1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Pick 53

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Boltergeist, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    I know it's too early to lock in roster spots, but it's also more fun to call your shots early.

A couple of ground rules / assumptions. As of right now for the purpose of picking the roster, exclude Marcus McNeill and Vincent Jackson. Also, it has been mentioned by Norv that we are targeting 7 defensive linemen, so let's stick to that assumption. Based on those assumptions, here is my initial roster after pre-season game 1. Starters in bold.

QB: Philip Rivers, Billy Volek, Jonathon Crompton
    RB: Ryan Mathews, Darren Sproles
    FB: Mike Tolbert (RB/FB), Jacob Hester
    WR1: Malcolm Floyd, Buster Davis, Jeremy Williams
    WR2: Legedu Naanee, Josh Reed
    TE: Antonio Gates, Kris Wilson, Randy McMichael
    LT: Brandyn Dombrowski, Tra Thomas
    LG: Kris Dielman, Tyronne Green
    C: Nick Hardwick, Scott Mruczkowski
    RG: Louis Vasquez
    RT: Jeromey Clarey

RE: Travis Johnson, Vaughn Martin, Jacques Cesaire
    NT: Antonio Garay, Cam Thomas
    LE: Luis Castillo, Alfonso Boone
    OLB: Shawne Merriman, Jyles Tucker, Brandon Lang
    ILB: Brandon Siler, Kevin Burnett
    ILB: Stephen Cooper, James Holt
    OLB: Shaun Phillips, Larry English, Antwan Applewhite
    CB: Quentin Jammer, Donald Strickland
    CB: Antoine Cason, Nathan Vasher, Brandon Hughes
    FS: Eric Weddle, Paul Oliver, CJ Spillman
    SS: Darell Stuckey, Steve Gregory

K: Nate Kaeding
    P: Mike Scifres
    LS: David Binn

Noteable cuts: OG Nwagbuo, Ryon Bingham

2. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    Fine - let's start the game

I've got 4 differences

+ Ogemdi Nwagbuo NT
    + Curtis Brinkley RB
    + Jyles Tucker OLB
    + Dante Hughes CB

- Brandon Lang
    - Jeremy Williams
    - Randy McMichaels
    - James Holt

just for after 1st exhibition game

3. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    +Ogemdi Nwagbuo NT
    +Seyi Ajirotutu WR
    +Brandon Lang
    +Jyles Tucker OLB

-Jeremy Williams
    -Randy McMichaels
    -James Holt
    -Curtis Brinkley

Oh and Tolbert starts.

4. coachmarkos

coachmarkos BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +47
    I'd keep Nwagbo over Boone, I think but otherwise, I'm down.

5. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +501
    Uv got larry in twice so u can pick another no?.

6. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +501
    I think OG sticks over Boone. Need another O lineman methinks and maybe 1 less corner. Tucker could stay barely. I'd like to see Bingham stick too but he may b odd one out. Vasher may not make it.

7. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    A couple of things with Boone....Rivera LOVES the guy....he's got experience where we have very little...and he just keeps making plays whenever he is in the lineup including Saturday. I don't think he's going anywhere.

8. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    oops...I had a feeling I was doing this too fast and would miss something....I'm going to add Jyles Tucker.

9. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    That's just about spot on unless injury or just a bad preseason dooms some of the guys on the bubble esp at Dline. As always there's gonna be some real solid players that will not make this team. That's what happens when you have one of the most talents rosters in the League. Also, if they somehow manage to sign McNeil somebody is gonna have to go too. 2nd and 3rd stroing WR and Dline positions still up for grabs. We'll see what shakes out in the preseason too.

10. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I doubt that we keep 8 OL on the final 53. Two, possibly 3 on the PS.

I put mine up about a month ago on a Charger-related site.

11. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    Well...5 are starters....and you usually have at least 2 reserves at OT and OG....I think we carried 8 at the beginning of the year last year and we needed help right away in game one when the Raiders kept diving at the knees of our linemen. All 8 probably won't be active on the 45...but we'll probably carry that many on the 53.

12. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I agree since Olineman go down and with the history of our lineman we will need as many as we can realistically carry.

13. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    And they can always be brought up from the PS if needed.

One of the reasons that we value guys like Dombo, Green, & Mruc highly is because they can play multiple positions.

EDIT: OK, I am admittedly a dumbass. I've been going back & forth on the issue of 7 or 8 on the DL, not the OL. I DO have 8 OL on my final 53. As of now, I also have 8 on my DL.

14. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Nice list - the cut of OG. I dont kno who on DLine should go in his stay, but I do think 7 Dline could be max active we go with come the 53. Since most of them are multi positoinal and can fill in on the fly.

No way if Lang keeps it up we can not keep him around. Doubt he makes the PS year 2. Not after what he could show off to other teams in the coming exhibition games.

