1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Playcalling against the 49ers

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by LaDeezie21, Oct 16, 2006.

1. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    It was obvious that the bolts were on a mission to pass the ball yesterday. But I thought it was very interesting to see the team pass so much when they were pinned back in their own endzone. I'm not a Marty basher, I've never been. I think that Martyball in the right situations works. Being backed up so deep in your own territory is definitely one of those situations.

I'm surprised that I haven't seen any "Fire Marty" threads. We gave up a safety when we shouldn't have. I know the game was a blowout but I believe Marty was proving a point and he shouldn't have. A lot of fans have been complaining about the play selection recently but it's obvious that he's opened up the playbook and he didn't have to take a safety to prove to us that he's changed. If we do lose another game this year (which will most likely happen) let's try not to jump on the coaches right away. Sometimes players make plays and that's what I think happened when we lost against the Ravens. Sure Marty could of thrown a ton of times but he didn't know how Philip would respond so he played it safe. I'm sure Marty thought that there would be plenty of games this year where he would get a chance to let Philip air it out but not against Baltimore. Now we lost that game and all hell broke lose. And I'm sure that loss has a lot to do with the new playcalling.But if we lose again and the playcalling in that game is consistent with the last two games will we see threads calling for Marty's head for not running the ball enough? I love the fact that we're passing but we as fans sometimes overreact. I'd hate to lose Marty and his system that all the players are familiar with especially right now when things are going to well. A new system would mean a year or two of mediocrity and I think the Bolts are ready to win it all now.

2. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    The 'Fire Marty' threads will return right after our next loss. No matter if we run it 40 times a game or throw it 40 times a game.

• Like Like x 1
  3. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +288

I don't think so, I mean you do have Marty haters, but you can't argue that marty does have this team prepared week in and week out.

You will see Fire Marty threads IF he tries to sit on a 4pt lead for 45 minutes again.....:yes:

4. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    That safety was on Philip. He had all day to throw, and he didn't get rid of it. He had outlets on that play he could have dumped it off to, too.

5. mapcap55

mapcap55 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +66
    Rivers held on to the ball too long, he said so himself.

I like the aggressive call and I don't think it was Marty trying to prove anything.

Philip was having his way with the 9ers all day long, he just made a bad decision there...

6. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    I was a little suprised with those calls as well. But I think at that point, Rivers had only missed like 2 throws. So I think he just wanted to keep torching the secondary, especially in such an obvious running situation...:unsure:

7. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Give it up, PCF. Wonderslug will never get it. :no:

:icon_rofl:

8. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    That is my only gripe with him. Sitting on small leads when we have the ability to score more and not taking what the D is giving.

Running into a 4-4 stacked line....:no:

Great game yesterday! :tup:

That tailgate was off the hook!

9. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    Yep, LT was right in front of him, wide open.

Hey dude, on TV it looked like the Niners were stopping our rush in just their base defense. I think that's why Marty continued to pass.

How did it look in person?

10. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851

No, what I don't get is all the whining about Marty, even after a win. There are still idiots who say we won't win anything with him as our HC. Those people need to 'give it up'. :icon_evil:

11. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    I think Rivers was waiting for something to develop further down field and just waited too long.

I think Marty is starting to "trust" Philip and therefore airing it out more.

• Like Like x 1
  12. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    word :yes: :icon_mrgreen: :lol: :icon_tease:

13. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    The Niners were in their base package, but they were creeping their safeties down into the box on almost every play. Their corners were playing off and the deep out was there on almost ever play. The Niners were getting no pressure. So passing the ball just made alot of sense.

14. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    word :yes:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    I agree with that, but I think the vast majority are more like me and Philly. We don't dig it when Marty goes into a shell with over a half of football to play.

I give Marty huge props for keeping the pedal to the metal yesterday. :tup:

16. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    I love the fact Marty is gaining enough confidence in PR to have him throw out of the end-zone. I also think it's smart.

My complaint about Marty after the Ravens game was that he was showing no confidence in PR at all. There was no other reason to button-up the offense that early than to protect the offense against Marty's perception that PR would lose the game.

That seems to have been fixed, so I'm happy. As long as Marty doesn't go back to treating PR like a raw rookie I'll continue to be content with the playcalling.

17. PhillyChargerFan

Ratings:
    +288

Nah, Sluggo is an intelligent poster. The problem isn't you and I the problem is the flamers who come on here and take an absolute stance. That's what gets Sluggo, BFISA and Conc up in arms.

18. PhillyChargerFan

Ratings:
    +288

:tup: :yes:

and for good measure :icon_banana:

19. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Yes. That's what we are saying.

It's ok to question Marty on general playcalling. I do that sometimes.

However, the posters that rile me are the ones that make the blanket statement "The Bolts will never reach the Super Bowl with Marty at the helm."

20. PhillyChargerFan

Ratings:
    +288

Well, we haven't gotten there with him (Marty) yet :icon_eek:

:icon_rofl:

J/K

Just had to get a little dig in. :icon_tease:

21. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    I don't think we can't make a SB with Marty as our coach. But I will confess that I will be nervous about Marty's snake-bitten nature the moment we start our first postseason game.

22. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Just like Rivers, once fans see that first win with him, they'll be hooked. :lol:

23. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    So by "posters" you mean Booman. :lol:

24. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +635
    a couple of thoughts

1) Marty is probably "warning" other teams tha this will happen to them if they stack the box, id that's the case, this was a good game to do it

2) Hope this isn't the case but I remmember Kobe doing it to with the Lakers, Could Marty had been expecting the Chargers to lose one of the two previous games with this game planning focused on passing and give us a big "told you so, this is what you stupid fans that question me wanted, this is what you get"?

25. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +635
    can we talk about posters from the "other" site ? :icon_huh: :icon_mrgreen:

26. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    No way, never. I could never even think that marty would pull a stunt like that. I think it is more like seeing how many things he can throw at rivers now and seeing where his limits might be or what he can expect from him in different situations down the line.:unsure:

27. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +635
    I do agree that it's highly unlikely but, then again, you wouldn't think Marty would play Brees in a meaningless game just to earn a bonus in his contract :icon_shrug:

Some people that are (at least in their mind) way smarter and knowledgeble (sp?) than others hate to be criticized

28. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    doesn't matter who's it on. It's still a safety. You have to be a bit more careful when you're that close to your endzone. Bad things are more likely to happen in that situation. We were fortunate that we were up by a ton of points. In a close game I wouldn't mind seeing them throw the ball and try to catch them on a blitz but if that pass is incomplete I try to run it on second down. If they want to get cute with I think 2nd and 10 on our own 6 would be a good time to run the reverse we always bluff on.

29. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I think Marty respected Drew enough that he left it up to Drew. Drew is a competitor. He wanted to play. Marty wasn't going to bench him.

I don't buy the conspiracy theory that Marty was thinking about some contract bonus.

30. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Yes it does matter. The Niners weren't getting any pressure, so whether we were in the endzone or not shouldn't have mattered. The only reason you don't throw inside your own 10 is the threat of a safety. If the defense can't get to the QB, there is no threat of a safety.

If the Bolts had run a reverse from their own 6, they would have been blasted and rightfully so.