember that first week, feeling like ‘This is bad.’ Just the whole thing. The first week or two was really miserable. Just hurting. I can’t sleep. Just getting situated. It hurts to straighten it out. Is it ever going to feel good?"

“It’s amazing now. There are some times when I don’t realize that I ever had anything. Out here, you have a brace and you’re a little bit more conscious of it. But just around the house and stuff, there are times when I can go hours and not even think about.”

Rivers admitted there is a sense of urgency felt around the organization and said there is no reason why the Chargers can’t take the next step forward. He will have receiver Chris Chambers for a full year, a second season under Turner, and, last but not least, still arguably the best back in football in LaDainian Tomlinson (who also is recovering well from injury).

No matter what happens, Rivers is now the unquestioned leader of the team after playing through injury in the AFC title game.
    “That he played at all was amazing,” Chambers says. “He really proved a lot.”

LINK

2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Ya know, Deb, it's awfully nice of you to keep posting these great Chargers' articles when you know that you may well be our final vanquished opponent on our way to the Lombardi this year. :icon_tease:

3. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    The one concern for this Charger fan is that Rivers stays verticle...

4. Deb

Deb BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +255
    Honestly I love playing fantasy football and just a big fan of the game in general. A good team is a good team, and a good player is a good player.
    I would like to say you are wrong...but the cowboys have got a huge monkey on their back as far as the playoffs and coming up big when they need to... and a lot of work to do but we'll see.

5. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I think that it's a very strong possibility that our teams could end up in Tampa. Wade is doing a nice job in Big D & the Giants won't be back like last year. Philly could make a run, but I'm not sure that McNabb is the guy that he once was. Washington? Nope.

The only other team that I see giving you guys much of a challenge in the NFC is Minnesota. Not New Orleans, not Tampa Bay, not Green Bay, not Seattle.

6. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    did they finally cut Spears... :lol:

I'm looking forward to see "my boy" Chris Canty this year - hope he doesn't kill Clary or Goff or...

can't wait for the super bowl preview on the 14th...

7. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,055

I hear the over on Minni wins is 9

I think that might be easy money!!

:yes:

8. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    You guys or the Vikes. Depends on who stays healthy. One of the things noticed by scouts about the Vike's Peterson was that his running style made him subject to a lot more punishment even than usual in the NFL. I'd love to meet Dallas in the Super Bowl.

9. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408

Fixed it for ya. :tup:

10. Chuck F.

Chuck F. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    Off topic......and in no way am I picking any kind of fight or about to make any idiotic smart *** remark.....but is that you in the profile pic playing the guitar?

11. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Yup, that's my fat *** playing a PRS Custom 24. My favorite ax. :tup: