1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Plummer critical of Shanahan

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    January 30, 2009
    Posted by ESPN.com's Bill Williamson

Former Denver Broncos quarterback Jake Plummer put an exclamation point on the team's firing of longtime coach Mike Shanahan.

Plummer said the firing was "past due" in a story in the Denver Post.

Plummer's stance is not surprising. He and Shanahan had a falling out when Plummer was benched in 2006 with five games remaining in the season in favor of then-rookie Jay Cutler. Many in Denver believe that Shanahan handled the Plummer situation poorly when Cutler was drafted with the team coming off a 13-3 season.

Shanahan and Plummer often had animated on-field discussions when Plummer was the starter.

Plummer abruptly retired after 2006 partly because of the bad taste in his mouth left by his final NFL season.

In the Denver Post story, Plummer said Shanahan became more interested in the team's statistical rankings than winning games and he questioned Shanahan's ability to motivate.

These are opinions that others have shared privately. Yet Plummer, two years removed from the game, clearly feels like he has nothing to lose by expressing his opinion his former coach.

2. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
  3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Dont care :lol:

4. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I never really thought much of Shanahan.
    I mean he was given a Lamborghini of a team and he took it the full distance BUT I credit Elway more for that. Shanahan just didn't stop it from happening. Regardless Shanahan gets the credit and it's on his resume.

Understandably, after those two seasons, they're going to go through a rebuilding stage. I think Grese is a great QB but he's not Elway. Plumer is good but inconsistent. Cutler has potential but is full of himself.

5. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    John Elway coached that team for wins in two Super Bowls, I'm sure his dad helped him.

6. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I don't know about his dad helping but I'll agree with the first part of this sentence.

7. fan4ever

fan4ever BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    :icon_rofl:Who cares. denver blows,crybaby cutler sucks and they will be swirling in the toilet with the raiders.:icon_rofl:

8. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I wouldn't want Shanarat over Norv, I think he sucks as a coach. He may be a good person and all but hell no, I wouldn't want him in Dego.

9. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Can't stand Shanarat, but Plummer's too dumb to criticize anyone.

BTW - phuck Denver. :flag:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    First stone has been thrown. Will there be more??

If not, Plummer will just come off as bitter, although he was treated like crap when they drafted Cutler.

11. montanabolthead

montanabolthead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +30
    Shanarat 's success came because of Elway, T.Davis, McCafferry, etc. After these guys left/retired, what has he done? So much for "the great genius" the talking heads proclaim he is. If he's a genius (look at his personnel moves Javon Walker, Clarett, etc), look at their playoff record. Plummer was an O.K. QB who, given the right team would have played good solid football. Maybe Plummer couldn't compete with Shanarat's ego.

12. sickswonnyne

sickswonnyne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79
    Elway didn't win 'til Terrell Davis was there. He should get as much credit in my opinion

• Like Like x 1
  13. BLITZED56

BLITZED56 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +50

Great point, I was thinking the same thing. Also, don't forget that Davis was the MVP of one of their two Super Bowls.

Davis was a great back, IMO, had he played 2-3 more years at that level he would be in the HOF.

14. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Of course. There are several players who deserve the credit as well. But I think Elway's experience and leadership played a big part in that team's success.

15. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Shhhhhhh, I have him believing Elway coached the team.