1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Philip Rivers - the "X" Factor...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by SanDiegoRon, Jan 5, 2008.

1. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20080105-9999-lz1s5front.html

Quarterback Philip Rivers has been on at times, off at times this season, which makes him the ...

[​IMG]

Through a season of being questioned and criticized, his stock with Chargers fans selling most days somewhere between Ryan Leaf and Craig Whelihan, Philip Rivers has arrived at his second postseason in two years as a starter.

“Philip has done an awful lot of good things,” head coach Norv Turner said this week. “When people ask me about Philip I kind of look at the won-loss record over the past two years. “He's outstanding. You don't win the number of games he's won. I know we have a good football team, and he gets a lot of help. But there are a lot of people who have played the game who would love to have after two years the record he's had.”

Winning can be misleading in terms of a quarterback's performance. Certainly Rivers is blessed with the immense talent around him. But winning is the ultimate end. Winning is what the Chargers will try to do tomorrow against the Tennessee Titans.

And Rivers wins, including the past six games – in which he has mostly resembled the Pro Bowl quarterback of 2006 – and 25 times in 33 career starts.

Still, even the most ardent Rivers supporter likely would acknowledge he is the wild card in this wild-card game.

It's not so much that he needs to be outstanding tomorrow. He rarely has needed to be that. He just needs not to be bad, to manage, to not make mistakes that plagued a portion of this season.

Rivers won't even argue that too vehemently.

“If I don't turn the ball over, we win most of the time,” Rivers has said numerous times and said as much again this week.

Rivers has been a study in ifs this season.

“Unfortunately you can't do it,” Turner said, “but if you take six or eight plays and drop them out of the season, you'd say, 'Wow! Philip has had an outstanding year.' ”

(there's more)...

So while a Qualcomm Stadium crowd has two things on its mind tomorrow – how to stay dry and warm and whether Rivers will be able to play well enough to get this team to a second playoff game – Rivers is unburdened by such worries.

“I'm playing as good as I've played the last (six) games,” he said. “ . . . I'm a better player (this season vs. last). There's no question in my mind. The numbers might not show it throughout the course of the year, but I'm playing better going in this year than I was going in last year. . . . I feel good about where I am. I feel good about where our offense is, where our team is.”

*** and I feel GREAT about where MY QB's head is.. go kick some *** PR...:icon_toast:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    X as in eXcellent!! :yes:

Again - give him some protection & he'll be just fine. PR didn't lose last year's playoff game for us. :no:

3. skawash

skawash BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16
    Our passing game is the only thing that ever worries me.
    And Rivers seems to be the reason. I'm not saying he sucks
    but he has made some crazy throws this year. Maybe its the
    play calling maybe its not. just don't do it in the playoffs. and maybe
    I won't get my heart ripped out again.

4. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Keep the faith, bro!! :tup:

5. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Philip needs to play at a higher level, just as LT stepped his game up after chatting with Shotty. LT can't do this thing alone and I know he'll try like hell to win it with his legs. Rivers needs to be as good as he can be not only tomorrow but for the rest of his career, let this be the first step towards a Lombardi.

6. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    I have been very critical of PR this season. But, I don't agree that any measurable percentage of Charger Fans have compared him to Ryan or Craig....

Very very difficult to argue with his winning percentage. I think I'm critical because I'm a coach. Granted I coach baseball and particuarly middle infielders but, in certain aspects coaching is coaching. I demand my MI to have perfect footwork, arm motions, and a level head to take control. I see the things he does with his feet and really wonder how he made it as far as he did. There is obviously a good head between his shoulders and he also know he competes like a middle linebacker. PR has learned to adjust his game and find ways to win. This is why he has made it this far! Sometimes, the cookie cutter isn't the only choice. I learning to appreciate his style...

This is very true...He has had some "what the F" plays. I don't think PR will ever be Brady or Manning good. He doesn't have the mechanics or footwork to throw with thier accuarcy and strength. But, I do think he has the ability and mental make up to win a few Super Bowls in his carrer. Winning ugly is still winning.

7. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    I'm wondering if any media person will ever understand football.

Rivers is good when he has time to throw in norvs set up pass plays. When RIvers is rushed he sometimes trys too hard and forces the ball into problems.

The entire playoffs for the chargers will come down to the o-line and their pass blocking.

