1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Phillip Rivers' Boneheaded Comments Over the Weekend

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Your gonna love this... :lol:

Bleacher Report
    By Justin Javan
    7-27-2010

Did everyone hear Rivers' comments over the weekend?

Here is the quote:

"Those are two key guys on our offense," said Rivers of Jackson and McNeil.

“I don’t think there’s any way you can say we’re not better with them...But at the same time, can you still get it done without them? The answer is 'Yes'."

Before I weigh in on Rivers' statement, I feel compelled to comment on two things: I believe Phillip Rivers to be a top six quarterback, with an indefatigable spirit and self-confidence, which is contagious not only in the huddle, but in the locker room as well.

The other is that the Vincent Jackson storyline has overshadowed the Marcus McNeill’s holdout; the impact of the possible loss of a two time pro-bowl LT like McNeill could be devastating.

On to the question of whether Rivers was correct in what he said, and should he have said it publicly?

The answer is no and no.

Here’s why what Rivers said was ill-advised.

For those of you who haven't been to a Chargers game, and seen Vincent Jackson, Antonio Gates, and Malcolm Floyd on the field at the same time, they are quite the formidable threesome.

While Floyd is the least talented of the three, his numbers were still respectable last year.

However, Jackson has become the real difference maker of that formidable troika; the kind of receiver who keeps opposing defensive coordinators up at night.

Not only does he create mis-matches all over the field, but he also creates a conundrum for opposing defenses.

If you roll the coverage to him, it put Gates, and to a lesser extent Floyd, in favorable matchup.

If you decide to play man coverage against him, he will out jump the defender for the ball.

If you play zone coverage, then you had better hope the pass rush gets to Rivers before Jackson finds a hole in the zone.
    In a word, he is invaluable to the team.

In some ways, Marcus McNeill might be even more valuable than Jackson.

As I alluded to earlier, you can’t underestimate the importance of a pro-bowl left tackle.

Without a doubt, they play the most important role on the offensive line because they protect the quarterback’s blind side. If you don’t have a good one, then no matter how good the quarterback or the receivers, it’s hard to complete a pass when you’re lying face first in the grass because the left tackle couldn’t pick up his guy.

When you take into account the players lost in the offseason, and then add in the possible loss of two of the most integral parts of the offense, I find it very difficult to believe that the Chargers can “get it done” without them.

The other disturbing part of Phillip’s comments is he shouldn’t butt his nose into another player’s contractual negotiations (no player should).
    First, it’s none of his business.

Second, if that player returns from a holdout, how do you think he is going to feel about the guy who “didn’t get his back” (especially in the press)?

It’s bone-headed statements like Rivers, which affect that little thing we refer to as team chemistry, and more often than not, “chemistry” can be the difference between “getting it done” and being one-and-done.

Rivers is a tremendous quarterback, but unfortunately, he needs to be more judicious about what comes out of his mouth.

He would be well served to observe how the greats like Tom Brady or Peyton Manning comport themselves off the field.

Even better, whatever A.J. Smith does, just do the opposite.

:popcorn:

2. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    What's he suppose to say

"we're screwed without them"

:icon_huh:

3. Centella Cajon

Centella Cajon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +8
    What do you expect from a lame assed site like Bleacher Report?

4. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    Quaksaw made a big deal about it too, both stupid asses if you aske me.

Here's what Philip should have said (where's the sarcasm smiley?)

"there's no way we can win without them, I don't trust the players that most likely will start for most of the season"

:tdown:

5. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    Javan don't play football for the Chargers, and he can suck out of my ***.

Pointy :icon_twisted:

6. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    :icon_shrug: What did he say wrong?:icon_shrug:

7. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    "We might as well not even suit up." :icon_rofl:

8. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    I don't agree.

In a way he has complimented the 2 guys who are holding out and their potential replacements.

Yes he said the team is better with the players holding out. Right now that is the truth. Dombrowski and Floyd would both agree with that statement (if they are to be the replacements).

But he also said without them we can get the job done thus boosting the confidence of the aforementioned. (not that he truly believes this though I'm sure)

All in all fair comment I say.

9. coachmarkos

coachmarkos BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +47
    and yet another reason not to read anything on Bleacher Report.

• Like Like x 1
  10. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Exactly my thought. That site is a complete joke

11. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    That isn't what he said.

He said "I don’t think there’s any way you can say we’re not better with them" which mean they are better with the guys, but can still get it done without them. He never once said they are better without them, he said You cannot say they are better without them

12. Nomadic Bolt Fan

Nomadic Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    No sh!t. Stupid report. Rivers said the right thing. :abq1:

13. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Six? :icon_huh:

14. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +636
    There's no way you can't say that those two quotes don't mean the same thing :icon_huh:

15. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Really?

The dude basically said that no one can say they are better without the players. That is the complete opposite of what was stated here. Some reading comprehension classes are needed by some people here

16. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,419
    I got the feeling MOP was sarcastically commenting on the double negatives being used, but I could be wrong.

17. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +636
    Yeah, including you

There's no way you can say... is different than There's no way you can't say...

read it again, I'll give you a minute :icon_tease:

BTW, I'm with Dublin Bolt, both quotes do mean basically the same thing

18. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I hope so because that really had me wondering how can someone not understand what was said

19. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Dublin said "he said the team is better with the players holding out", that is NOT what Rivers said

20. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +636
    yeah :yes:, although what I wrote (using 3 negatives) kinda says that what Dublin Bolt and Philip said where the same thing

Philip said "I don’t think there’s any way you can say we’re not better with them..." meaning no one can say they're better without them (not better with them=better without them, or at least the same with or without)

So Philip basically said that no one would say that the team is better without those two, which means he thinks the team would be better with those two

Once again read again

EDIT: I just reread what Dublin wrote, I take it to mean that the team would be better having the players that are now holding out, not having the players continue holding out

21. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    Love how they left out the part where he said "You know me, I'm the ultimate optimist..." kinda changes the tone when you slap that on the front of the first quote.

22. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    If you are going to reverse one negative, you have to reverse the other as well.

Translation, "I think everyone can say we are better with them"

"I don’t(Negative number one) think there’s any way you can say we’re not (Negative number 2) better with them..."

23. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +636
    I think we understood the same idea from Philip, we understood differently what Dublin wrote

(read EDIT in previous post)

24. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Maybe. but Dublin removed all the negatives and still had it twisted.

He wrote "he said the team is better with the players holding out". Nothing about Rivers quote can be construed to say that Rivers thinks we are better with these guys holding out.

25. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    I like how they say he needs to be classier like Tom Brady. The same Tom Brady that never shakes hands or said "now cmon we're only going to score 17 points *laughs*"

26. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +636
    Again, I take Dublin's quote to mean "the team is better having the services of the players that are currently holding out" not "the team is better with the players that are holding out, continue to hold out"

now, let's talk football not semantics :tup:

27. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,419
    This conversation is a highlight of why you should avoid using double negatives.

They change the meaning of the sentence and confuse the hell out of people.

28. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I guess I just took it as it was written. No big deal

29. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    No joke

30. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +636
    so you're saying that there's no reason why people shouldn't avoid using double negatives? :icon_tease: