1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Planning for the worst possible draft scenario

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by matilack, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Kj1551

Kj1551 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    Today I was more impressed with Lane Johnson than Joekel for wht it's worth. I would be estatic to see him or fisher (unlikely) be there for us at 11.

In this scenario, you can go defense with Kenny Vaccarro, who would be great with Weddle, go with Jarvis Jones or Dion Jordan to fill Shaun Phillips void if they let him walk, or Desmond Trufant t replace Jammer.

But realistically, I would expect them to go with Warmack or Cooper, and nab Fluker or gamble on Armstead if theyre available in the second.

Not a bad position to be in

2. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    We can't go anywhere but OT in the 1st right now.

Sure we could go Cooper, but how is that going to keep Von Miller from raping Rivers up and down the field again in 2013?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +294
    Dont kno if hes did his combine drills, but I been mocking close to this scenario happening and I gave us Johnaton Banks... I guess I dont see him as as much of a reach and would be happy with the pick. OLB would be a good alternate first consideration. Im also not down on drafting Chance with the 11 pick.

4. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    I think there is a pretty realistic chance of either Banks, Rhodes, and/or Trufant falling to us in the 2nd...depending on how they run at the combine. CB is one of those positions that 40 time can sway draft position quite a bit. Also as I've mentioned I'm a big fan of Jamar Taylor, Wreh-Wilson is a solid 2nd rounder himself, and Robert Alford caught a lot of eyes at the senior bowl.

This is a damn deep CB group this year.

5. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +836
    Alford was diagnosed with some type of IBS disease that may hurt his stock. I love the kids play but I also read he has a hard time learning plays, His defensive coordinator said

6. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +836
  7. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +294
    You hear about Star and he had a heart condition discovered?

8. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +836
    I say no but Im just reporting anything Charger related on here

ESPN AFC West blogger Bill Williamson considers Tennessee WR Cordarrelle Patterson a "dark horse possibility" for the Chargers at No. 11 overall.
    Patterson would add a beastly playmaking element to San Diego's offense. We're just not sure he's going to be available at No. 11, and whether he'd be a smart pick. The Chargers are desperate for functional offensive line play, and they're drafting behind the receiver-needy Bills (No. 8) and Jets (No. 9).

9. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +836
    The Union-Tribune San Diego's Kevin Acee believes the Chargers should trade Philip Rivers if they aren't willing to conduct a "massive rebuild" of their offensive line.
    Acee floated his idea to a "half-dozen agents and assistant coaches" at the Combine, and "none disagreed," while most "vehemently concurred." Rivers got absolutely battered in 2012, getting sacked on 50 of his 587 drop backs. The Bolts' most glaring need is at left tackle, where Jared Gaither up and quit last season. Picking 11th, the Chargers are in prime position to draft an impact lineman.

10. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    If they go WR it is.

11. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,632
  12. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    We cant afford Albert, or Clady or any top LT FA. Someone like Max Starks is in our price range. We are only 6.3 mil under the cap. I'd rather draft a LT at #11 than sign Starks.

Sent from my GS3

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    Miami Herald says the Dolphins would like to keep Martin at RT.

Could be disinformation, but I expect them to be in the Eric Fisher / Lane Johnson hunt...and they have the picks to move ahead of us.

I hate to be so reactionary, but I think we've got to seriously consider Long, Albert, Bushrod, and Baker.

14. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +633
    Yeah, I don't see us moving up, but hey I don't mind Chance Warmack either ;)

15. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    It would be a shame to have to give up a 2nd day pick to secure one of the 3 LTs, but the alternative is sickening.

16. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +836
    Even if we pick up a Max Starks type player, we don't necessarily have to go into the draft needing a Tackle, Surely not tipping our hand.

Plus if we did somehow manage to fix our O line needs partially through FA (depending on how much money we end up saving) I would be more inclined to suggest snagging Cordarrelle Patterson.

As far as KC goes, nobody know what they're going to do. They could bring back Albert, and Go Floyd with the first pick.

The way I see it, this is the cluster of guys (in order) who I would want, I have Johnson slightly above Joeckel only because of my preference, I believe in 3 years if we looked back at this draft people would be doing the "we should have took Johnson........."

Eric Fisher
    Lane Johnson
    Luke Joeckel
    Dion Jordan
    Chance Warmack
    Johnathan Cooper
    Dee Milliner
    Cordarrelle Patterson
    Barkevious Mingo

Worst possible draft scenario still gets you a good football player

17. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    I would still consider tackle a need even if we sign Max Starks. The guy will be 31 this season, and 32 during the football year, and has a lot of wear and tear under his belt.

I've seen about 5 mock drafts today having Lane Johnson getting picked in the top 10 and Luke Joeckel and Eric Fisher have gone top 5.

18. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    I would not consider Patterson or Mingo @#11. I just don't like Mingo for us , WR in the first round is just ridiculous.
    I'd pick Cooper over Warmack.

