1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Planning for the worst possible draft scenario

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by matilack, Feb 16, 2013.

1. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +633
    And where do the Jaguars get their pass rusher they so dearly need? Quite the fall off in the 2nd, Bradley stated if he learned anything from Carroll it was to build his team on speed. And Dion Jordan is so versatile, I believe he can be Gus Bradley's hybrid player.

They have a need at corner, but the CB class is so deep, they can wait til the second and get a really solid player. They don't have a need at DT, which rules Star Lotulelei and Shariff Floyd out.

And if the Jags don't take him, can't see the Lions not taking him. I don't think the Revis deal will get done on draft day at all, before or after it.

2. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +771
    I still believe Jax takes Geno Smith, then grabs a guy like Aurthor Brown in the top of the 2nd.

3. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    Arthur Brown won't make it out of the top 25, plus he's not a pass rusher. I just don't see Jax taking Geno Smith.

The new regime have stated they'll give Blaine Gabbert a 2nd chance, after being criticized by former Jaguars assistants. Then Maurice Jones-Drew slammed those comments of Gabbert. And hey, if Gabbert fails, then they'll get another top-5 pick and will most likely select a QB in a stronger class in 2014, and also a few QB free agents.

4. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +771
    The new regime also has to be aware that Gabbert has cost 2 HC's their jobs I'm sure Gus isn't willing to do the same. Anyone will say anything this time of year, of course MJD came to Gabbert's side, that's what good teammates do, Just like Corey Liuget did with Mathews complacent comments. And I think Aurthor Brown is going to slip to the 2nd

5. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +771
    Fun fact just as I typed that this was posted

Kansas State LB Arthur Brown visited the Jaguars on Wednesday.
    We consider Brown a top 10 talent, but he will likely be selected within picks No. 20 to 40. The Kansas State product and Miami transfer has the athleticism to play on the weakside behind a four man front, but also the physical mentality to work inside. He is a viable option at No. 33 if available.

6. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    He's the best 3-4 ILB in the draft, now in a 4-3 scheme I believe he can play all over. But, all these ILB's are toss ups, I think he goes first though. So I see a 10-32 range for him. But that's just my opinion.

But, have you watched some tape on him? He really does look like Patrick Willis. He's gonna need to add at least 5-10 lbs to his upper body, needs to be to at least 240, but man can the kid fly, always around the ball.

7. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    Totally disagree with this.

First, Jack Del Rio was already against the ropes in Jax. Only having 3 winning seasons since 2003 there. Take into account they had a new owner come in late 2011, early 2012.

Second, Mike Mularkey was hired by Gene Smith. Gene Smith was fired by new owner Shahid Khan. Khan brought in the GM he wanted in David Caldwell, and Caldwell has hired his man Gus Bradley. There out look on the future is similar to ours, its going to take a little before they can grade these guys out.

Selecting 2 QB's in the 1st round in the top 10 the last 3 years is highly unlikely.

And MJD could of went against Gabbert similar to how Butler did to Mathews right?

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,602
    Admittedly it's alot easier and it's alot cheaper to drop a QB now than five years ago

Add to that that players who are drafted in top 10 can be signed for five years not four years, and teams might be willing to risk it on a QB or to dump a QB earlier

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,602
    I'll put in a side note

If Jacksonville/Philadelphia/Detroit go either QB or Def, the Chargers are in great shape to get an OT unless there's a massive trade up rush

I maintain that Arizona is not going OT, they might go OG (Warmack?)

10. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,610
    And I maintain that Miami will not settle for Jonathan Martin at LT, he was horrible in his short stint their last year.

11. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    The only team I see spending a pick on a QB in the top 10 is Buffalo, and that's really it. Whether its Ryan Nassib or Geno Smith for them.

JAX, OAK, PHI, DET, and NYJ I have all going defense, possibly CLE and ARI.

ARI might even surprise people and go OLB, check this out:

Daryl Washington: 9 sacks
    Quentin Groves: 4 sacks
    Adrian Wilson: 3 sacks
    Paris Lenon: 2 sacks
    William Gay: 1 sack
    Kerry Rhodes: 1 sack

Combined for a total of 20 out of ARI's 38 sacks last year, which is 53%, and all of those guys are no longer with the team, as for Washington's case, he is suspended for the first 4 games of the 2013 season. And I don't think O'Brien Schofield and Sam Acho are ready for the full time role at OLB, with no depth behind them either.

12. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    No they wont. Levi Brown was awful at LT for them. He was dreadful across the board. Giving up sacks, getting penalties. That was a classic liars month comment from Arians when he said Brown was elite and he will help out hen healthy next season. They need to get a better LT. They pick high enough where they can get a pass rusher in round 2.
    However, id welcome it if they went defense in round one because i dont like any of the first round OLB's for us and it would push a LT more to us. But make no mistake, their OL was crap last season too and they need a LT.

And Acho is ready for a full time role and started all 16 games last season but Schofield ...he is starting but he only played 9 games last year and missd 13 in three seasons because he is undersized to be a 3-4 OLB and he is hurt too much. This is his 4th season and he is still only 242 lbs at a possition that he knows he needs to get bigger............ which will be Mingo's problem as well.

13. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    LOL, if Fisher is on the board, AZ will take him. Vacarro over a franchise LT? No damn way they do that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +348
    If we are going to get one of the big three LT's it will have to be us trading into the top 10 get them. If for whatever reason one of them slides, there will be teams trading ahead of us to snag one. And I personally do not want us taking Fluker at 11 like there are some reporting. Sitting at 11 will get us one of the top 2 G's, but very unlikely to get us one of the top 3 LT.

15. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I'm torn on the prospect of trading up. On the one hand, moving up to the 6th pick would be costly, and we need multiple pieces. I think Johnson is worth a top 10 pick, but I don't think that a top ten pick is worth the 11th and a 3rd (or more). Part of the reason for our talent black holes is that we've traded up and missed. If we traded up for Johnson and he never developed, it would set the Franchise back, just like trading up for Mathews and then getting middling production from him did.

16. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I am 100% against moving up!!!! I would be OK with moving back though and addressing OT in the late 1st or 2nd. We have WAY too many holes to waste picks moving up. Last time we did that, we ended up with a RB that can't stay on the field or hold onto the ball.

17. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I'm very much inclined to agree. We definitely **** the bed winning those last few regular season games. 3 losses and we'd be talking about whether Fisher, Johnson, or Joeckel was going to be available at 4...

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +348

I never said that I wanted to. I just said, if TT and McCoy feel like they want one of those guys, they are going to have to move into the top 10. IMO.

19. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Time will tell. There is bound to be a Tyson Jackson type that gets drafted way earlier than expected which could leave one of those guys dropping to us

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

20. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +771
    Which is my belief that we should take one of the top guards, if one of these top LT's are gone, It certainly isn't a premium pick, it isn't a sexy pick. It does certainly fill one of the biggest needs, while moving our O line in the right direction. One of the reasons our O line has been so terrible these past year is because we have been filling those spots with low tier/ off the street guys. And on top of it all it's the "Safest" way to go IMO

First year GM going with Warmack or Cooper who are ranked the better players in this draft all around only to be lowered in value because the position they play

or Mingo, Rhodes or a player likely to fall out of the top 10 (sure there is upside, but is not attempting to fix our O line in any way shape or form really worth that gamble?)

Plus who in this draft outside of the top 5 O line men are really better value/need picks anywhere in the first round.

Fisher, Joeckel, Warmack and Cooper are considered "Elite" type players, I'd love to have one of those vs. a high upside yet huge gamble pass rusher

21. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    If we take Fluker at 11 I hope Telesco hands in his resignation along with the pick. I think, as things are shaping up now, we end up with Cooper, Warmack, or, should he fall, Milliner at 11.

22. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I am just curious, with all the talk about us going to more zone blocking, would Warmack fit that scheme? Seems like everything I have heard is that he is more of a power blocking guy.

I only ask because if he is passed on, that may be why. Simply not a scheme fit

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

23. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +771
    I think it would be a form of ZBS, not a true scheme like the Redskins run, I believe they would still try to implement some type of power scheme also. Personally I think having one of these Elite guards would help out a lot, in the run and the pass.

24. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I agree, i just wonder how much of an effect a great player who may not be a scheme fit, would be and if that would affect who the Chargers draft and who they pass on

25. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    Speaking to the 2 top OG's on this. IMO, Cooper is the superior pick if we incorporate more ZBS. That's absolutely no knock on Warmack - I just see Cooper as quicker & more nimble with little drop-off in strength.

• Agree Agree x 1