1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Player safety, or over reaction

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,231
    <rant>
    We have seen an increase in the number of flags and fines levied against NFL players for hits and blocks. Two such examples include secondary players who were flagged for hitting the receiver as they caught the ball, or just after, as the receiver was turning to advance the ball up the field.

On one hand I fully understand this, we want to protect the players and ensure that they enjoy some sort of healthy life after football. The other side of my brain (yes I do have one of those no matter how little it is used) is screaming IT IS THE NFL!

Football is a game of controlled violence and opposing forces. A defender is supposed to try and dislodge the football from their opponents. To not do that is to give up the yardage and hope that the receiver does not turn it into bigger gains.

Further lets focus on the NFL who makes BANK on the aggression and impact of the game. How many compilations of hellacious hits have been made and sold by the very same NFL that now seeks the fine these hits.

How many “JACKED UP!” highlight reels have been made, sportcenter clips and tv time are gained from the acts.

As I said, I am all for safety. Don’t go to the players head, good. Don’t lead with the crown of the helmet, good (we are taught that from pee-wee on up)… Don’t hit the receiver who is catching the ball, goo…. What the frack! Awe hayl naw! Smack him and do not surrender any easy yardage!

The NFL can not, and should not attempt to take the impact and aggression out of the game. If they do, then we will have nothing better than flag football matches wher the QB’s cant be touched, and the WRs are free to do what they want.

NFL, protect the player, but you damn better start protecting the game because you are having a negative impact on that.

</rant>

2. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,075
    They taught you not to go helmet to helmet in peewees? Not me. From as early as Junior All-American FL I was taught as a defender that if you didn't come back with paint from the other teams helmet streaked on yours then you weren't playing hard enough. In retrospect it's nearly as dangerous a prospect for the tackler as it is the tackler-recipient - in terms of potential for concussion, neck damage, etc.

I take issue with some of the rules, and mostly because in an effort to eliminate the human-error involved in judgment calls, the competition committee decided for just one large sweeping brushstroke as opposed to several smaller, more finite ones.

No helmet-to-helmet on a truly defenseless receiver? I agree with that, however the definition of "defenseless" needs to be better defined. The guy's got to be in the act of completing the catch. I really don't care if it's split-second semantics, once the ball is "possessed" that man's as legal a target as any runner. But this needs to be specifically "helmet-to-helmet" not no blows the head of a defenseless receiver - a shoulder pad is not a helmet. A chest is not a helmet.

I get trying to "protect the QB" but some it's getting ridiculous. This is one that's purely money driven and not so much purely safety driven. The fact that any body part contacts a QB's helmet and it gets flagged is frivolous. The reasoning being the below the knee contact rule? I get it, but it's another one that needs to be clarified because otherwise what...? Defenders aren't suppose to be able to shoelace tackle the one guy they're supposed to be stopping first and foremost?

In short, I agree with the premise behind what they're doing (though if they were truly serious about safety they'd invest in the proprietary helmet technology, which unfortunately doesn't pay them as well as the current helmet manufacturer does to be the "official helmet of the NFL"... I'm hoping this is something that gets worked towards with Nike getting the new contract for league uniforms starting soon), as concussions, second-concussion/hit syndrome is no joke whatsoever and has some very serious repercussions that the league needs to concern themselves with now that they're on the hook for lifetime medical care for their players. That said, all this seems a little too financially driven than what it's being billed as. Protect the players... because it's going to be too expensive for our future bills not to. Protect the players... but let's structure the rules so that rather than eliminate the actions happening we ensure that when they do happen (or something close) that it extends an offensive drive and continues to ensure we have high-scoring games and shootouts which are much easier to sell to the casual fan and thus advertisers/networks.

It's something that both sides aren't fighting for hard enough - and by sides I mean the players aren't either. The players' idea of "safety" is decreasing the amount of non-competition instances they're required to be on the field and thus reducing opportunity for injury. They're just as unwilling it seems to sacrifice any of their piece of the pie for actual safety - which in a way is kind of sad.

3. boltfanatik

boltfanatik Toxic Minority Member

Ratings:
    +112
    A blatant helmet to helmet is one thing but these calls are getting ridiculous why not just make it flag football next season.. Sheesh!

4. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I was always taught to bury my face mask in their chest.

5. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,231
    Which is correct, that is not leading with the crown of the helmet which leads to neck injuries

6. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +57
    I think all the new rules around giving WR's a buffer and holding laws have pushed the nee d to put big hits on them! If you were allowed more contact, for long periods then defenders would be too close to offensive players to put massive hits on them! Instead they are able to line players up because they are to afraid to stay close to them and give away stupid weak penelties.