1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Philip Rivers is shocked lockout has lasted this long

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Oct 28, 2009
    Philip Rivers is “shocked” the league, players are this deep into a lockout
    Posted by Mike Florio on June 7, 2011, 10:00 PM EDT

Getty Images

As signs of hope emerge from the ongoing not-so-secret talks between the NFL and the players, some of the players are beginning to get restless.

Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers candidly assessed the situation in an interview with Mike Freeman of CBSSports.com.

“I’m about to reach my limit, I’m going stir crazy,” Rivers told Freeman. “I think it’s just unfortunate we’ve come to this. The game is at an all-time high. I’m not talking about revenue. I’m talking about popularity. We’re essentially putting all of that at risk. I don’t mean just players. I mean owners, everyone. I didn’t think we’d ever be here. I’m still shocked we’re at this point.

“I grew up loving football as a game and I still do. The business side of it never appealed to me but I can’t be a hypocrite. The business side has been beneficial to me but I always hated this part of it. It’s not me. I don’t think it’s a lot of players. Most players just want to get back to football.”

The owners, frankly, have been counting on this sentiment to spread.

“When I see Chargers fans, many of them ask me the same question,” Rivers said. “They say, ‘We’re playing football this year, right?’ I tell them I really don’t know and I’m getting a little worried.

“The bottom line is that I don’t know what’s going to happen. Players don’t know if we’re playing this year. As players we want to know but we don’t. There’s very little of this we can control. So you sit tight, work out and hope for the best. But I think every player in the league feels the way I do. We’re all frustrated.”

Now that the parties are talking, let’s hope that the owners won’t decide to bide their time in the hopes that the players eventually will cave. Instead, it remains critical that the two sides identify a win-win outcome that restores long-term labor peace, and that pushes talk of decertification and antitrust suits and lockouts out of the headlines, for a generation or longer.
  2. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Aug 14, 2006
    It figures now we're a decent team that a lockout would come around to destroy a season.

I'm one of the few on the owners side of the argument, but I'm disgusted at how they're going about trying to get leverage.
  3. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2011
    We went 9-7 and missed the playoffs.....

Now granted, we're wasting Rivers prime. But other factors are involved there besides the lockout...
  4. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Oct 19, 2008
    I'm with the players wanting to take care of the past generations. It would be the right thing to do. It would also be up to the owners to ultimately decide what they would want to do about it. As far as revenues to the players and everything else they are squabbling about, I side with the owners. Let's say I owned a fast food restaurant. I decide to fork up some cash for renovation and have a drive through window put in. The restaurant increases in sales by 20% solidifying my business as a success and enabling job security for a long time to come. Now my employees see that I am driving a brand new Cadillac. The employees get together and decide that they all deserve a new Cadillac or maybe will settle for a new Toyota. They stage a walk out saying that if they don't get at least a Toyota, that they will not come back to work. The next day I replace them all and tell them that if they wanted new cars, they should save their money and buy their own restaurant. Oh, and when they get the restaurant they should buy an American car with the spoils of their success and sacrifice......And that's your little bedtime story for the night NFL players. Your players, not owners. Maybe business school would have been a better choice.