1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Philip Rivers says it's too early to worry about stadium issue

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    ESPN

Darren Smith of The Mighty 1090 talked with San Diego Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers about his mentorship of draft prospect quarterback Marcus Mariota, the re-signing of left tackle King Dunlap and the team's efforts to get a stadium deal done here in San Diego.

You can listen to the full interview here.

Smith asked Rivers about his thoughts about potentially playing in Los Angeles, with the Chargers proposing to build a stadium in collaboration with the Oakland Raiders in Carson, California.

"I think it's just so far," Rivers said. "And I say this with all respect, because I know there's a lot of people putting in a lot of hard work to try and make it happen, but I think it's just a lot of noise at this point.

"Nothing has been decided. There's no clear-cut anything. So I think to get too caught up into it and too riled up would just not be smart. I am paying attention. You knew it was going to come at some point. It's been talked about for the whole time I've been here. And it looks like it is, whether it comes to the end of this year or not -- and whether we get a solution here in San Diego or we move up the road.

"I think it's closer now than it's ever been, and I know I'm stating what's been said a million times. I'm not so wrapped up into it that I'm worried about it."

Rivers was asked how much of an impact the future location of his team would have on negotiating a contract extension with the Chargers. Rivers heads into the final year of a deal that will pay him $15.75 million in base salary in 2015, counting more than $17 million against the salary cap. Chargers general manager Tom Telesco said earlier this year he wants Rivers to be a Charger for life. The two sides have yet to have discussions about restructuring Rivers' contract.

"Is the location of this team going to be a deciding factor? I can't honestly tell you that it will be," Rivers said. "Is it a factor at all? Sure, but I can't tell you that it's at the top of the list, because it's just really not. That goes without saying I hope we're staying. But should we move, it doesn't move to the top of my list for deterrents for not being a Charger."

Rivers also talked about his work with Mariota, who trained with quarterback guru Kevin O'Connell at Prolific Athletes in nearby Carlsbad, California.

"I can't take credit for anything he's done, or how well he's going to do," Rivers said. "But I did go up there a few days and watch him throw, and watch him do some things. I sat in the meeting room a couple days, and it was fun.

"I enjoy it. With this young wave of quarterbacks and you're kind of one of the older guys, I feel like it's something good for us, to give back a little bit and be around a young guy like that. I was impressed. He's an impressive guy."

O'Connell was recently hired as the new Cleveland Browns quarterbacks coach.

Rivers also commented on the Chargers re-signing Dunlap to a four-year, $28 million deal before the left tackle hit free agency in March.

"I thought that was huge," Rivers said. "For what it's worth, in my mind the first thing that had to be done this offseason was signing King Dunlap. So I was super pumped. It can sound somewhat selfish, but it's also serving our team. Certainly, from my standpoint it's nice to know your left tackle's back, but it obviously helps our team. That was the first thing in my mind was get King back."

2. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    It's good to be the King.

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1