Funny thing too I was actualy halted from work today b/c I thought about the starting lineup and how many players could I name currently with SD. I didnt get far before work pulled me back, but I must have heard the names rattling around in ur head all the way over here lol.

15. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    I think we could realistically carry 7 OL since Green is appearing to be so versatile and can back up or start at OG or OT. That would mean we cut Tra Thomas if we had to lose one probably.

I went with 7 on the DL because Norv has already said that they intend on keeping 7 only. Of course it remains to be seen whether or not that changes...and we do appear to have a lot of guys there. There will be some tough cuts.

16. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    We'll see if Lang keeps it up...but he's been looking redonkulously good in the early going...and the tie-breaker is usually ST. I can't remember the last time I say a 265lb guy come off the end to block a punt. That shows that he must have some really good pass rushing moves to make a guy whiff and some extreme acceleration for his size. Applewhite looked excellent as well. I've always liked Jyles Tucker, but he may be in trouble if he doesn't bring it in the remaining games.

17. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    No matter how the 53 finaly shakes out, I am positive that I will miss some departures. Tucker has done enuff over the years and I would love him to stay. At least those departing will be players skilled enuff to be used somewhere. Not like the dissaperance/forced retirement of Eric Parker. Realy thought he had some more games in him, guess he didnt. Damn Toe Injuries are killer.

18. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    I'm kind of iffy on a guy like Jyles Tucker too...I left him on for now, but we have an awful lot of OLBers. He would seem to be a guy that is kind of on the fence along with Lang and Applewhite. Right now, Lang and Applewhite are distinguishing themselves on STs which can go a long way into winning a job. I think with Tucker it might end up being a case of "what have you done for me lately"....especially with that big contract.

One thing I don't know for sure regarding the contracts of guys like Tucker and Castillo in particular....is how a release might negatively impact the team if the bonuses and contract dollars are prorated....Some of these guys may be kept around just based upon business decisions with the money that has already been handed out.

19. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Not sure but I beleive that Castillo is finaly entering a year in his contract past the original $ escalator years. Could be his last year with a crazy price tag, but I dont think hes goin anywhere/gettin contract readjusted for at least this season.

I thought that Castillos contract was heavy front loaded, and am thinkin we are finaly gettin to the lower end of his contract scale.

20. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Not so sure about Buster making the roster, since he's starting to get dinged again. Vasher's not playing especially well either. Brandon Hughes over Vasher.

21. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162
    QB: Philip Rivers, Billy Volek, Jonathon Crompton
    RB: Ryan Mathews, Darren Sproles, Curtis Brinkley
    FB: Mike Tolbert (RB/FB), Jacob Hester
    WR1: Malcolm Floyd, Gary Banks, Jeremy Williams
    WR2: Legedu Naanee, Josh Reed
    TE: Antonio Gates, Kris Wilson, Randy McMichael
    LT: Brandyn Dombrowski, Tra Thomas
    LG: Kris Dielman, Tyronne Green
    C: Nick Hardwick, Scott Mruczkowski
    RG: Louis Vasquez
    RT: Jeromey Clarey

RE: Travis Johnson, Vaughn Martin, Jacques Cesaire
    NT: Antonio Garay, Cam Thomas
    LE: Luis Castillo, Alfonso Boone
    OLB: Shawne Merriman, Brandon Lang
    ILB: Brandon Siler, Kevin Burnett
    ILB: Stephen Cooper, James Holt
    OLB: Shaun Phillips, Larry English, Antwan Applewhite
    CB: Quentin Jammer, Donald Strickland
    CB: Antoine Cason,Brandon Hughes
    FS: Eric Weddle, Paul Oliver,
    SS: Darell Stuckey, CJ Spillman

K: Nate Kaeding,Nick Novak "for the play offs so someone can make a kick"
    P: Mike Scifres
    LS: David Binn

22. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Banks won't make it. sorry to say it as I like the guy & he's a damn hard worker, but it just won't happen. You can insert Buster there. Also, Gregory will be here. Count on it.

23. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    I have a hard time seeing Brinkley on the 53...especially with Tolbert lining up as a RB often. I also think Banks has almost no chance at making the team....but the remaining pre-season games should tell a lot...some darkhorses could emerge.

24. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    OK...so after 3 pre-season games...I'm a little less bullish on Brandon Lang. Josh Reed is right on the chopping block and I'm cutting him in favor of Williams. Ajirotutu, had a solid game 2 and lost his possible spot in game 3. Obviously Tra Thomas is gone. I'm thinking we are going to keep 8 DL now. We are going to need another reserve OL, and I added Cameron Stephenson who seems to be showing a little better out of our really poor compilation of scrubs. Vasher has been mediocre, but I can't see us cutting his experience at CB. You always have to have some insurance at that position.