1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Phillips says streak is team driven

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Nov 12, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Chargers.com
    Casey Pearce
    Posted Nov 12, 2009

Chargers linebacker Shaun Phillips has five sacks in his last three games but credits the defense and his teammates for his recent statistical success.

Statistically, Chargers linebacker Shaun Phillips[​IMG] is on a tear, but forgive him if he refuses to pat himself on the back.
    “It’s kind of funny,” Phillips said. “People think you’re getting more sacks so you must be playing better. Sacks are about opportunity and a little bit of luck goes into it. I’m doing all the same things. The fact that we’re having leads in games and the secondary is playing better; that all factors into it.”
    Phillips leads the Chargers in sacks with five, all of which have come in the last three games. With 46 tackles on the season, he’s well on his way to topping his career high of 88 he set a year ago. Phillips says that although the production appears up because of the statistics, he’s working just as hard as he always does.
    “Unfortunately everything is based on numbers,” Phillips said. “You can go back and look at any play from games, one through eight, and you’ll see I’m out there working just as hard on every play. You won’t see me taking plays off or dogging it. I play this game to my best of my ability week in and week out whether I’m hurt or I’m healthy.”
    No player in the NFL has more sacks in the last three weeks than Phillips. His current run marks the third time he’s had a sack in three consecutive games, and should he get to Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb Sunday, it will tie his career-high streak of four consecutive games. That run came in 2006 when Phillips posted a career-best 11.5 sacks on the season.
    The Chargers went 4-0 during Phillips’ tear in 2006 and they’re 3-0 during his current run. He sees it as no coincidence that his success in both seasons has come during a stretch in which the team was playing at such a high level.
    “It’s not mostly attributed to me,” Phillips said. “It’s attributed to the guys in the secondary and the other 10 guys I’m on the field with. Those guys are doing a great job, which allows me to do what I do best. Any success I have stems from them. It’s fun for me when we’re winning.”
    The last three weeks, opponents have averaged just 117 net passing yards per game against the Chargers, which has San Diego ranked fifth in passing defense on the season. Phillips wants to deflect attention from him and fellow linebacker Shawne Merriman[​IMG], but Head Coach Norv Turner credits them for having a big hand in the way the defense is playing as a whole.
    “Your playmaking guys, your game changers, if they aren’t having opportunities to make those plays, you’re going to have a tough time,” Turner said. “Shaun Phillips and Shawne Merriman are making big plays for us. When you get to the quarterback, it makes it easier on everybody.”
    Should Phillips keep his hot streak alive this week, it will have a little extra meaning for him. He was born in Philadelphia and grew up just across the Delaware River in New Jersey. His heroes as a youngster included Randall Cunningham, Reggie White and Seth Joyner.
    “I was a diehard Eagles fan,” Phillips said. “I can name just about every player on the Eagles’ roster from the 90’s on. Growing up in Philadelphia, you have no choice but to be an Eagles fan. It’s going to be fun for me playing against them. Hopefully this team can keep our win streak alive.”