1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Phillips interviews, now waits on Dallas

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Jan 27, 2007.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    By Kevin Acee
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
    January 27, 2007
    Wade Phillips spent the day in Dallas yesterday, interviewing for the chance to be the next head coach of that celebrated franchise. “We had a very encompassing talk,” Phillips said of his seven hours with Cowboys owner Jerry Jones. “I think he knows what I'm about as far as trying to get ahold of the things I thought I could do.”

Phillips, the Chargers' defensive coordinator the past five seasons, also met with Cowboys Vice President Stephen Jones, former Dallas head coach Bill Parcells and recently hired offensive coordinator Jason Garrett. Garrett still might be the Cowboys' head coach if Phillips or one of the remaining candidates is not hired.

The Cowboys are still to interview San Francisco 49ers offensive coordinator Norv Turner and New Orleans Saints defensive coordinator Gary Gibbs. “I don't think it will take a long time,” Phillips said. “ . . . That's what I've been told.”

Chargers head coach Marty Schottenheimer said he has some contingency plans in case Phillips is hired away. He said he would “seriously consider” choosing from inside his staff, as he recently did with the offensive coordinator's position.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20070127-9999-1s27chnotes.html

2. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    I think he's gone. Bring back Arnies Army!!!

3. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Oh yeah .. the bend but don't break was great..

4. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    Internal Possibilities:

Greg Manusky
    Linebackers
    18(12 as Player)th NFL Season, 5th with Chargers

OR

Wayne Nunnely
    Defensive Line
    12th NFL Season, 10th with Chargers

5. reddenedbeard

Ratings:
    +112
    Can someone please tell me why everyone loves this guy? He has 6 years coaching experience .. that's it. I think we promote him, we are taking a huge risk with maybe the exception of continuity.

6. reddenedbeard

Ratings:
    +112
    Unfortunately I do remember Lindsey .. I just think that his lack of coaching experience is seriously going to limit his options. And, personally I hope he isn't on the short list of candidates.

7. Kinghooker

Kinghooker BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9

Because he's a firery "Let's kick their ***" type of coach.:helm3:

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Lindsay was actually fired from his job as Redskins LB coach; said his systems were far too complicated

9. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    yeah bring back arny, and get coryell as a consultant or some ****.

10. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I would like to see Manushy get a shot.:tup:

11. mapcap55

mapcap55 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +66
    Arnsparger was like 90something when he coached in 95...

12. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Have any of you ever seen Manusky on the sidelines going irate telling the players to skullfuk the other team? OMG, I saw one on NFLN (NFL replay or something) and he was yelling and spitting and screamin and I was ready to jump off my couch and forearm shiver my neighbors.

That's the kind of coach this defense is longing for. I don't wanna hear about experience, I think that our LB's are probably the best coached group on the team next to the OLine. Besides, what's the worst that can happen? Marty is gone in a year anyways.

We have agressive players on our D, who better to coach them but a fiery coach? Give the dude a shot.

13. reddenedbeard

Ratings:
    +112
    Oh please .. Mauk was also supposed to be that irate & firery guy on the offense line and look how well that turned out .. It is one thing having those characteristics, but another having the experience to doing the job. I'm not saying he wouldn't be a good coach but I question if it is worth the risk to bring someone who is relatively new to coaching. I think he would benefit more as an assistant defensive coordinator.

14. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    I wouldn't worry too much about Wade. On NFL network Turner seems to be the front runner. Jones is consulting Aikman on the HC hire and Troy is a big Turner supporter. Turner was who did the intro for Aikman's HOF induction.

They also said that Turner may not want to coach in the NFL much longer and would be grooming the new OC, Jason Garrett to take over as HC after he was done.

All this came from Adam Schefter.

15. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    NOrv?!?!

:lol:

16. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    I didn't realize how old Wade Phillips is; he turns 60 in June, he's not much younger than Marty.

With the emphasis on younger head coaches these days, I don't see Wade getting any other opportunities. Good for us. :yes:

17. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Next offseason, teams in search of head coaches could be choosing from a field that includes former Pittsburgh coach Bill Cowher, Tennessee's Jeff Fisher, Chicago's Lovie Smith, San Diego's Marty Schottenheimer, maybe Bill Parcells and possibly even New England's Bill Belichick.

Cowher is free to sign with any team after next season, one year after Pittsburgh did not offer him fair market value.

Fisher, according to a source, is not expected to get a contract extension with Tennessee, which would make him a free agent after next season.

Smith and the Bears have been talking, but nothing has materialized and there's no reason for Chicago's coach to sell himself short when he has a Super Bowl on his resume.

Schottenheimer and the Chargers are a divorce waiting to happen after San Diego offered its coach a $4.5 million contract that included a $1 million buyout.

Parcells is apt to return to coaching at any time, as his history indicates.
    And maybe, most interesting, multiple sources around the league believe that Belichick's contract, which does have three years remaining on it, is filled with mutual options that could allow him or the team to nullify the deal as early as next year.

Not only are these coaches' contractual situations looming over next season, they loom over this one as well. Cowboys owner Jerry Jones is aware of the bountiful coaching Class of 2008, and it could impact whom he chooses to coach his team in '07.
    Had Parcells stayed for one more year, it would have perfectly positioned Jones for 2008, when the most famous class of coaches would become available. But now Jones is in a holding pattern.
    If Jones wanted to hire a caretaker or some type of coach in an experimental role -- such as former Cowboys quarterback Jason Garrett -- then he would be free to hire a big-name coach to help usher in the new stadium he is opening in 2009.
    Garrett became the first outside-the-organization candidate to interview with Jones this week. The two met on Jan. 24. It is unclear whether Jones views Garrett more as a head coaching candidate or the offensive coordinator, but it is confirmed that the Cowboys owner knows he must hire somebody who is going to continue to develop his Pro Bowl quarterback, Tony Romo. This is imperative to Jones.

But he also might find it imperative to attack the Class of 2008, the same way the Giants, Redskins, Panthers, Browns and Chargers could.
    Right now, the NFL is wrapping up one of its most successful postseasons. But next offseason already is looming as one of the most intriguing in its history.

And here's one last thought on the topic that's not entirely outlandish to ponder: Just how much money would Redskins owner Daniel Snyder pay for a guy like Belichick? Enough to alter the coaching salary structure, that's for sure.

18. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Good find JL, thanks.

19. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Norv is getting that job. Jerry needs a true "YES MAN" for this season so he can just hand over the reigns to Garrett next season.

Wade will be back in SD.

20. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    I want Jeff Fisher to coach the Chargers sooooo bad. He's a hell of a coach, I wonder why Tenn is not extending him?

21. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    He is a good coach, but has only been to the dance one, right? I mean yourself and others are frustrated with our current coach who has post season performance issues, and you want to hire a younger version?:icon_eek:

22. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Jeff Fisher has coached in more Super Bowls than Marty.

Fact.

23. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    True. But like Riader Glory, that too is ancient history.

:lol:
    :icon_tease:

24. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    I'm still waiting to hear if teams are giving coach Crosby a look. :unsure:

• Like Like x 1
  25. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    That would be the Mariettavill Moose. A pee-wee team in uper Alaska. Word is that they are offering him $200, a chunk of wale blubber and a by out clause of two dried salmons.

26. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Way to overpay.

27. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    cause norm chow will get the job

28. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    I'm just gonna call it now and say that Norm Chow will be a flop as an NFL Head Coach. He's never been a Head Coach at the collegiate level. Asst. Head Coach I think at BYU, right?

Normy... you're a long way from Provo, man. Stick with the coordinator job and you'll be ok.