1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Play da man!!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Buck Melanoma, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/09/26/race-for-rookie-of-the-year-week-3/

Except for a couple of penalties that resulted from being over-eager, good things have happened when Ingram is on the field. I'm hoping to see him spending a lot of time in Cassell's face this weekend.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. eoconnor101

eoconnor101 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +35
    We don't see what happens at practice. He may exhibit signs of not being ready for a high number of snaps. I like what I see so far, but there have been times he's made mental errors, like when he had the Tenesee punter dead to rights for a block but pulled his hands back and ran into him anyways on his own. Wasn't called but Fouts called it a 'terrible non call' by now infamous replacement refs. We also seem to have a lot of healthy LBs and Pagano seems to be keeping them fresh and angry by rotating them in. Now Butler and Phillips seem to be everywhere so far this season! Imagine if we'd kept hold of Burnett.

3. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,732
    I know you typed a bunch of additional stuff, but I just wanted to isolate this great point,
    since I think it accounts for a huge percentage of decisions coaches (all over the league)
    make that confuse or anger fans. Folks often focus on a couple of plays on TV, and that's
    all they see...but coaches see hour after hour of these guys on the practice field, weight room,
    film room, etc. Since I know that I see 1/100th as much of, say, Richard Goodman as the
    coaches do, I try to be patient re. their decision to have him return more kicks, for instance,
    than I might want. I'm absolutely not saying that I don't still question or second guess Rich Bisaccia,
    just that I acknowledge that I'm operating on a tiny fraction of the info available to him.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Well, since I watched the guy wreak absolute havoc in college, & by all reports that I read from training camp he was performing extremely well, I'm gonna go with play da man.

5. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,732
    Yeah, well since it's your freakin' thread & your bloody headline, you better agree with that Buck fella!

[Remainder of dumbass post deleted by dumbass poster,
    because drunkenly, dumbassly posted re. entirely different player]

6. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Yeah, I don't think Ingram is gonna affect RM's carries too much, except when he causes a turnover & our offense gets more time of possession.

Of course I agree with Buck - he pays my bills! :tup:

• Funny Funny x 4
  7. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Practice? We talkin' 'bout practice?

C'mon man...

Larry English might do everything right in practice. But he brings zero impact on Sunday.

Play Melvin. I'd rather have a guy who is a difference maker having the occasional brain fart, but who takes the offense's attention... than a guy who never makes a mistake but also never makes a meaningful play.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,732
    Oh crap...that's the second time today I thought someone was talking about someone else.
    Not a good sign. I think Tuesday will be exactly one year I've been here...might be a good
    time for a vacation!

9. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,773
    Gotta be honest, the few times I've focused in on Melvin he was slow off the snap. I sure haven't seen him in the backfield more than a couple times. That said Matt Ryan in particular was getting it out very fast.

Gotta see more Melvin! I didn't like how often Johnson was in on 3rd downs.

10. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,670
    Only question i have; why then is Jarrett Johnson even in on the most obvious passing downs?

Still when you consider that they have to rotate Barnes and English (oy) in as well, there's alot of players and not alot of spots open. Wonder if they've ever considered doing a three or four OLB grouping

11. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    The answer is coverage. Johnson may not be a threat as a pass rusher but we don't have any LBers other than he and Butler who can cover TEs, and we've been sending Butler on blitzes typically in passing situations.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,777
    Ting may become a factor midway through the season once he ripens up a little bit and he's got some good dudes to learn from. Even though they took a beating last Sunday these guys are going to respond and tighten up, there is just to much front 7 talent to be pushed around. If I were the DC, and y'all glad I'm not, I would blitz all day long and play man coverage till the cows come home. But that's just me, risky but effective if it works.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    The Chargers don't have the secondary talent to play that much man to man. I saw plenty of 5 man rush vs. the Falcons but no one could get to Ryan because he didn't hold the ball for more than 2.5 seconds

The Chiefs are nowhere near the Falcons level... so it should provide plenty of opportunity to move Melvin around and let him blow things up without having to remember too much. He's a bullet. Just load him in the chamber and fire.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Cassell won't beat us. Charles could. He's as good as McFadden & better than CJ2Yards.

If necessary to get him in the lineup, play Melvin with his hand in the dirt more. It's not as if he can't play the run too.

15. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,777
    If a corner back/safety/nickle-dime back cannot play man coverage in the NFL then maybe they should find another line of work. They're not being asked to run a marathon with a receiver but playing off and giving them a 5-7 yard cushion isn't working very well either. Of course, if the front seven can't get pressure it doesn't matter what coverage you play someone will always get open.

Ting can't do it by himself and as his understanding of the game grows and his technique becomes second nature it should start causing problems. In a 34 defense the blitz is a must and bringing a corner, safety or additional backer is a prerequisite for getting QB pressure but clogging running lanes.

16. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    He's already causing opposing teams problems.

Play da man!!!! :abq1:

17. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,777
    It's just the rest of the guys now, Ryan had way to much time and wasn't dirty enough for my liking.

18. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,243
    Damn... I thought we were still all against, and sticking it to 'Da Man'... I cant keep up any longer.

I am going to go occupy Starbucks!

19. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Go ahead. Their coffee sucks. :p

20. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,670
    Much rather have Coffee Bean here in California :)
    Stick it to the man by supporting the smaller, slightly less evil man

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. boltfanatik

boltfanatik Toxic Minority Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Starbucks? I don't go for overpriced *** nectar, plain old cup of homemade joe is my choice.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,243
    Thread derailed...

My work here is done...

VIVA LA STARBUCKS!

23. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,732
    Tragically, here in the East County there is no Peet's...
    so Starbuck's gets some of my coffee allowance by default.
    The product is decent--not good--and at least the corp. is less evil than many.

24. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,777
    I'll take a black low-lead coffee please.

25. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +179
    Id like to see demorrio williams take over for spikes in passing situations ... looks like hes alrdy starting to cut into spikes playing time but i just wanna pull my hair out when i see takeo spikes at this point in his career dropping back in coverage or trying to man up a tight end

26. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +449
    Is Williams not already coming in on passing downs? last year they were taking Butler out and leaving Spikes in but that is not the case in 2012.

27. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Wow - who knew that a guy with such short arms could bat down a pass? :rolleyes:

28. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Yes, it was a costly penalty. Not only did it take 6 points off the board, it also seemed to deflate our defense. Ingram has to take responsibility for the penalty. The momentum swing (yes Lance - momentum) is on everyone on that unit that allowed it to shake their resolve.

I'm giving the kid a pass for 2 main reasons ...
    One, he's a rookie & unfortunately mistakes are going to happen.
    Two, I'd rather be forgiving him for being aggressive & trying to make a play than for dogging it or flat out getting beat.

Play da man!!!!

29. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I'll agree with that. I'd rather have James Harrison on the team than Larry English.

30. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    The move that Melvin put on that tackle was awesome though. Keep loading him up and sending him. The kid is not dumb... he's figuring this thing out quickly.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1