1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Players primed for prime time

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Wednesday, Nov 07, 2007
    By Casey Pearce, Chargers.com

The Chargers will host a primetime game for the first time this season when the Colts come to town Sunday, and players won’t deny that the spotlight adds a little something to the game.

“Just naturally, it’s kind of hard to deny the fact that you’re on Sunday Night Football and you’re playing against the Super Bowl champs,” quarterback Philip Rivers said. “The Sunday Nights, the Monday Nights, it’s a big deal. You dream about playing in those kind of games. I know I am excited about it.”

Since the start of the 2005 season, the Chargers are 6-2 in nationally televised night games. The Bolts have won three in a row at home, including 2006 wins over the defending Super Bowl Champion Pittsburgh Steelers (23-13) and Kansas City (20-9). The Chargers have one other nationally televised night game on the schedule this year, a Christmas Eve showdown (Dec. 24) against AFC West rival Denver.

“We’ve played pretty well under the lights,” defensive tackle Jamal Williams said. “It’s something extra that helps get you going. We’re playing a great team and we have to get up for it.”

This season marks the sixth-consecutive year that the Chargers will face one or both of the previous season’s Super Bowl teams. The Bolts opened this season with a 14-3 win over last season’s Super Bowl runner-up, the Chicago Bears. The Chargers have won three straight against the previous season’s Super Bowl participants, they are 7-3 in such games since 2002, and are 3-0 when facing the defending Super Bowl champs.

Phillips, Davis return

Linebacker Shaun Phillips (groin) fully participated in Wednesday’s practice after sitting out much of last week, including Sunday’s game at Minnesota. Phillips is expected to start this week against the Colts. Wide receiver Buster Davis, who missed the last two weeks with an ankle injury, was also back on the practice field Wednesday.

Center Nick Hardwick (foot) did not practice and is expected to miss his third-consecutive game this week. Cornerback Quentin Jammer (hamstring) and linebacker Marques Harris (toe) also missed all of practice, while linebacker Shawne Merriman (knee) was limited.

The Colts had 10 players miss all of practice including starters such as linebacker Gary Brackett, offensive tackle Tony Ugoh, guard Ryan Lilja, defensive tackle Raheem Brock, tight end Dallas Clark, defensive end Dwight Freeney and cornerback Marlon Jackson. Four others, including wide receiver Marvin Harrison, were limited.

Power Blues

In addition to being under the bright lights, the Chargers will break out their alternate Powder Blue jerseys for Sunday’s contest for the second time this season. They debuted the new jerseys four weeks ago in a win over Oakland. Going back to 2005, the Chargers have won four-consecutive games in which they’ve worn Powder Blue.

Good company

Seemingly lost in Sunday’s game at Minnesota was the fact that LaDainian Tomlinson scored his 107<SUP>th</SUP> rushing touchdown of his career. His first-half touchdown against the Vikings pushed him past Hall of Famer Jim Brown into fourth place on the NFL’s all-time list. LT now sits just three rushing scores behind his boyhood idol Walter Payton for third place in NFL history.

2. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    These headlines make me cringe now. How can we reasonably expect the Chargers to be "Primed for Prime Time" when the head coach admits that they may have "misjudged" the speed of a phenomenal rookie running back who had already posted a 200yd rushing game this season?? :icon_shrug: :lol:

(And NO, B4L... that is not an open invitation to turn this thread into your favorite subject)

I'm just saying... when the team puts out its own articles hyping up the Sunday night game, I now take it as just a bunch of hot air. I know why they do it, I just hate that they are doing it right now. How about something more like: "Chargers feel Prime Time game is a 'Must Win'"?

'cause I don't think these guys are ready for prime time at all this year. :no:

3. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    I'm glad Phillips is coming back and I hope he's as close to 100% as possible. :bolt:

I just want to see this team show some life and not let the Colts walk in and kick our asses.

Again B4L this not an invitation for you to bag on anybody.

Go Chargers!!! :abq2::bolt::abq1:

• Like Like x 1
  4. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

Totally agree,

When is this team going to stand up and say

"what do I have to do to make our team better?"

from top to bottom I don't hear anyone saying its on them

just a bunch of blame game meaningless comments

:tdown:

5. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
    I kinda wish we weren't on Prime time... this could be a nightmare.... Colts are coming to play after losing to Pats, and are the SB Champs....

6. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Norv Sucks!!!!!

And No, B4L... this is not an open invitation to turn this thread into another Norv basher.

7. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Hmmmmm....I know what he's talking about, but there may be undelying tones of anger/sarcasm here.

8. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    I think last week's showing is a true depiction of what this team really is right now. Just a bunch of young talented guys who have not committed themselves to battling for 60 minutes. I think last year things just fell into place at the right times and they were able to catch teams off guard. But we saw what they were really made of in the playoff game. They just aren't tough enough to handle the teams who want to fight. There are a select few who are willing to slug it out, but too many of them are just plain SOFT.

