1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Philip Rivers: Why He Will Be The League's 2010 MVP

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, May 3, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Bleacher Report

Philip rivers 2010 MVP.

Voted for MVP of the NFL since he gained the starting role in 2007, he has gained national exposure as one of the leagues elite quarterbacks.

He has won games with the passing game alone. Since Norv Turner has taken over the team, many defenders knew that they had to prepare for a passing attack. They spread their defense and dropped all backs into double coverage.

With the Ryan Matthews acquisition, all that may change.The Chargers will be a much more difficult team for opposing coaches to plan for.

For the last two seasons, the game plan was to take away the pass. However, that was a task few teams could do.

Now, Rivers will face his easiest coverages yet. If Matthews could even come close to his College game, he will keep defenses honest. Knowing, and accepting his role as "supporting cast" and not leading star will give this team the balance it needs.

Throw into the mix, that The defense is young, strong and experienced, we may be as well rounded as any Charger fans have seen.

A lot of quarterbacks get a ton of help because of their defense. Do you think Ben Roethlisberger or Eli Manning would have Superbowl rings without Strong defenses?

I don't.

Now, it looks as if Rivers supporting cast will not be just a running game, but a strong defense as well.

Jumping from 25th to eighth overall in one season is a feat Ron Rivera has received little attention for, and my prediction is that the defense will be stronger this year.

Riveras rotation of players is designed to keep players fresh. You wont see an exhausted defensive lineman on his team, not even in the fourth quarter.

This strategy has more effects than keeping guys fresh. It also gets the rookies and second year guys more experience than they would see elsewhere. So when a starter goes down to injury. Filling the void isn't too tough a task.

So, his only recipe was shaking the old, or troubled apples off the tree, and replace them with younger fresher apples who want to be there. Mission accomplished!

The transformation will metamorphasize the often complacent laxed defense into a hungry and more aggressive defense, that will probably rise in overall performance again this year.

This means many things to Rivers, More playing time, more chance to put points on the board and stats on the book. Also less points to defeat an opponent.

Also with a rookie back the caliber of Matthews, he will have a ton more second and third looks, than third and 10's he has been used to. Anyone who has ever played knows that with that, his playbook will have way more options.

For anybody who claims the stretch to get Matthews ( jumping up 16 spots in the first round) was too much, by November, I'm sure your tune will change.

I for one, was ecstatic with the aggressive move, and knew immediately the dividends would pay off.

Lastly, Norv Turner has received a contract extension. Many fans were upset and confused by the decision. It came just after the divisional playoff loss to the Meadowlands rugby team. But, believe me this is another questionable decision that will pay huge dividends.

With a new coach, comes a new system. New running schemes, and passing schemes. The Chargers passing game is about as fine tuned as it can be. Disrupting that right now would be foolish. Even if we could bring Vince Lombardi back to life and coach the Chargers, it would take him years to install his system, and be successful.

So, with this supporting cast put into place around Rivers, and all of his offensive line and receivers returning, an MVP season has been Taylor Made for him.

This entire off-season, Philip Rivers truck has a sticker that says 17-14 on it. He keeps it there to remind him of the Chargers playoff loss. He has let this hollow feeling haunt him, and motivate him, and there is no doubt in my mind he's coming back with a vengeance, and he's got the reigns to a whole team that feels the same way.

Remember, before the playoff loss, The Chargers were the NFL's scariest team.

They currently hold the longest active winning streak in the regular season at 11. They are back more balanced, stronger, younger and hungrier than ever. Their strength of schedule is among the easiest in the League.

I think and hope all the pieces of the puzzle are in place for not only Rivers to become the MVP, but also for The Chargers to bring home the Lombardi.

Its Our Turn!!!

2. vmax

vmax BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    Well, since Peyton single handedly lost the super bowl for his team, maybe this year it isn't his in week one.

3. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    The MVP is always Peyton's to lose. It is his as of right now, and until he loses it, or someone goes crazy, it will be his.

4. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Both Manning and Brady are beginning to show some wear and tear on their arms. They are completing the deep ball near as well as they used to. Rivers could be poised to make the run.

5. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    finally

6. SDDon

SDDon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    Nice article thanks for posting it.

I think that our easy schedule won't really push Rivers and our offense to great stats this year. I can see many games where we will slow it down in the 2nd halves of games and take the air out of the ball. That will keep his TD and yards passing totals down and we already have seen they don't base the award on QB rating.

An MVP award would be nice but a SB Title would be better.

7. coachmarkos

coachmarkos BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +47
    We could go 16-0 beat both the Pats and the Colts on our way to that, and Rivers couldn't beat Brady and Manning for that award.

I'm still somewhat numb that LT actually won the award, and that was four years ago.

For Rivers to win over either of those other two qb's, he'd have to break the TD's in a year record, on top of all that other crap. And even then, it'd be close because "Rivers has more help" would be the cry.

8. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I'd prefer that he be the SB MVP if I have to make a choice. :tup:

9. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    I hear where you are coming from, but ECry Manning has shown us you don't really need to do much to be handed that award.

10. Centella Cajon

Centella Cajon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +8
    That would be very nice if it came from a site with a good reputation, instead of a sorry piece of **** like the bleacher report.

11. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I want him to be the MVP alright.....

THE MVP OF THE SUPER BOWL WINNING SAN DIEGO CHARGERS!!!

:abq2::abq2:

12. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    Rivers will set the QB rating in a year record with 158.3!!!:icon_shrug:

13. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280

14. Burley

Burley BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    I'm pretty sure The Chargers didn't jump from 25th to 8th overall in defense. I'm not sure where you get your stats but NFL.com has us 18th overall in defense. All you said about Rivers is pretty accurate, but your optimism about the defense seems as if your looking with rose colored glasses. There are a lot of holes on defense. Hopefully with Merriman in a "contract year" and a year further away from surgery, he'll be Lights Out again. Also with the new corners we signed via free agency our backfield should be a lot more consistent. As for the D-line, hopefully we can stay healthy, but I don't see anyone scared at all. The defense needs to step up, or I fear it's gonna be the same old song and dance.

15. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555

Its scoring defense that means something. We were 11th in pts allowed last year, which isn't bad at all if you consider our atrocious start and the revolving door at D-line due to injuries.

I think we're 1 playmaker away from being a legitimate top 10 defense, and that player could be Merriman if he's ready to step up again.

16. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I think you can count on that. I'm still pissed he delayed the surgery. He would have been there last year. Cameron will make a difference, even if he is just part of the rotation. I expect Vaughn to emerge as a legit DE as the season progresses. With the matador gone from the secondary, we'll be better. We've drafted a big hitter. Ellison will have learned something about anticipation. We have the makings of the Blue Meanies, me thinks.

17. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    cuz he's PHILIP FCUKING RIVERS that's why he'll be the mvp!

18. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I love the idea of Rivers winning the MVP, but why do people actually read or use bleacher report like it is a legit media source? Does everyone realize that anyone can write an article and get it posted there?