1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Philip Rivers: 'No time to panic' for skidding Chargers

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Nov 6, 2014.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    A scorching 5-1 start has been followed by a three-game losing streak for the San Diego Chargers. It's not the optimal way to reach a bye week, but Philip Rivers believes his team has the experience to deal with this type of adversity.

"We'll find out what we are made of," he said, according to ESPN.com. "We've been in these situations over the last eight years plenty of times and we always fought with the character and toughness and the desire and heart that we thought we had.

"It's no time to panic at all. We're 5-4, and we're right there in the pack of a lot of teams. And although we're not at the top of that pack, I know we're in a big pack. And we've got seven to go, and we'll play them one at a time. It's starts with Oakland, and that's the only one we can control."

The Chargers likely kissed their chances of a division title goodbye with this slump -- such is life playing in the same division as Peyton Manning -- but they remain on the upper end of the spectrum when compared to the five other AFC teams with five wins.

Their immediate post-bye schedule is favorable, as well. The Chargers have home dates against the 0-8 Oakland Raiders and 3-5 St. Louis Rams in the next two weeks. If they take care of business there, they should be in good shape when the schedule tightens up again in the stretch run.

Now, if the Chargers get beat by the Raiders, I fully endorse a wild panic scenario.

2. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +389
    'No time to panic'?
    I know Rivers is a busy dude (he's got this NFL quarterback thing going and in addition has seven kids and is probably working on number eight) but I personally have plenty of time to panic about the Chargers.
    Right now, I'm panicking because I have a growing doubt that Frank Reich and Joe D are on the same page. Are we even running the zone read blocking scheme we did last year? All I see are a bunch of O-Line guys milling around while PR hands off the ball in one of those slow motion delayed draws that's being run out of the spread.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,737
  4. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    This team isn't Super Bowl caliber yet...especially in a stacked AFC. Browns, Dolphins, Bills and Raiders(year away) are all on the upshoot. I think Philip has been here before so I think they can pull out nine wins and finish third in the division with a 8-8/9-7 record. The defensive and offensive lines are a hot mess and this is assuming the solid positions we do have don't turn into a need, which in the NFL can in a snap of a finger.

5. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,159
    You really think the Raiders are a full year away?
    Boy, I just don't see it...they're like, 3 plays away from being 7-2 or even 8-1 right now...

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    Ugh...Their early play against the Broncos and how they played us strong shows they have some talent. It's barren outside of Carr, Mack and Moore. They need a decent RB and good WR to be avg. I don't see how it will happen though as Reggie has been a hit and a miss outside of this years draft.

I look at the next five years in AFC West. Manning has 3 more years with that level of elite talent, he'll be killed out there though with avg talent(at this point in his career). Osweiler doesn't look nothing more than a back up, Chiefs are a Jamal injury away from irrelevance. We probably will have 5 year window(counting this year) to load up a Super Bowl team or we fall down to cellar dwellers with our avg talent around Rivers. Of course 5 years ago we coming off a 13-3 years so it's hardly down to science to predict anything nonetheless a wacky 16 game football season.

7. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,378
    I guess at 0-9 (0-15 in last 15 games), upshoot is the only direction they could head, unless flatlining is a direction ??? [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Maybe they could be demoted to the arena league or the CFL.

9. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,378
    Along with Da Bears after today, I was thinking more along the lines of a Flag Football League.