1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Police horse strikes and kills 49er fan

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    A runaway police horse struck and fatally injured a San Francisco 49ers fan in front of Candlestick Park on Friday night shortly before the game against the San Diego Chargers.
    Eugene Caldwell, 78 of Roseville, a longtime season ticket holder, died at San Francisco General Hospital early Saturday, the San Francisco Medical Examiner's Office reported.
    Caldwell was in a charter bus parking lot at 6 p.m. Friday when the accident happened.
    According to San Francisco police, a mounted officer and his 11-year-old male horse, named Seattle, were patrolling a parking lot when a plastic bag blew up and caught in the animal's bridle.
    The officer reached down to dislodge the bag, and the horse shook his head upward, triggering a collision that sent both officer and horse to the ground.
    The horse got up, broke loose and bolted.
    The horse hit and slightly injured one man, continued running and hit Caldwell, knocking him to the pavement, said police Sgt. Neville Gittens.
    Another fan was able to bring the horse under control.
    Neither the horse nor the mounted officer had serious injuries, police said.
    "It was a very weird accident," Gittens said. "It was very unfortunate."
    He urged anyone who witnessed or took video of the accident to call police at 415-575-4444.
    San Francisco uses police horses on patrols in the parking lot to prevent auto burglaries.

2. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    I never understood mounted police. Use a Segway or something like the mall security guys. Or just use your damn feet. This isn't the 1800s anymore geez.

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    its projection of power and it allows a better angle to see and police (and if needed hit someone with something)

4. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151

Mounted police are very useful at crowd control. Being a former police officer myself I've seen it first hand.

5. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Tear gas is also very useful right?

6. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    How about pepper spray?

7. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    Well, I've seen some people take pepper spray to the face and shake it off. It's rare, but it happens.

I can kind of understand a better viewing angle for cops while patrolling, but it seems like there could be a better way of doing it.

Something I've always wondered... when the horse drops a loaf, does the cop have to clean up after it? I've never actually seen it happen, but I know in parades and stuff there's always that guy that follows behind to clean up.

8. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    Yeah, but if an officer rides a Segue, the crowd laughs itself unconscious and becomes easy to control! :yes:

9. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    Especially if they wear cowboys chaps for bottoms with no pants.

10. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    ....."How did he die? OH A HORSE SMACKED HIM IN THE FACE!"

Maybe not the most sensitive thing I could say, but hell if you can't laugh what else can you do?

11. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    That's standard attire in Westwood.

12. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    How would you know? :icon_tease:

• Like Like x 1
  13. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    I read about it in a discarded KISS ARMY brochure.

14. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Are you sure it wasn't your Village People Weekly magazine? :icon_rofl: