1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Players you will be watching at the COMBINE

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by matilack, Feb 18, 2013.

1. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,776
    Obviously you don't want to place much importance on the combine, but there are a few players I can't decide on that will sway me one way or the other based on a few numbers.

OT Lane Johnson - He has all the measurables, I love how he works up field in run blocking an he may just be the best fit for our new scheme. But if I'm being honest I think he looks a little lanky and I have some concern about his ability to handle a bull rush. I'm going to be interested in his bench press and how he is actually built. (I like big butts and I cannot lie!)

CB Xavier Rhodes - At an estimated 6'1 215 I'm definitely concerned about his size and longevity as a CB. Usually players get bigger in the NFL, and if this guy gets any bigger he's going to slow down and you can't have slow CBs...I've had enough of that ****. But if he can run a 40 in under 4.5 I think he may just get my attention, and some consideration if that worst case scenario I mentioned in the other thread arises.

CB Jamar Taylor - I think this kid is going to be an awesome cover CB in the league, but he plays A LOT of zone in college. I want to see him in 1 on 1 drills run with guys like Patterson an Allen, and how he matches up physically. He is my favorite for our 2nd round pick right now.

OLB/DE Alex Okafor - Has some good tape, shows a lot of versatility, looks slippery almost like Shaun Phillips....but strikes me as a mediocre athlete. If he benches 17 reps and runs around 4.75 and is middle of the pack in quickness drills I won't be shocked by it.

TE Travis Kelce - God damn I love watching this kid play, he's obviously got good strait line speed, and he's a better than average blocker, and he plays aggressively both with the ball in the air and after the catch. If he comes into the combine and shows off that speed and size he might just start earning himself some Gronk comparisons.

WR Aaron Dobson - Gotta throw a WR in here just for sake of evenness. Dobson is a 1st round route runner with 1st round ball skills who just magically finds ways to catch the ball, not unlike Vincent Brown. You would think at 6'3 around 200lbs he'd be a good athlete, but he's really not that fast or that quick with the ball in his hands and it makes him probably a 3rd round pick IMHO. I'll be watching his 40 time, if he runs under a 4.5 I will be astonished, he may be one of those sneaky GREAT WRs whos in the league for the next 10 years. And a solid replacement for Meachem, Royal, or Floyd in the future.

2. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    Menelik Watson- Just like Johnson this is a big athletic dude, Former Basketball and soccer player, despite him doing a solid job at FSU he's still a bit raw and learning the position. Like Johnson, when a player holds his own against top competition while still just learning the position shows me the upside and potential that player can reach.

Dion Jordan- Only player in the 1st round not named Fisher, Jockel, Johnson, or Warmack that I want. He is still recovering from his injury so he'll do every drill except the bench. Athletic as all get out, can and has played all over the defensive side of the ball. Imagine him and Ingram lining up all over in different packages coming at you.

As far as WR's there are no AJ Greens, Julio Jones, Calvin Johnson type wr's
    But there can be some Greg Jennings, Reggie Wayne, Miles Austin type guys and I would still like to see us get one, Like if Robert Woods happened to fall to the 3rd and we had our OT,or OG and a OLB or CB at that point I would love to see us get a piece of what is suppose to be a very deep wr class

3. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    As I've mentioned before I'll be paying closer attention to the offensive side more than the defensive side only because I suspect thats where our draft will side more heavily on. If the season started tomorrow I'd feel a lot more comfortable going in with the players we have on defense where as our offense was the thing holding us back.

4. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    Texas A&M LT Luke Joeckel performed 27 bench reps of 225 pounds at the Combine.
    Central Michigan's Eric Fisher, who is beginning to push Joeckel for the top spot among draft-eligible left tackles, did the same number of reps. It's a strong total for players who both possess long arms, which makes it more difficult to perform lots of repeated bench-press reps. These two are neck and neck.

5. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
  6. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    Michael Gehlken@UTgehlken
    Lane Johnson 28 reps on 225-pound bench press. Should kill the 40 tomorrow, FWIW. Former OU tackle an option for Chargers at pick 11.

7. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +636
    Terron Armstead .. Wowzers

So many good offensive linemen, we will have a good group to select from, hopefully we pick the right ones out.

