1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

philip!!!!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by 18gramblingcharlie, Sep 25, 2011.

1. 18gramblingcharlie

18gramblingcharlie Bitter San Diego sports fan

Ratings:
    +3
    What's up with Rivers? He hasnt looked comfortable all year. Is it a lack of confidence in the play calling? Is the o line playing below its capabilities? Is he not healthy? Seems we are running the ball better than recent years which should open up the passing game more. Or maybe Gates is just that important in the passing game. I love Philip, he's a gamer and wish others on the roster would play with his passion. But he seems to be regressing. I see quarterbacks around the league extending the play with mobility which i cant expect from Rivers. Frustrating watching pass rushers just collapse the pocket time and again. I dont recall him standing in the pocket, surveying the field like TB. Comments??

2. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    At this point it's a mystery. I don't get it. It's almost as if something is really wrong with him in his personal life. Hopefully not. Maybe he's human. Maybe he has just had a couple bad games.

3. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    PR, just like the rest of this squad, usually gets better as the season progresses. I believe that this has been magnified by the strike-shortened training camp.

Do I like it? Of course not. No fan LIKES to see their team struggle, look confused, lose,commit turnovers,etc.

BUT .... with all of our current issues, we're still 2-1 with our only loss to a very worthy opponent.

I'll save the wrist-slitting that some here (not this thread in particular,this just seemed a good place to post these feelings) are all-too-ready to indulge in for later, if at all.

BTW - someone remind me who hires this coaching staff that many want tarred-and-feathered? Or spent 1st round/bundled draft picks to move up for suspect players like Hester, English, & some gone on to not perform for other clubs?

• Like Like x 1
  4. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I have never seen Philip play this poorly and it's hard to watch. I don't know if he's dinged up, doesn't have his mind in the game or is trying to hard to overcome slow starts but it needs to change. The Bolt's don't seem relaxed or confident out on the field the offense looks confused and making mistakes in the passing game. The running game seems to be doing well and getting better each week and may end up being the saving grace until the passing game opens up.

The defense is mediocre at best and not the least bit aggressive and attacking from what I have seen. I'm hoping it due to the long layoff the players had with no formal off-season training programs but it sure didn't seem to slow Brady and his offense down.

5. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +275
    It seems that the pace of the game is all wrong. We get out there and hurry up. Let's fac it Norv is pretty damn predictable:

1st down: Run up the middle
    2nd down: short pass
    3rd down: shot gun longer pass to try and get the first down... sometimes resulting in an incomplete pass or sack.
    4th down: punt

I mean the guy needs to mix it up a little out there. Sure Rivers will look bad when everyone in the stadium knows Norv's scripted play calls.

• Like Like x 1
  6. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +275
    I saw a guy at Costco on Friday wearing a #52 English jersey... I am betting he regrets that purchase! BTW Did English see the active roster on Sunday? Never heard his name called... just asking?

7. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +410
    You represent the tiny voice of reason in the current mood of this board. It seems those who biatch love to read others that biatch too.

However you can of course cherry pick when making an argument like a few others. Sure there have been some hit and miss picks. Who hasn't had a few of these over the years? It is the nature of the draft. What is more important is the general stability of the franchise since A.J. took over from Butler. We are firmly established as one of the top teams... and signs are that we will be able to remain there. The Chargers have been able to hang on to their core players and have maintained their cap space to the point where they can be a bit speculative at the draft table without completely screwing the pooch.

As always there is two sides to the story.

8. ViennaLager

ViennaLager FC Eintracht Bamberg Smokey Beers

Ratings:
    +61
    Actually I just wanted to comment on your avatar. Pliny the Elder is a damn fine IPA.

9. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +268
    I am not sure whats up with Rivers but if you gave me a million dollars, I would of never guessed he would of throw 6 picks in the 3 games. I am A LOT less confident about the season right now. :(

10. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Yeah, but look at it this way... And I think it was Sandolf who actually put electrons to screen on this thought...

In past years, during the slow starts we lost games... We are still having a slow start but winning more than losing... So the glass might be half full... Instead of half empty.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +410
    Plus there is the fact that Philip is super competitive. It is simply not in this man's nature to get down in the dumps. He knows why he threw those balls where he did better than any of us... and he will rise to the challenge as the challenge rises to him. Rivers is not going to mope about like Eli, Cutler or Brees... or bitach about his protection like Vick. When it comes to mental toughness, our guy is as good as there is.

As for robdog... he always has his Packer site if all else fails. :D

12. robdog

Ratings:
    +268
    Definitely a good point that the slow starts killed us in the past and you just have to take what you can get.

A 2 and 1 start is better than 1 and 2 or 0 and 3.

13. robdog

Ratings:
    +268
    True! Don't forget the Seahawks site for next year when they draft Andrew Luck. Maybe the Cowboys too if that community owner would sell me his site!

14. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I think that the description of the Chargers as one of the most talented rosters in the league is overplayed. I don't have time right now, but soon I'll post a thread to outline this stance.

Of course the draft is hit and miss. Anyone who thinks otherwise is either uninformed, arrogant, or simply pays no attention. BUT .... I do believe that AJ has taken a stance that he can regularly find diamonds in the rough. He's had some success, no doubt, but to consistently look to the last rounds of the draft for OL talent? If I were PR, I'd be in AJ's ear in a big way. He's largely neglected big holes in the defense until this year. And Norv sure as hell didn't call his own number when a HC was needed. I have no idea of Norv's input with regard to Manusky's hire as DC, but I feel pretty damn confident that Norv didn't get the last word.

I'm not saying that there are no issues with the coaching staff, but I really doubt that there is a "magic bullet" coach out there for this team. How many years did it take Cowher to get a ring? Dungy did most of the work on the Buc's roster, yet many here clamor for Gruden.

Cry me a friggin' river, folks. One team wins it all every year & it takes a concerted effort by all facets of the organization AND some luck. When is the last time the Browns won a ring? Tennessee? Atlanta?

Maybe when the fans grow a pair the team will as well.

• Like Like x 3
  15. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +196
    I think Rivers is trying to do too much. He is forcing the ball more trying to make a play. He has done this in the past, and gotton away with it a lot. Right now he is a bit off and not as accurate as he usually is. I also think he may be feeling a bit more pressure, due to the fact the offensive line is not protecting him very well up to this point. He is trying to get rid of the ball faster because of the defensive rush. The team is trying to establish the run so the defenses can't just concentrate on Rivers and the passing game. But despite the turnovers, the team is 2-1. That hasn't been the case for us in the beginning in seasons past. So we are winning, just not in a pretty way. And winning is all that matters. Not many teams can win with the amount of turnovers we have had. Luck seems to be with us in that regard.

16. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    And then, there are those who like to biatch about others who biatch...... #imjustsaying ;)

17. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Blow me. :roflmao: