1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Phillips emerges from role of ‘other guy’

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Dec 5, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703

[​IMG]

Play may be same, but attention grows

By Kevin Acee, UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
    Saturday, December 5, 2009

For those who think Shaun Phillips is playing at such a high level the past month or so, Phillips would ask you where you’ve been.
    He also has another question:
    “What am I, chopped liver?”
    Phillips, in his sixth NFL season, might be performing as well as he ever has, especially over the course of the Chargers’ six-game winning streak.
    But that’s a notion he denies.
    “I don’t think so,” Phillips said. “People are saying my name more, so people are noticing Shaun Phillips — ‘Oh, this guy can play football.’ They didn’t know my name before. You look back, my numbers are pretty much the same as they’ve been.”
    Phillips leads the Chargers with six sacks, all of them in the past half-dozen games. He is also tops with five additional tackles for loss (all in the past four games) and 11 quarterback knockdowns. And his five forced fumbles are tied for the most in team history for one season.
    So pardon him if he’s over being the Other Guy, the nickname he embraced when fellow outside linebacker Shawne Merriman was a rookie. They were both piling up sacks, but Merriman was the first-round pick, the flashy one, the lightning rod.
    “Now we should be clear of that,” Phillips said this week. “I think I’ve earned my own name by now. I haven’t done a lot of great things in this league, but I’ve done enough. There are two Shauns on this team.”
    (Really, there is a Shaun and a Shawne, but Phillips’ point is valid.)
    In fact, only Shaun has played in 56 games, missing just three starts, since 2006. And Shaun and Shawne are tied with a team-high 33½ sacks since then.
    It’s nothing personal.
    “ ‘Lights’ is a baller,” Phillips said of Merriman. “He’s a guy I look up to for his work ethic. When he’s on the field, he goes 100 mph on every play. He works his (rear end) off.”
    It’s just that this is a perfect time for Phillips to be peaking and for it to be brought up to him that he is playing so well.
    The Chargers are celebrating their 50th season and as part of that celebration just honored the franchise’s 50 greatest players. Phillips was not even considered worthy of being put to a vote.
    “Yeah, I know,” he said, quickly. “ … But Marcus McNeill wasn’t (voted on the team) either, so I don’t feel as bad. What bothered me the most was not that I wasn’t top 50 (but that) I wasn’t on the ballot. How did Donnie Edwards get on the ballot and I don’t get on the ballot?”
    To qualify for the ballot, which 105 did, a player had to be a Charger for at least four years and have been named to an all-star team or won a team award.
    Phillips did not meet either of those criteria.
    All he’s done is have 44.5 sacks over his five-plus seasons, fifth-most in team history.
    “I’ve been constantly producing,” Phillips said.
    Coming off two seasons in which his sack numbers were down, Phillips has emerged better for what he was asked to do — be a more well-rounded player.
    “It allowed me to do more,” Phillips said. “It allowed me to understand how coverages work. Whether it was run fit or a certain pass drop, now I understand the defense as a whole. I can’t be dominant at every (linebacker) position, but I can play pretty much every position. I’m going to be in my spot and know what’s going on and do my job at that position.
    “Getting after the passer is definitely my thing. I always want to do that, but I just think it’s important to be a complete linebacker. I like to think I’m a football player.”
    Phillips was unhappy at times under former defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell, who had Phillips dropping into coverage more than anyone would have liked. And with Merriman out last season, Phillips was asked to fill different roles.
    Defensive coordinator Ron Rivera called 2008 “very stressful” for Phillips. Phillips called it “my best year.”
    Said Rivera: “It‘s helped him and made him a much more well-rounded linebacker for us. And in situations we’ve been able to rely on him. Sure, that takes away from another part of his game, but he understands it and has been a great team player.”
    Even now, with Merriman nursing foot tendinitis and limited in each of the past three games and with Rivera constantly mixing and matching his defensive looks, Phillips lines up on both sides and even in the middle.
    “He gives us versatility,” Rivera said. “ … He understands the concepts of what we’re doing … It shows right now with bringing Larry (English) in and Shawne Merriman (missing time) with the foot. We have to pop (Phillips) over and say, ‘You’ve got to play the Sam (strong side linebacker) for us.’ Shaun Phillips has no problem with that.”
    And, ultimately, Phillips has no problem with those who think he’s at the top of his game.
    It’s been a process, he acknowledges.
    “Maybe I’m starting to develop into the player where I’m getting my own identity,” he said. “My thing is I should already have got my own identity. I’ve been doing this a while.”

2. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    Phillips is showing me that he is not a product of Merriman's aggression and/or a beefy front 3, as they are now non-existent in the Chargers defense. The guy has an insanely-good first step and is a solid tackler, and I have been really noticing his value not only against the pass, but also the screen and the run, over the past few weeks.

3. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Meh. I'm sick of him.

Where was this #95 last year? Oh that's right, when Shawne was out and not taking up double teams n **** he completely disappeared.

Sorry SP, you're nothing but a sidekick with a big mouth.

4. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,413
    Where has he been this year?

Tearing up **** while Merriman has been quiet and playing with various nagging injuries.

5. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    Every hero needs a sidekick...

6. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    :yawn:

Without Merriman in there (even gimpy Merriman) commanding the offense's attention, SP is booty.

Plus he talks way too much crap. He is bad karma in the flesh.

7. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Hell no. All the best super heroes work alone.

8. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,413
    That doesn't make any sense.

A gimpy Merriman doesn't command much more attention than I would lining up on the other side of Shaun Phillips.

9. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Coaches and analysts have consistently talked about how well SP has played over the past few years. Sometimes, the flashy play isn't the most important.

He can talk all he wants imo - after hearing him mic'd up vs Peyton in last year's playoffs I'd PAY him to chit chat on the field. Just like I love when PR does it.

"play to the whistle!"
    "you're not gonna make it!"
    "game over"

:wub:

10. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Youre pretty clueless if you actually believe that

11. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +501
    I do think he is a good player but I'm not sure he is as good as he thinks he is. He could do with a bit of Larry English's humility.

Having said that sometimes it is good to see him nagging the oppositions QB esp Peyton and Cuddler. And he does seem to be having a better year this over last contrary to what he might think himself, heck even Rivera said it.

12. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,413
    Forced fumble/sack :abq2:

13. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Phillips emerges as the 'other guy' ... in the police report.

14. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    The guy can't even get on AJ's bad side without riding someone else's coattails :(.

15. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    :icon_eek: :lol:

16. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    *Looks at your avatar, lols*