Sent from my GS3

19. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +836
    I agree, But with Starks, the need for Joeckel, Fisher, Johnson wouldn't be as great. With that we could take who ever fell to us without feeling the pressure to move up. We could then grab a not as polished/high upside guy in the 2nd like Watson, Armstead, Mills.

Obviously Starks would be a band aid/insurance type player who would get the nod if injuries occur or if he development isn't going smoothly. As it appears we are going to be 12 to 15 million under the cap when its all said and done, and as much as I would love to get a Long or Albert to sure up the LT spot. I think hey go the route of using that money for quantity over quality.

If used correctly we could Re sign Vas or Levitre, Novak, Barnes, and or Cason (or bring in Powers)

Sign Starks, Bell or some other LT (less hype guy) who would still be considered an upgrade.

As I've said I still think the top 3 tackles should be on top of the Chargers list but I would feel more comfortable going into this draft if we could somehow know off all of our major needs in FA (quantity over quality) then solidifying those needs through the draft.

20. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +836

Worst possible scenario lets say the draft goes like this

Joeckel LT
    Jordan OLB
    Floyd DT
    Lotulelei NT
    Milliner CB
    Jones OLB
    Fisher LT
    Smith QB
    Ansah OLB
    Johnson LT

Trade back isn't an option.

Obviously I would take a Cooper or Warmack but lets say in free agency they do fill some major needs at LT, OG, OLB

I put Patterson there only for that reason, I just couldn't think of 21 other players I would rather have over a top WR prospect. But only if we filled the needs in Free agency would I ever consider a WR in the first, which is why I put him near the bottom of my wish list

21. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    This team goes where Philip Rivers takes it, and Philip Rivers goes where his offensive line takes him. So I'll say it again, if we go into the draft without signing a legitimate LT alternative and just hoping to get Fisher or Johnson, we risk the entire 2013 season in the process.

I would love to get Dion Jordan, I've been hyping him for a couple months now as a top 5 worthy pick. But if we go into this season with Armstead at LT (assuming he even falls to us at 45) and Clary at RT...I have an incredibly hard time believing we win 8 games this year. And that goes for Warmack at 11 as well.

22. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +836
    Thats why I targeted a guy like Starks not the sexiest name of the bunch but is (like I said) a great insurance/ band aid type player

Tell me which Legitimate LT that isn't seeking 7-11 million a season that doesn't have major injury concerns are you willing to gamble on

And who knows maybe if we did have a Armstead, Watson, Quessenberry type player on our roster last year instead of UDFA maybe we could have gone farther.

I agree with what you're saying and hope we do pick up a solid tackle in free agency before the draft and I hope more than anything that Clary isn't our starting RT next year. It tell me they couldn't find someone better or didn't try.

23. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    They can seek what they want, but I guarantee they're not going to get it. Agents always aim high, but the reality is the teams that need LTs that bad don't have the money to sign a guy like Jake Long for $11M a year. The very fact that the Dolphins have $45M in open cap space, are not in a place to guarantee Fisher or Johnson and are still unwilling to sign Jake Long is damaging to his contract demands. And the same can be said for the Chiefs and Albert.

I would offer Long a deal for around 5yrs, 45M, and less than half of that guaranteed due to his injury issues, and thats keeping in mind his cap hit for 2013 would only be around $6M, which happens to be what Vasquez is looking for. Albert will get less, and Baker and Bushrod will get less than both.

The biggest advantage of all of this is being we can spend our 1st round pick how we choose to, we're not strapped down by need, we could even try to trade down and collect.

24. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    Teams like the Patriots, Vikings who have important pending free agents at right tackle with Sebastian Vollmer and Philip Loadholt, are not applying their franchise tags on them, which would be an estimated $9M, there are only a handful of right tackles that make $5.5M a year.

So I expect a guy like Brandon Albert and Jake long to get something near $9-10M a year, those are considered the top left tackles in free agency. Both of them have had a few injuries, but both have average 14 games a year since their rookie year. So they might get a little less since they were both injured to end the year.

I wouldn't mind Max Starks, he'll come on most likely, the vet minimum, or something close to it. Demetress Bell I wouldn't mind either, but he'll have to come on a show and prove contract, something in the range of $1.5-2M on a 1 year deal. The ideal situation is, we sign Bell to that deal, sign his old teammate Chad Rinehart to play left guard to a similar deal, both worked with Joe D, and hopefully they can continue their success they had in Buffalo here in San Diego. And hopefully, we re-sign Louis Vasquez.

Having said all that, when players shoot up draft boards, their are usually really good ones who fall, and carry that chip on their shoulder. But, still I would draft a tackle in the 1st, if Lane Johnson, Eric Fisher or Luke Joeckel are there. If not, we take BPA to our need. I'm still putting emphasis on offensive line in this draft, I want at least 2 offensive linemen in the first 4 rounds. Like Mati said, this team runs on Philip Rivers, if he has a clean pocket, we usually get good results.

25. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    And apparently we have 2nd round grades on Le'Veon Bell, Christine Michael and Jawan Jamison? Interesting.

Guys I'll consider if there at 11 are Star Lotulelei and Chance Warmack, if Luke Joeckel, Eric Fisher, and Lane Johnson are all off the board. I don't even see Dion Jordan making it out of the top-5, and Star Lotulelei I can't see the "heart condition" being the reason why he has fallen, but some teams will wrongly evaluate that.

26. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    Yeah but the top WR prospect has one year of real college experience with only a 46 reception season. Sure he showed promise but they all do. #11 imo is too high for Patterson for my taste when we can get a good player elsewhere where we need it more. I think if he gets by Miami, Chicago may take him at #20 and if not, he keeps falling.
    I dont see him as the best player on the board there.

27. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    Who does? You or Telesco? And where did you see that? I find that hard to believe.

28. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    I believe the draft will look somewhat like this,

1.) KC - Shariff Floyd (DT) - Glenn Dorsey is a free agent, Tyson Jackson is heading that way if he doesn't restructure, this will be a glaring need for KC. They'll have to re-sign Brandon Albert/Dwayne Bowe with the tag going on one of them.
    2.) JAX - Dion Jordan (DE) - Gus Bradley recently said, Pete Carroll taught him to build his team on speed. And well, they had a league low 20 sacks last year, Dion Jordan fits that bill.
    3.) OAK - Ezekiel Ansah (DE) - OAK planned on going with Floyd, but with him being taken at No. 1, expect OAK to take the upside on Ansah, who also were one of the NFL's worst at sacking the QB.
    4.) PHI - Luke Joeckel (OT) - Chip Kelly really wanted Jordan at No. 4, but he will take Joeckel at No. 4 because Peters is coming off an achilles, and if Peters can perform well, Herremans will move back to OG and Joeckel to ROT.
    5.) DET - Eric Fisher (OT) - DET will take BPA, and since Fisher/Joeckel were neck and neck as the No. 1 pick, they'll gladly take Fisher. Backus will is a declining 36 year old LOT, and Rieff will command the ROT position.
    6.) CLE - DeMarcus Milliner (CB) - CLE might have one of the best duo's for a few years at the CB position, selecting Milliner and having Haden will solidify that.
    7.) ARI - Lane Johnson (OT) - I think ARI will spend a day 2 selection on a QB, possibly Barkley, and they'll need to protect that QB whether its Kolb, Skeleton, Lindley or that day 2 QB they select.
    8.) BUF - Geno Smith (QB) - BUF makes out the best of all teams in the top 10, they are probably reaching, but Buddy Nix wants his 'franchise QB', and the Bills can't take Fitzpatrick anymore.
    9.) NYJ - Barkevious Mingo (OLB) - NYJ, I thought initially would turn to the offensive side of the ball in this draft. But, Patterson is a reach at No. 9, and they have guys like Holmes, Hill, and Kerley already. They just need to perform. Jarvis Jones might be taken though if he checks out okay.
    10.) TEN - Jonathan Cooper (C/OG) -TEN haven't taken an OL in the first round in nearly 6-7 years. There old inside, and Amano didn't play in 2012 and might be cut. Velasco is a free agent, and Cooper has value as a C and OG over Warmack.
    11.) .. There are some options here .. Star Lotulelei (NT/DE), Chance Warmack (OG), Jarvis Jones (OLB) .. Thoughts?

29. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    I don't,

Le'Veon Bell - 2nd rounder
    Christine Michael - 3rd rounder
    Jawan Jamison - 3rd/4th rounder

Apparently that's the news that has surfaced. Why would you find that hard to believe? Those are some really good backs. But, I think we will check out the running back market in free agency.

30. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    Well i dont think it is going to look like that. Right off the bat, why would KC let Albert walk and then not replace him? My opinion only but i think Ansah is rated much too high by some and Mingo imo will go farther down than that. Somewhere mid round on down. Jets WR's arent real good and still think they will go OLB but not with Mingo. Rex Ryan knows he is too small. Their smallest OLB was in the 250's not a string bean at 240.

Manny Lawson clone who went #22 and is a bust because where he was picked with 18 career sacks since 2006. Dont think they would pick Jarvis Jones either . He isnt any bigger. Seems Jax is always picking a DE and who knows, maybe the Jax GM picks Jones #2.

As for us, i wouldnt touch Jarvis Jones and wouldnt touch Star unless he is 100% cleared. Though it still looks like that is our best options because for me i still wouldnt pick Mingo forus. So for us i guess id go Warmack or trade down.
    However i think there is a chance Barkley could go in there someplace to maybe AZ or Buffalo. Maybe Cleveland even surprises and then tries to trade Weeden who will be 29 or 30 this season wont he?