I believe this is a "bottom up" problem... not the other way around.

9. PowderLove

Ratings:
    +494
    The first way to change this is to start getting harda$$ players who want to put the hurt on their opponents. AJ needs to draft thugs for the trenches, guys who want to crush. Someone with a 70's football attitude.

10. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    Agree. My confidence in this team is very low right now.

11. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Not sure about "Thugs"... but yeah... more dudes with the attitude of Merriman, LoNeal, Jamal, Dielman, etc. These guys wanna hurt people when they play. They wanna go toe to toe... every down.

12. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    The Patriots game wasn't primetime? :icon_shrug: :icon_huh:

13. PowderLove

Ratings:
    +494
    We didn't host that game.

14. pgreenbe305

pgreenbe305 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +22
    I love the Chargers, and was/ am excited about this season, but after losing a few times I started to get worried. Ironically, even after the UNBELIEVABLE, GREAT, UNIQUE win streak we had, I still didn't think we were that good, and I think last week's Vikings game showed just that.

LT said it best- something along the lines of "we're not an elite team." Unfortunately, they're not, and it sucks, but the only way to get there is to work hard, and I hope they come prepared for Prime Time because if not, it's going to be a LONG SUNDAY!

That is all...

15. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    The last time I was this down on the team, they went into Denver and won 41-3. Hopefully, they will bounce back like that. Obviously, they aren't going to beat the Colts by 38, but I think they can win this game. The Bolts have shown they can play well. They just havent' shown that they can do it consistently.

16. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,584
    The Colts are a precision team. They don't react well if that precision gets disrupted. Look what the Pats did to them in the last 10 minutes on Sunday. They jolted the colts out of their comfort zone and they didn't know how to react. That's what our bolts need to do. :bolt:

17. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    But I think that is the problem with the Chargers as well. If everything goes according to plan and Rivers has enough time to cook a turkey with all the trimmings while sitting in the pocket, they excel. If anything disrupts that, they get that "deer in the headlights" look on their faces and start playing like my sons Jr. High School team.

I just have no idea what to make of them anymore.

18. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I don't like our chances but I'm hoping.
    With Castillo, Jammer and Cesaire out... that's not exactly a shot of confidence either. Though I'm glad to hear that Phillips and Davis will be back!!!

Our Chargers have their backs up against the wall right now and we'll see how they respond!!! I want to see a team enter the field that's ready to kick someone in the teeth!!!
    I WANT FURY BUT FOCUS TOO!!!!
    PLAY THIS FREAKIN' GAME LIKE IT'S THEIR LAST GASP OF PLAYOFF HOPE!!!!

I want to see a fuking fire in their eye when they take the field!!
    I ALSO WHAT TO SEE "THE BURNER" ON THE FIELD!!!!

BTW... Some posters don't need be so freakin' sensitive about our coaching.

19. Buttmunch

Buttmunch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    T-R-A-P G-A-M-E

If last Sunday's game really was just a fart in a whirlwind, then I'm hoping we surprise the Colts. As someone else mentioned, their offense is all about timing and precision. Look at what Merriman pretty much did to Peyton all by himself the last time we gave them their first loss AT Indy? All the media and probably the colt players could think about was the question looming over that team as to whether they'd go undefeated. No one around there thought they could lose to the Chargers.

20. PowderLove

Ratings:
    +494
    Let's be the bad/average/mediocre team that beats the good team this time around!!!! lololllolol

21. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I don't want to see ***** football. No soft off coverage on defense. No dropping Merriman into coverage. No hiding the playbook. No predictable series after predictable series. Toss conservatism in the FAH KING toilet.

Go out and kick *** and take names. Be aggressive. Hit someone hard ( um.... D-Flo, I mean do it legal, you dumb ****).

Unleash the hounds. Press man coverage, and get in Manning's face. Knock him around, hurry him, and put him on the ground.

Open that playbook, Norv. You've got a chest full of toys. Use them ......

I wanna see emotion, on the team AND the coach. Energy. Fire. Passion. Go *** **** these bastages and steal their women. Kick 'em in the balls and stomp on their throats. (but don't get caught ... that mean YOU, D-Flo!)

Win the ****ing game.

22. PowderLove

Ratings:
    +494
    YEARGH!!
    [​IMG]

23. PowderLove

Ratings:
    +494
    We're gonna go to Jacksonville, and Kansas City!
    Then we'll go to Tennessee, and we'll go to Oakland!!!!
    We're going to New England, AND THEN WE'RE GOING TO THE SUPER BOWL, AND WE'RE GONNA WIN A LOMBARDI!!!!!!
    YEEEEARCH!!!!!!!!