1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Player Development

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, May 14, 2016.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Oct 28, 2009
    I heard Jacob Hester on the local radio yesterday, and he was asked about Jamarcus Russell wanting to rejoin the NFL (they're both LSU alums), and what he thought of the idea.

Hester said that Russell seemed to be sincere, but didn't really say that it was realistic. What he did mention (that struck a cord with me) was that in the time he was a player, the Raiders were one of the worst teams at developing their draft picks. Hester said that McFadden was one of the greatest RBs he saw in college, but he never became what he should've been... but that was true for most of their picks.

The Raiders were terrible for a decade, so they were always picking near the top of the draft, but still remained bad. The real question, was whether their drafting was that bad, or wether they were terrible at developing their talent. Hester seemed to suggest the latter.

Has that same issue afflicted the Chargers? I can see the appeal of drafting a player like Bosa who already has advanced technique, if you're unsure of how much better the coaching staff can make a player. So far, our raw "project" type players (Green comes to mind) have not worked out. The Watt experiment of converting a guard to a center has also been a bust. Do we have a coaching staff that's capable of developing the players properly? I think that's a real question with this organization.