1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Philip Rivers takes a licking, keeps on ticking

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    By Eric D. Williams | ESPN.com

SAN DIEGO -- Observed in the San Diego Chargers' locker room after the team's 13-6 win over the Oakland Raiders:

"
    [​IMG]
    Rivers

Admittedly, Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers did not play his best against the Raiders. Rivers said he missed on some throws that would have kept some drives alive. But he didn't have the greatest protection either, something San Diego's coaching staff has to rectify if the Chargers expect the team's franchise quarterback to make it through the season.

Rivers was sacked twice, and hit four other times. He had his knee rolled up on, and also got the wind knocked out of him on the second sack of the day by rookieKhalil Mack. But Rivers said he made it through the game fine.

"When any player has something, you're always concerned," Chargers head coach Mike McCoy said. "But he was good to go. He's a warrior. He's one of the best in the business. He's one of the toughest in the business, if not the toughest at that position. He's a winner."

" Chargers punter Mike Scifres helped the Chargers control field position, with five of his nine punts landing inside the 20-yard-line. Oakland's average starting drive was the 18-yard line. The nine punts was the second-highest total of his career.

"That was an outstanding job," McCoy said about Scifres. "I wish our offense had taken advantage of the field position a little more."

" Rivers took the blame for a busted play in the second half that resulted in a run by the veteran quarterback for a 1-yard loss.

Rivers said he changed the play to run to the left side for Ryan Mathews, but forgot to relay the audible to the rest of the team, resulting in everyone else running to the right side.

"I went the wrong way," Rivers said. "It was a check with me play. I checked it, and didn't tell them. That usually doesn't work. I was making all the calls to go left, but never actually verbalized that we were going left. So that just adds to the off day. I had a couple mental mistakes out there."

" Center Rich Ohrnberger (ankle) and defensive tackle Ryan Carrethers (elbow) did not finish the game. However, McCoy did not provide an update on either player.

2. House of Hayne

House of Hayne Chargers Smash

Ratings:
    +204
    Ryan carrethers was walking off to the sideline holding his arm but his hand was flopping around, look really bad from my seat
    Looked like a bad break
    Hope I'm wrong

3. Ekdog

Ekdog BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +28
    I suspect Rivers has had some kind of an injury for quite some time now. Something's not right about the way he's playing.

4. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Saw the same thing on TV. His arm below his elbow as just dangling. Looked like a broken bone or a dislocated shoulder or elbow.

5. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Carrethers dislocated his elbow and expects to play ne

6. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
  7. House of Hayne

House of Hayne Chargers Smash

Ratings:
    +204
    Glad it's not that bad
    But man that looked bad

8. Ekdog

Ekdog BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +28
  9. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    Sooooooooooooo Chargers to list an injury after media speculation.

10. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Hardly media "speculation" when Gates went public with the news. Didn't hear much talk prior to that.... but a whole lot after.

I guess McCoy finally figured out that listing the injury was better than trying to pretend it didn't exist. Now, we'll see Rivers' "chest" listed every week, just like Brady's "shoulder" injury.

11. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +942
    Well it was covered by the media as soon as Gates said. So as soon as he started getting questions thrown at him for it is when they decided to throw him on the injury report.

12. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    You feel that perhaps you should have been notified earlier? Why is that?

13. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    I'm not sure what you're saying. It sounded like you were criticizing the media for doing their job. Perhaps I misunderstood you. Are you criticizing the Chargers for "covering up" an injury?

Gates offered the information to the media..... he wasn't badgered into saying anything. The media of course reported it, since they get almost no injury information from McCoy other than the weekly injury list. Obviously, it was going to be news that the franchise QB was dealing with a rib injury. Once the cat was out of the bag, the HC felt compelled to add Rivers to the injury list to avoid further complications..... and questions.

The rules only say you have to list injuries that might prevent a player from actually playing a game. Since the staff didn't view River's "chest" injury as being that severe (despite Gates' use of the word), they didn't feel required to list it.

14. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +942
    No, I understand the media and they're responsibility for reporting things like this.

I'm criticizing the Chargers for continually being negligent to an injured player, misdiagnosing injuries and covering them up. Kris Dielman a few years back, Jahleel Addae and Brandon Flowers this year and now this. As well as Ryan Carrethers, who dislocated his elbow Sunday, but it was said he is expected to play through it and play Sunday vs. the Rams; has now been ruled out.

Chargers medical staff and PR department sucks. New regime, same problems.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Rivers and crew just need to get clicking.