1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Playoffs or Bust Martys Job ?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by RMANCIL, Jul 6, 2006.

1. RMANCIL

RMANCIL New Member

Ratings:
    +223
    Question

I have read in several articles that Schottenheimer must make the playoffs this season to keep his job , what do you guys think.. is that your feelings?

What if Rivers stinks it up, is it on Marty?

What if Oben can't go and McNeil isn't ready?

Is A.J. ok no matter what?

• Like Like x 1
  2. vachargerfan

vachargerfan New Member

Ratings:
    +134
    I think AJ will be fine for this year. If Rivers stinks it up, then AJ will be on the hot seat. Marty is right now. With the talent on this team, if he doesn't take us to the play offs, he will be done here. Especially if we lose a good amount of close games

3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,232
    I think AJ's job might be joined at the hip with Marty's.

4. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    There's an old NFL adage that a GM gets one coach. Marty's not AJ's coach. I say that if we don't make the playoffs Marty's gone and AJ get his one coach to make it work.

5. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,232
    I am not sure AJ can divorse himself from the soap opera he had part in creating so easily. Just my gut feeling.

6. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851
    If Rivers performs well enough for his first full year of starting, but the Bolts miss the playoffs, then Marty is gone. To me, having a year like Brees' 2005 season, or even the 2002 season would be well enough for Rivers' first year starting.

If Rivers performs poorly all on his own (i.e. Drew's 2003 year), by making boneheaded mistakes, then AJ just may take a lot of the heat as it was AJ's decision to play hardball with Drew and not pay enough guaranteed money up front to keep him.

This is especially true if Drew does well in New Orleans (like 80% what he did the past few years in San Diego).

7. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Not just playoffs but deep into the playoffs IMO. I think AJ is safe no matter what for the time being.

8. Buttmunch

Buttmunch New Member

Ratings:
    +108
    Yep, don't be surprised if AJ stays and Marty goes. EVEN if Marty does all he can with the team, but Rivers still falters badly, I think Marty will be the one that gets canned. Nevermind the fact that PR is AJ's boy.

9. CrmWestwood

CrmWestwood BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +43
    My sentiments exactly, A.J. put together a winning team (best in the NFL IMO), the coach has to win with it!

10. RMANCIL

RMANCIL New Member

Ratings:
    +223

Wow , you think Rivers should lead them deep in his first season under center ? What about the pass protection ? Oben maybe done and McNeil while looking good in mini camp is a question mark for sure and we all know that Jordan can't hold up in pass protection.

No passes no matter what ?

11. Buttmunch

Buttmunch New Member

Ratings:
    +108
    Not with un unproven NFL QB at the helm.

12. CrmWestwood

CrmWestwood BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +43
    I think McNeill would be better than Oben anyways, but I'm just a fanatical wacko so...who knows, I think that we'll make a playoff run, don't know about deep though...may take a year or two for a SB!

13. RMANCIL

RMANCIL New Member

Ratings:
    +223
    I have asked this question on a few different boards and I have been amazed at just how many posters think this team should win the Super Bowl and that the playoffs is absolutely a given.

All of this with 3 key positions very green ,QB ,Nickle CB and most likely LOT.

Rivers with next to nothing in playing time has the fans sold , time will tell.

14. CrmWestwood

CrmWestwood BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +43
    How many teams in the nfl don't have atleast a few "green positions", it's just a matter of how good the green is...SB in 07'!!!!

15. RMANCIL

RMANCIL New Member

Ratings:
    +223
    Your right why worry ,QB,LOT and CB no sweat! :lol:

16. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,232
    Well, lets not fret over it until we have a few TCs to judge things on. I am not expecting much from Cro. Everyone know my position, that being a one start guy who spent the last season of college on the DL is not a first round choice IMO. AJ pulled the trigger, who know maybe he got another Merriman for us. I will remain sceptical for now.

Lets see what happens in TC and approach this again in that light.

17. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    I had mentioned in the ASYLUM that if Marty goes 8-8, he still has a job.

With a stadium in the balance, changing coaches is not good. We had a merry-go-round of coaches after Coryell and never recovered until Bobby Ross and then we ate **** for almost a decade until Marty.

18. RMANCIL

RMANCIL New Member

Ratings:
    +223
    One thing you get that most don't is consistency. Build a team that fits with the coaching style.

19. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    cut to the chase.... he's gone regardless.... :icon_beerbang:

20. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,232
    You think so? I thought his contract ran through next season...

21. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    every GM wants his own coach to match his vision with talent acquisition... contracts are meant to be bought out... :icon_eek:

22. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,232
    That is true, I just dont like Philips as a HC. I dont see how he would be an improvement over MS.

Dont get me wrong, I like Philips, he just doesnt strike me as the best candidate fro HC.

23. RMANCIL

RMANCIL New Member

Ratings:
    +223
    Smith has set the table for a change , Phillips is his first choice imop.

• Like Like x 1
  24. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    I didn't say I was in favor of Wade.... sooner or latter Cam will be offered a HC job... this year could be his audition...

• Like Like x 1
  25. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,232
    Agreed, but he needs to add some less safe plays to his play book IMO.

26. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    I'm not sure "safe" is the adjective... perhaps call a "smart" game may be a better play... especially in clock management, where IMO Marty SUXX....

27. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,232
    Yup, better clock management, but also take a risk every now and again. I dont think it is all on Drew that we had no deep threat, I think that in large Cam's game plan is for the safe game. Thats good to a point IMO.

28. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    Cam throws an occasional curve ball.... passes to the QB from the RB... not often, just a taste.... no, he needs to "out-think" the opposition... which is where the Belichecks consistently win games... the "gameday general" concept...

29. CrmWestwood

CrmWestwood BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +43
    I couldn't disagree more, he is waaaaaaaaay too conservative for such a dynamic offense...perhaps it was just lack of trust in Brees, hopefully he'll dig deeper into the playbook this season and get L.T. the ball in space instead of running him into walls!!!:icon_mrgreen:

30. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,232
    Your going to be very dispaointed in PR, if you feel that the offense was conservitive because of DB. IMO.