1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Podcast Debate: Top 5 Best QBs in Charger History

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, Aug 5, 2011.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,594
    Wanted to post something here for all those who didn't listen to the show last night (Shame on you!)

After Canepa wrote the Rivers is better then Fouts article, I asked everyone if they would rank the top 5 QBs in Charger history, who would they put where and why?

2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,173
    Rivers - I think in the end he will be the Gold Standard for Chargers QBs
    Fouts - Dude! It's Dan Fricken Fouts! HMIFC
    Humphries - He took us there, he set the bar for toughness that only Rivers has passed. He was a gutsy field general who was always attacking the defense.
    Unitas - He made his name with the Colts, but probably had a lot to do with what Fouts became.
    Dunno - need coffee...

3. Lightning_Dynasty

Lightning_Dynasty Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +310
    Rivers: I have to have faith that he's better than Fouts, because he needs to become to QB who finally gets the Bolts their fist ring.
    Fouts: All I've ever seen of Fouts are highlight videos on Youtube. I've read his stats, and I've heard what Charger fans say. He was long before my lifetime, so I never got to see him play,unlike Rivers.
    Humphries: I was two when he lead the Chargers to the Superbowl under him, not even old enough to know what football was, so I figure he kind of has to be ranked here by default.
    Brees: Does he count? Brees was good when he was here. His legacy is definitely that of a Saint, but I figured I cheat a little because I love the guy so much.
    Hadl: No one really deserves to occupy this fifth spot, but I guess John Hadl has a little more right to it than anyone else. He had a long tenure here at QB, he got a lot of honors in the AFL, a couple pro-bowl selections, so I assume he was good. He left the Chargers 20 years before I was born, so...yeah.

My list sucks, but I'm probably a bit too young to make a list like this. I didn't watch Pro Football till I was 9, and the only reason I started watching then was because my hero, LT, was drafted.
    So I'm not really qualified to make a list like this. Just thought it be fun to give it a shot.

Leave the actual opinions for the older members who have seen more than 3 QBs play for this team (that is if Flutie even counts.)

4. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Unitas was here for 1 year .. not sure he should really even be in the conversation..

To me, the top 3 in no particular order are Hadl, Fouts, Rivers .. Some consideration for Humphries because he did lead us to the Superbowl .. But I don't think he is even close these 3 as far as a passer.

5. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +455
    Rivers - Statistically the best Chargers QB ever (QB Rating). Playing on torn ACL, driving a Ford F-350 into camp, and giving Cutler **** elevates him to the top of the heap.
    Fouts - The funnest QB to watch play ever. Changed the game. Funny in The Waterboy.
    Stan the Man - Superbowl appearance! Played QB with a broken arm in a cast (How many million dollar douche bags do we have sitting on the bench for teams with a bruise or soreness? Dude played with a cast!)
    Brees - 5' nothing (Anyone who believes Brees is 6' as listed is crazy), limited physical abilities, doesnt care, plays so far above his skills its ridiculous, the mole is the center of his power, burn it off and it goes away!
    Hadl - Threw pretty balls to Lance Alworth, enough said.
    (Unitas, but he was pretty much on the tail end of his career when he was here)

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,594
    Brees - had some great years and really sparked the chargers renissance
    Humphries - childhood favorite, was a pleasure to watch him play, to enjoy what he was doing and to bomb it to Martin
    Hadl - only Charger QB to win a title, nuff said
    Rivers - an absolute pleasure to watch
    Fouts - still the man for at least the next 8 years. After that we will see

7. San Diego Football Fan

San Diego Football Fan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    1a. Fouts - Made history under Coryell's offense.
    1b. Rivers - Puts up ridiculous numbers with a beat up WR depth
    3. Hadl - Our leading passer in the AFL.
    4. Humphries - Led us to our only Super Bowl appearance.
    5. Roth - Led us to our only championship win. (Only QB to lead a team to both AFL & NFL championships)

8. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,863
    Brees needs to at least be ahead of "Dunno". And no, I'm not basing this off his New Orleans career.

9. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,863
    is this in order of 5-4-3-2-1? Otherwise it makes no sense to me.

10. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627
    In the end, yes. But right now, a 5 year starter doesn't deserve to be ahead of a 1st ballot hall of famer

11. powayslugger

powayslugger 2014--- Bring on the Lombardi!

Ratings:
    +163
    1- Fouts... the gold standard until proven otherwise
    2- Rivers... soon to be the gold standard- especially if he brings home the Lombardi
    3- Humphries... led us to a Super Bowl... that counts for a lot in my book... a winner
    4- Hadl... He was Dan Fouts before Dan Fouts came along.
    5- Brees... a winner... but more of a winner in New Orleans

Honorable mention: Rote, Flutie, and Unitas (just because he's Johnny U)

12. powayslugger

powayslugger 2014--- Bring on the Lombardi!

Ratings:
    +163
    Canepa... I only read this guy when I forget my coffee so I can get jazzed up without the caffeine. He really knows how to piss me off on most days.

13. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,173
    Hey its my opinion and I am sticking to it... :p

14. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627
    Thats fine. If I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.:roflmao:

• Like Like x 1
  15. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +154
    1. Rivers- I think he is a better QB than Fouts was. 1st ballot HOF or not.
    2.Fouts
    3.Hadl-I think he was a bit better than Humpries as a QB.
    4. Humpries- Led us to a Super Bowl
    5.Brees