1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Players laud Turner’s call

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Casey Pearce
    Posted Sep 15, 2009

Chargers Head Coach Norv Turner had the perfect play call for the perfect situation Monday night, one that gave San Diego the game-winning score in the final seconds.

When the Chargers reached the Oakland five yard line with 21 seconds left in Monday’s season opener, the original thought was to put the ball in the air in attempt of the go-ahead score. Then the Raiders called time out, and Chargers Head Coach Norv Turner, who calls offensive plays for San Diego, called for something else.
    Instead of throwing the ball, Turner called for an inside handoff to Darren Sproles on a trap play that had Pro Bowl guard Kris Dielman pulling to his right.
    “We put that play in during the week, and I really liked it,” quarterback Philip Rivers said. “We knew if they lined up a certain way we could score on it.”
    The move paid off perfectly as Sproles darted inside and was barely touched as he raced into the end zone. LaDainian Tomlinson, who was on the sideline with an ankle injury, cheered vigorously and patted his head coach on the back.
    “It was an unbelievable call in the end on the trap,” Tomlinson said. “They had no idea it was coming.”
    The offensive line certainly enjoyed the play call as well.
    “To call a run with 18 seconds left, that’s a lot of confidence in us,” right tackle Jeromey Clary[​IMG] said. “I loved it.”

In a rush
    The Chargers had just one sack Monday night which came in the fourth quarter when Ogemdi Nwagbuo[​IMG] dropped JaMarcus Russell for a seven-yard loss. Linebacker Shawne Merriman[​IMG] credited Oakland’s rushing attack with slowing the pass rush.
    “Whenever you give a team a chance to run the ball, they’re going to start doing a lot of play-action and things like that,” Merriman said. “It’s always going to have you on your heels. We need to get up on them and have a faster start and get a team throwing it early.”
    The Raiders rushed for 105 yards in the first half as they controlled the clock and set the tempo. The Chargers were much better against the run in the second half as they allowed just 43 rushing yards in the final two quarters.
    “We knew they’d want to run the ball,” Turner said. “They ran the ball well early. I thought our guys, once they settled down they defended the run well. After the first ten minutes we played extremely well.”

Clutch performance
    Monday marked the 10th time in Rivers’ career that he’s led the Chargers to victory after trailing in the fourth quarter.
    “People talk about quarterbacks that handle pressure and respond and lead their team from behind, I don’t know I’d want anyone else doing it,” Turner said. “He’s done it continuously. He’s done it in some real difficult situations like tonight.”
    Rivers was 6-of-7 for 79 yards on the game-winning drive, one that covered a total of 89 yards.
    “That was an unbelievable drive,” Tomlinson said. “They’re a good defense, especially against the pass.”

Injury report
    The Chargers reported injuries to Tomlinson (ankle), guard Louis Vasquez[​IMG] (knee), center Nick Hardwick[​IMG](ankle), linebacker Antwan Applewhite[​IMG] (hamstring), defensive end Luis Castillo (arm) and defensive tackle Jamal Williams (arm).
    Turner will provide updates Tuesday, but he’s hopeful the news won’t be too harsh.
    “I think we’re going to end up being better than it looks,” Turner said.
    Tomlinson suffered his injury late in the first quarter on a shovel pass. He returned sporadically throughout the game but thought it was best for Sproles to handle the final drive.
    “It wasn’t bad enough where I couldn’t play,” Tomlinson said. “Toward the end it really got tight on me. We were in two-minute (offense). Darren is very good at that, so it was a no brainer.”

Quick Hits
    -Quentin Jammer’s first-quarter interception was his first ever in a season opener.
    -Legedu Naanee caught a career-high five passes.
    -Punter Mike Scifres had another spectacular night with a net average of 45.8 yards on five punts.
    -The Raiders were 7-of-14 on third down and converted their first five opportunities.
    -Four of the Chargers’ six defensive linemen who suited up Monday were playing in their first games as Chargers.

• Like Like x 1
  2. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
  3. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    It was a great call! Completely fooled the Raiders D! :abq2:

4. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    The hilarious thing is that if you can replay those last two running plays, you hear Golic and Steve Young saying that you should pass it to <insert Charger player here> instead of run it.

Norv ran it. :icon_rofl:

5. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Norv held a big fat middle finger up to the world

• Like Like x 1
  6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    they did that even on the raiders

Still everyone thought pass, he did a run, that's a great call no question

7. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    He's Norvellous! :wub:

8. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Does that mean potmarked? :icon_eek:

9. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Did someone say pot?

:icon_eek:

10. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    You mean the Raiders broadcast crew?

11. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    We need some B4L action in this thread.

12. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    FIRE NORV NOW!!!!!!!

Better?
    I aim to please :tup:

13. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    :lol:

14. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    ...and me, you, al davis, prince, gloria estevan, meat loaf, the Pope, the guy who bounces at the local nuddie bar, fat jesus from Hangover, nate kaeding, seal, yasir arafat etc...