1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Phillip Rivers arm strength

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ssnake86, Aug 5, 2013.

1. ssnake86

ssnake86 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +50
    38sec mark. I had to do a double take and make sure it was Rivers throwing this ball and not the new 4th string QB we signed from the Bears.

http://www.chargers.com/media-vault...Snapshot/ce929108-2be8-4553-98f6-93d80294a179

Maybe its just the angle, but that ball comes out of his arm like a cannon! Beautiful release as well.

Ive gone to a couple practices this off season so far , and the only time I've seen PR passes floating or lacking zip, has been when hes trying to move up into a crumbling pocket or he's feeling the "phantom rushers." His release and footwork go to **** and it causes him to loose zip on the ball. This was obvious problem last year. What is also obvious to me now is PR's arm strength is not lacking.

What concerns me is I haven't seen the new coaching staff putting PR in any sort of pressure intensive drills on purpose to work this out. I would think the coaching staff would be able to see how PR's technique, mainly footwork, goes to **** in the wake of pressure. This never used to be the case for him, I remember him staring pressure in the face and delivering beautiful deep balls. If this is not corrected I don't see PR returning to form, no matter how much the offensive line is improved. Is PR now a mental headcase?

2. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,499
    Overreact much? Lets wait until we see Rivers in some actual game action, before we declare him a "mental headcase"..... OK?

3. ssnake86

ssnake86 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +50
    Oh I know, I'm just trying to point out that he still has a really strong arm, in fact I think its just as strong as it was 4 years ago, but pressure(whether its actually there or not) seems to dramatically reduce the effectiveness of his passes. I just find it concerning the new coaching staff doesn't seem to be addressing this issue.

4. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,703

PR had good reason to hear footsteps in the last couple years, especially last season. I don't think he's permanently jacked in the head (see David Carr for a perfect example of truly damaged QB - sad stuff). PR needs to trust his blocking and not try to win all on his own. With more quick short-yardage passing options, an even slightly improved Oline and more reliable receivers, I think he will bounce back just fine.

PR has never been known for having astounding arm strength, he's got solid arm strength but it's his accuracy that's always been his best quality. Footwork and being able to keep his cool under pressure is key, when you get frantic you can't see the big picture anymore and you make rash decisions (a la Tampa Bay game last year, ugh that was the worst). I'm excited to see what McCoy and Co. do with the talent we have, our OL is still up for debate but our WR corps should be much improved. Adding Woodhead to the mix should be a big plus too, I love that kid and he's as close to filling the shoes of Darren Sproles as we're gonna get without a miracle sending the man back our way.

5. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,721

Yeah when people were asking if he'd lost some zip last year all I could do was roll my eyes.

He didn't lose anything, thats just what a QB looks like throwing the ball from the horizontal position.

6. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,499
    Rivers obviously has to overcome the loss of confidence in his protection, but first he has to see that it had actually improved. We haven't even settled on a starting 5 yet, so it's a little early in the process. Trust has to be earned.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,770
    Philip has been a different player the last two years without question. Most of the problems of the past appear to be more of a collective team effort or lack thereof. It all starts up front and many folks on this and many other places have dropped the blame on Norv for not changing up his scheme. No blocking, no run game and no passing game, something has to give , that something must have been Rivers.

8. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,374
    You could say this about every QB that has ever put on a helmet.

9. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,374
    I couldn't read past this statement. Carr was never close to Rivers as a QB. Rivers has gone from playing like a HOF QB to playing like an above average QB the last 2 years, and people act like he has completely fallen apart. I look forward to Rivers making them eat their words.

10. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,703

I wasn't comparing the two I don't know how you got that from what I wrote. I was using Carr as an example of a QB who was actually suffering from what some people seem to think PR is (which, PR is not). I thinkit's sad what happened to Carr, that guy is probably still hearing footsteps to this day.

• Like Like x 1
  11. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,770
    Come tomorrow night we'll all see if anything has changed for Rivers. If the line is half way decent things should go a lot better, at least I hope they do.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,374
    I hope you aren't planning on seeing too much tomorrow night. Rivers will likely play one or two series.

13. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,075
    Or, you know... QB's can throw the ball a heck of a lot harder and further when they can actually step into throws and put their whole body behind it - that's what we like to call simple physics. (I'm piggybacking off you here, Matty, not disagreeing)

Was there a mental component last year to Rivers that needs to be corrected? Sure. He even started to look, towards the end of the season, like it was starting to sink in. He stopped forcing the ball, throwing in situations where in order to do so he had no choice but to throw with horrible technique (off his back foot, not stepping into his throws, basically all-arm, no body). And contrary to the belief of the OP, Rivers doesn't have a phenomenal arm the likes of say Favre, Rodgers, or McNair. But, in spite of his odd throwing motion in terms of his arm and shoulder, he always had sparkling clean footwork and throwing mechanics from the chest down, which was why he was able to place such a beautifully accurate deep-ball (which is far more about touch and arc than pure arm strength).

14. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,499
    All the receivers comment on how Rivers throws the most catchable ball....... I don't think that's something that should be discounted. Despite all his problems last year, his completion percentage was still higher than several of the highly regarded QBs....... Brady and Rodgers, to name two. Delivering a ball that's not only on target, but easily catchable is a rare gift with QBs.

15. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,075
    I think it's also a case that Rivers, when he's afforded suitable time to be mostly mechanically-sound, is renown for that thing that color commentators are always singing the praises of quarterbacks: "Putting the ball where only his receiver can get it." We've heard it time and time again and even some of us have referenced it - Rivers "throws his receivers open."

Now, I'm not saying he didn't have his share of bonehead INT's last season and shouldn't bare some of the blame for those (even if a receiver ran the wrong route, Philip still threw the ball on trust or a mis-read... he is human and not a robot.). I am saying that I need more than one hand to count the interceptions last season where Rivers put the ball right on target and the receiver flubbed the ball or didn't use his body to shield off the defender... or where, and let's face it this does happen in football, the defender just made a damn good play on the ball.

16. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,499
    I wasn't making excuses for his INTs, just pointing out that when he's right, he's still a top QB. There's no question that he was forcing things too much last year. The lack of protection made him speed up his decision making, and that led to some boneheaded throws. We all know he's more dependent on good protection than many QBs..... he can't scramble for time, so he needs a solid pocket to operate in.

• Agree Agree x 1