Watching these TE's close, my boys Jake Stoneburner and Jordan Reed are gonna rise.

8. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,776
    Eifert is having a very nice day, may have just turned into a 1st round pick.

9. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    Maybe its just the SD part in me but I would love to have Gavin Escobar if he would somehow fall to the 3rd or 4th

10. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,079
    More eye-catching when it came to Terron Armstead is his explosion off the line. The guy posted a 1.64 second 10-yard split on his 40 time - to put it in context Clay Matthews' 1.49 second 10-yard split is largely what led to him being drafted in the 1st round. Now I'm not saying that Armstead is a 1st round pick (yet... it honestly wouldn't shock me to see him sneak into the back end), but what I am saying is this is a guy whose numbers indicate that as long as his technique is crisp, he shouldn't be getting worked by speed rushers in the least.

11. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +636
    I understand all this, but the guy is a track star. He chose Arkansas-Pine Bluff over some big schools because the coach would let him play Football & Track. So the 40 yard dash was going to be his from the get-go. Not denying his talent, because he has some incredible feet and is really light on them. But, Lane Johnson wasn't far off from him.

I liked Jonathan Cooper's feet today. Thought they were quite flawless, and even when he went under center as well.

12. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings:
    +276
    Not that I have any particular love for him, or would even necessarily advocate picking him up, but I am very intrigued to see what Tyrann Mathieu looks like at the combine.

In general, I love seeing the guys with question marks against them come out and perform, I love a good redemption / overcoming the odds story. lol

13. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,776
    Someone who had terrible feet today, Chance Warmack.

The 40 doesn't count, I'm talking about the cement bricks on his feet in the pass blocking drills. I think we can rule out the Larry Allen OT conversion ability.

14. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,079
    I'm just putting the drill in context. And yes, Lane Johnson should be above Armstead on any reasonable scout's big board. I'd certainly give Armstead strong consideration over the likes of Justin Pugh, DJ Fluker, Kyle Long, and O'Day Aboushi, particularly if we're talking guys capable of playing LT. I've got him as 4a to Menelik Watson's 4b right now. Watson has arguably a higher ceiling, but he's also considerably more raw.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    In fairness to Chance they're saying he pulled his quad during the 40

16. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +294
    So seeing Kyle Long listed as a G prospect again, I guess he projects better at G than RT? What was his arm length? It looks to me like he hasnt got the desireable long arms you would want on a T. I guess I should jus fire up NFL.com and find out the offical #s.

17. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,776
    He looked completely incapable of being an OT during the Senior Bowl. He's a much better G prospect.

18. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +294
    Fine by me I would take a look at him for us at G too.

19. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    We do need a guard, I'd take him in the 2nd or 3rd

20. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,776
    Dion Jordan is a BEAST, just a freakish athlete, I would be surprised if he got past the Raiders after what I saw today.

And for the 100th time this offseason I'll say it...its a shame we won so many meaningless games.

21. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Could of been worse. We should have beat the Ravens and Denver. Dont think the Raiders will pick Jordan though.

22. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +354
    Xavier Rhodes posted (2) 4.41 40's today. I think the official was 4.43.

23. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,776
    Better than I expected. I could see this guy going anywhere from 13 to 40, but I think he just secured a 1st round grade.

24. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +354
    Ya with Milliner running a 4.31, I imagine he won't make it past Detroit, unless something crazy happens. But at 6'2" and 200+lbs, now throw in 4.4 speed...should be a first round grade now.

25. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,079
    It'll be interesting to see. They have clear need - they also have (for all the talk that the Chiefs' GM gets for his having a "BPA" philosophy) a GM came from the same staff (Ted Thompson's) that preaches BPA. I won't be shocked by Sharif Floyd to be honest. Or they could *gag* still take Star since it sounds like what flagged as a "heart condition" was really a sodium imbalance - the same thing happened to Frank Alexander from Oklahoma in last year's class and combine.

26. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,776
    They could use Milliner too.

Personally if I were a Raiders fan, Werner would be #1 priority, Jordan #2, Milliner #3. Their DT situation isn't bad as it stands, but their pass rush is PITIFUL.