1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Playoff loss leaves Manning almost speechless

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerRay, Jan 4, 2009.

1. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/...-almost-speechless?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=5

SAN DIEGO - He is America's leading corporate spokesman, and the NFL's reigning MVP. Peyton Manning is as glib as he is gallant, but quite suddenly he had run out of things to say.

How did his greatest season — arguably greatest, anyway — come to such an abrupt end? How did the 12-4 Colts — who got through four-plus quarters without a turnover — manage to lose to the underachieving 8-8 San Diego Chargers? What happened to the nine-game winning streak? Was this Tony Dungy's final game?

Manning had no answers, nor did he have anything to sell. Rather, what struck you was his peculiar look, somewhere between merely glum and completely stunned. But, hey, what would you expect? Friday they tell you you're the MVP. Saturday you're done.

"Obviously the Chargers did a good job," he said. "They're an excellent team."

Someone asked him about the overtime coin toss.

"Obviously, you want to win the toss so we can go and score," he mumbled.

Obviously, he had no answers. None at all.

In fact, there were a few good reasons that the Chargers beat Colts 23-17 in overtime at Qualcomm Stadium on Saturday night. First, there was Mike Scifres, who pinned the Colts inside their 20-yard-line on each of his six punts. Then, perhaps the cruelest irony of all, was Dungy's defense being called for three penalties in the final drive of what may be the former defensive back's final game as the Indianapolis coach. But the real difference in this game, what Manning lacked — obviously! — was a guy like Darren Sproles.

Sproles had 328 all-purpose yards, the third-most in an NFL playoff game. Unlike Manning, or the guy he replaced, LaDainian Tomlinson, Sproles is not the corporate spokesman-type. He's not fluent or practiced in the interview room. He is charitably listed at 5-6 and had to overcome a stutter. Still, everyone wanted to hear what he had to say, particularly about that last play, his 22-yard dash for the game-winning touchdown. Everybody wanted to know how he saw it.

"When I got the handoff, I saw the end slant in," he said. "Once I saw that, I saw the green grass on the outside."

He saw his opening, his opportunity. "I just went in for the score."

In a larger sense, though, he had seen this moment coming for quite a while, even when others could not. Personnel directors might like running backs with low centers of gravity, but Sproles was just too puny to be much more than a special-teams player. He was a fourth-round pick — pretty impressive for a guy who goes about 180 pounds — but not the kind of guy to anchor an offense.

"All I needed was a chance to do it," he said. "I always knew I could do it."

As it happened, his break was Tomlinson's misfortune. Tomlinson took the first handoff of the game, ran 13 yards, and that was pretty much it for him. He carried four more times for 12 yards before calling it a day. His injury was described as a "strained groin," though not by Tomlinson himself.

"It's a medical issue and that's all I'll say about it. I'm not a doctor and I'm not going to sit up here and act like I am one."

(For the record, Tomlinson who is not a doctor, has no problem shilling for a local hospital).

Tomlinson was asked if the injury he wouldn't specify affected his "burst" or his "cut."

"I can't really tell if it's the burst or the cutting," he said.

OK. Was he told he should have surgery?

"I can't answer that now."

In other words, the playoffs are here, and once again Tomlinson is not. Maybe this is a new Chargers tradition. Perhaps, if the bookmakers knew L.T. would sit most of the game, they'd have made San Diego the favorite. Whatever the case, the day belonged to the undersized understudy, Sproles.

It's worth mentioning that he fumbled in the third quarter. On his way to what might have been another touchdown run, cornerback Tim Jennings stripped the ball from his possession and the Colts recovered.

"I felt really hurt," said Sproles.

It wasn't a physical kind of hurt. But it remained with him going into the overtime. He resolved there was only one way to make up for that fumble. "I wanted that touchdown bad," he said.

Obviously.

2. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I feel bad for LT, all he want's is that Lombardi and for the second year in a row he can't play. :bolt:

3. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192

It all works out. He'll take the brunt of the criticism from the pundits, and paranoid fans, and the rest of the team can continue to concentrate on winning.

4. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Calling LT out on this one is just plain assed stupid. :bolt:

5. Showmeyourbolt

Ratings:
    +192

It is already happening though. I don't know what people expect. He has gotten unfortunate injuries two years in a row:icon_shrug: It's quite obvious that it's better to keep him on the sidelines in those situations, when you consider who the backups are. It seems to me that people are letting the media's portrayal of LT mold their opinion of his actions, just like the media tried to do with Rivers.

6. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I know some folks were before this game and I was hoping Norv was pull a ruse. As it turns out LT is injured far worse than originally reported. I'd still love to see LT get a ring with this team. :bolt: :tup:

7. Showmeyourbolt

Ratings:
    +192

You and me both brother. Jamal the Wall and LT have been on this team for quite some time. Both have put their bodies on the line for years and this would be a great time for it to all come together.

8. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +503
    I have alot of respect for Manning as a player. No doubt about it he is a smart F'er. But his family make me wanna puke.

FU Archie!!.

FU Eli!!.

We're comin to get u. :icon_twisted:

9. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    It's kind of ironic, but I think LT's subpar performance this season will kind of help shield him from some criticism since people just don't expect as much from him as they did when he was weapon #1 for us.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. LT has given everything to this team and is a Charger legend in his own time. He deserves all of our respect, and most of all he deserves a ring! That goes for Jamal too, but he's not getting as much criticism so he's usually left out of conversations like this.

10. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Wow. Peyton got his yards, albeit a good portion due to the D being caught completely asleep, & we STILL beat these guys.

I'm sorry that LT is injured again here at playoff time. Still, on the field or not, LT will be as big a part of a championship as anyone on the team.

Let's go get it. :tup:

11. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    And I'll bet dollars to donuts that the ones that are carping the loudest about LT not playing through a groin tear have never actually experienced one. I tore a groin muscle playing hockey in college about 15 years ago and let me tell you it hurts like a mother to do just about anything -- let alone play football.

LT has had multiple badly timed injuries the last two years, and for a running back any problem having to do with his legs will really affect his performance adversely. This should be obvious to anyone with even a modicum of intelligence.

As far as I'm concerned until there is concrete evidence that he is faking or exaggerating an injury, he has the benefit of my doubt...period.

12. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    WE OWN THE PONIES!!! :bolt:

13. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    A-freaking-MEN

I wore my LT jersey yesterday in support - I cannot even imagine the pain he was in when he played in the first quarter. He's no softy.

and Jamal - Jamal "Game Over" Williams is a freaking beast! :tup:

14. NW Bolt Babe

NW Bolt Babe RIP Jr.

Ratings:
    +94
    That was a thoroughly nasty article regarding LT. Why was it necessary for the writer to impugn a player who's work ethic is far above the average athlete? He's suffering from a tremendous injury through no fault of his own. He stepped out on the field in what was surely agonizing pain. What more does the idiot want of LT? It wasn't like he was injured via shooting himself in a night club. Or can't play because he's in prison for running an illegal dog fighting ring.

No, he injured himself giving his all last week.

I despise sports writers who do this. More than likely, they were not good enough to cut it athletically at any time in their lives and resent those who are. LT is a not only a great athlete, he is a great person. I begrude him nothing. He's worked hard to get where he is and deserve the accolaides and all the paychecks his success brings.

The writer is plainly a jerk.

• Like Like x 2
  15. NW Bolt Babe

NW Bolt Babe RIP Jr.

Ratings:
    +94
    Though I was not at the game, I too wore my LT jersey all day as went about my business.

However, I will admit, when the game got dicey, I switched to Jamal's since that's the one I've been wearing during their last four wins. Superstition is hard to over come. No disloyalty to LT intended.

Damn straight, LT is no softy. Slimey, sour grapes sports writers, that's another story.

16. Vinny ECB

Vinny ECB BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +8
    When the Bolt hating reporters can't go out & find something intersting to write about, they'll hover over our injuries until they get writer's cramp.