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    I think he has finally been coming out of the slump. If you remember going into the 2006 playoffs more times then not Rivers was not passing well. I remember Seattle (though he had a pair of TDs he had ONE complete pass in the first half) and Arizona especially. Going back to the Titans fourth quarter he's been infinitely better and has been instrumental in alot of our drives and plays.

9. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Maybe not. But I'd sure like at least Humphries good. He's a tough guy like Stan. :tup:

10. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    You are correct! He will be better!

11. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Homer!!!! :icon_tease:

12. 400HZ

400HZ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15
    You hear a lot about Phillip being the X Factor, but what about Marcus McNeill? In the games that Phillip has been wtf, Marcus has played poorly. The way I see it, that's the matchup tomorrow. McNeill needs to regain his 2006 form. If he does that, Rivers will make good decisions and good throws, and the Titans will get a nice, big Qualcomm ***** slap. If Vandenbosch is teeing off on Rivers every time he drops back, then Rivers and the Chargers will struggle.

13. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    I dont like the weather projections being there is supposed to be 15 mph winds and rain. I dont expect any QB's to play well in that but hopefully he can make a few nice throws and not have the ball slip out of his hand.

2008 is going to be a great year for PR.

14. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    I agree. The way Philip throws the ball, wet conditions worry me more than if he had a classic over the top motion.

The running game and controlling field position will be the key, but Philip will still need to make enough plays downfield.

15. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    Well i didnt mean that. I dont think throwing over the top is going to make any difference. I mean the ball being wet and slipping out of his hand. He has had that happen couple of times.

I just hope for a istake free game from him. I dont expect him to be real accurate with the wind blowing and the rain...but then....neither will Collins or Young. Young hasnt been real accurate in good weather :icon_lol:

16. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    I don't care what you meant. :lol:

17. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    Very good points on Mac. I mentioned yesterday that we really need to spread the field. Their defensive front can make tackles, we just need them to make the tackles from sideline to sideline. VanderB and Haynesworth will tire if we force them to chase our WR's and back by tossing the ball outside, some quick hitting slants, and via screens.

TBF

18. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    We definitely need to start out with a spread offense and no-huddle. Quick hitters, slants and runs to the outside, keep those fat boys of the Titans running and tire their *** out.

If our O-line gives Rivers time he'll do well and so will LT. If our O-line is stinking it up we could be in for a long afternoon.

19. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    And you don't care if your points make any sense. Just because Philip doesn't have a classic throwing motion doesn't mean he's more likely to let the ball slip out of his hands. That's just pure conjecture on your part.

20. timepiece33

timepiece33 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +25
    I just hope we play Malamaleuna more and chip the hell out of Vandenbosch. We can not let that guy go one on one with McNeill.

21. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    My point has been the only thing separating him from Fouts, since neither could run worth a crap, is foot work. Fouts could drop and throw on balance in two seconds. Rivers learns to do this with his feet and the sky is the limit. Teach the bastard to dance. Period. That is all he lacks. He has it from the waste up and the shoulders up.

22. 400HZ

400HZ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15
    [​IMG]

Norv needs to force Rivers into this. It would help him immensely.

23. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    If Norv can get Philip to do that, then I'm sure the Mississippi would start to flow North.

24. timepiece33

timepiece33 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +25
    So who teaches him?

http://abc.go.com/primetime/dancingwiththestars/index?pn=bio#t=pro

The tutu's haven't worked for the Raiders.

25. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    I agree, I was giving an opinion with no facts to back it up.

Sorry, I didn't know that was frowned on around here.

26. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
  27. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
  28. OverVolt

OverVolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18
    With both D's playing as well as they do, this game will rest on both QB's.
    Our chances will rest on Philip being able to play close to error free ball...he doesn't have to be perfect, but he's going to have to play well enough to back the Titans off their run defense, because you know they are going to start with eight in the box...and see if Philip is on his game, or off it.
    I think that's the way this and any other game we play will start...philip is going to have to prove he can make plays...he doesn't have to win the game, just be patient and work the team down the field.

29. RMANCIL

RMANCIL Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223

Exactly right his ability to not turn the ball over will be huge.

30. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    when you PR throws a touchdown, you guys in the endzone gotta throw up an "X" :)