I watched the game w/ a Colts fan (a friend) with my Rivers jersey on. Wore my LT jersey today. I didn't want to think about LT's injury instead however he contributes is fine w/ me!

He earned my respect a long time ago. When the Bolts bring home the SB trophy in a few weeks, hopefully they'll talk about that!

17. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    I have to admit I was wearing one of my Brees jerseys, as it fits me the best, but took it off after they went up 17-14, switched to last years "It's a whole new season" shirt with our logo in the middle.

I really wish I had wore that shirt to the bucs game seen how I was sitting front row behind Chargers, that shirt actually had significant meaning a year late. One of my friends saw me wearing that shirt the day we beat denver, and asked me if I just got it that day lol.

18. NW Bolt Babe

NW Bolt Babe RIP Jr.

Ratings:
    +94
    Ah! I'm not the only superstitious fan!!! Thanks for doing your part! Have you ever seen the skit Mad TV did on superstitious fans? It's hysterical and I often laugh at myself because of it. It's a few years old, so I can't find it. They change jerseys and eat certain foods, feeling they are responsible for the success of their team. :icon_rofl:

I haven't seen the shirt your are speaking of. Darn it! I'm so far out of the loop up here!! No NFL in Oregon, no MLB, it's a wilderness up here. It is a whole new season at this point, isn't it? :yes:

:lol::lol:

19. montanabolthead

montanabolthead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +30

Couldn't agree more. A lot of people are ready to bury LT, when for years, LT, Jamal and Gates were our only weapons. These guys literally carried the Bolts. I say lay off LT and see what happens in the off season. As for Gates, he'll be back, ready to go. Jamal, who knows. He's hanging in there, but I don't know if he's got another season left in him. I hope he does.

20. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    I agree...let LT have another season to prove he can recover from all the injuries that past two seasons.

I think Jamal has at least one more good year left in him...he has been a monster the second half of the season. Jamal "Game Over" Williams is the MAN!:tup:

21. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Anyone hear Deion last night on the NFL Network? He said, "LT was hurt, but after I criticized him last year, he had to play against the Colts."

What a self-absorbed retard.

22. auctoritas

auctoritas BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +40
    This from one of the biggest contact avoiding *****s ever to play the game...what a ****ing joke.

23. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Have you tried to watch his reality show "Prime Time Love" ?

I saw one episode and stopped. Lame.

24. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    LT has not suffered from a single career threatening injury. The knee got better with time, so did the toe. Even if they have to reattach a tendon to fix the groin, he will be ready for training camp-where he doesn't do much but conditioning, walk and jog thrus and classroom work. Considering that he flashed his usual potential when he got healthy toward the end of this season, I expect that defensders will be seeing a lot of the back of his jersey next season.

25. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    But it made his rap career look like a resounding success :lol:

26. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,807
    hahaha you're definitely not the only superstitious fan!

i am constantly pacing and cannot sit on the sofa unless the defense is on the field - i have certain gameday clothing and a full on morning routine - if mr. sydalish is watching the game and they start to play poorly he now goes and does something else - so far that strategy has worked hehehe

i am ridiculous :lol:

27. NW Bolt Babe

NW Bolt Babe RIP Jr.

Ratings:
    +94
    One year, I believe 2006, everytime I sat with my husband and son in the same room to watch the game, the Chargers did badly. One Sunday I was doing laundry as a distraction, and I noticed everytime I left the room, the game improved. So....I spent the rest of the season in the family room, and we shouted back and forth. Hahahaha!!

I understand Mr. Sydalish. There have been those Charger seasons, where I would do the same. The intensity, was a little too intense for me! :yes:

My best friend's husband is a Raider fan. I won't go into detail, but she's spent several years, finding something else to do. I'm tossed up between simpathy and my Raider hate.

Hahahahaa!!

28. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,807
    See - Mr. Sydalish finds something else to do, b/c i send him away for good luck :lol: