1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Politcal Section Poll

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Thumper, May 12, 2008.

?

What should we do with the politics section?

Poll closed May 18, 2008.
  1. Just keep it shut down and keep the focus here on Chargers football.

8 vote(s)
    38.1%
  2. Reopen the section and assign moderators just to manage this section.

3 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. Open it but make members have to request access and read a disclaimer before entering the section.

8 vote(s)
    38.1%
  4. None of these. I have another idea that I'm posting in the thread.

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Because of complaints, fights, name calling, agenda laced lies, and other just general rude behavior, I've shut down the political playground section. This section has very few posts compared to the rest of the forums, yet it seems that a large majority of the problems we receive start in that section.

I know this is an election year and it's the off season, so politics is a natural topic of discussion. It just seems to me that rather that a civil political debate in that section, we have people try to one up each other with ridiculous stereotyping and outright insults. When we have people starting new threads just to continue arguments (which is a violation of our TOS) because an out of hand thread was closed, I've realized we have a huge problem with this section.

So this is what we need to decide. What should we do with the political section?

-Should we just keep it shut down and keep the focus here on Chargers football?

-Should we reopen the section and assign moderators just to manage this section?

-Should we make it a section similar to the adult section where members have to request access and read a disclaimer that they know that insults and complete distortions of the truth will be thrown around regularly?

-Should we do some combination of the above?

-Do you have another idea? Should we do something else to handle political talk here?

I've always felt that this forum belongs to all of our members. So this is your chance to have some input. We will read this thread over the next week and take these posts into consideration when we make our decision what the future of political talk is at bolttalk.

2. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022
    I say reopen it and assign moderators to that section. Actually you can have moderators for the General/Politics section as well as the Sports sections once the season gets going

3. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Problem is with the political section, we need moderators for just that section. It's becoming that big of a problem.

It's got to be someone that is very neutral politically. In other words, with that section reopened, every post of every thread would be regularly policed. Not sure that's easily doable or the best solution, but your thoughts are welcomed.

4. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    I'll be a Mod in that section. I'll just close down threads I don't agree with! :icon_rofl:

:icon_tease:

I say just close it down.

5. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Typically it is not a problem. With elections looming blood gets boiling. Make it a joinable forum AND give it a moderator...

6. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Is there anyone that feels passionately that we need a political section?

7. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Not I, McFly....:no:

8. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    Shut it down. muhahahhahahahahaha. MUHAHAHAHAHHAHA.

Or rename the website

"peoplewhofightoverwhichindividualwilldonothingforthebettermentofmyownlifeorthelifeoftheaveragecitizenoftheunitedstatesofamerica.com"

Better check domain availability first though :yes:

9. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    :icon_rofl:

Now this a funny post.

10. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
  11. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    I would like to see a hybrid of two of the options listed:

Re-open the section and assign moderators just to manage this section.

AND

-Make it a section similar to the adult section where members have to request access and read a disclaimer.

BUT...

Trying to find a mod who's TRULY politically "neutral" just ain't going to happen. For example, I consider myself fairly neutral politically, but I'm not afraid to say who I'm voting for, which is really what a politcal section is all about.

Yes, there will be name calling, branding and info taken out of context which will be presented as hard facts. None of it will EVER be 100% truthful.

12. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    I agree 100% with this.

The only thing that would be needed as a MOD is if there is Attacks and name calling then there will need to be punishments handed out. Some civility needs to be put into action. Let us be adults and not be like children who would name call and attack others. That is just my thoughts.

• Like Like x 1
  13. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I say "make it like the adult section and let the Dems, Pubs, Libs, Cons, etc. kill each other!!! Make it a moderator free zone!!! Enter at your own risk. Forum not responsible for abuse!!!" :lol: :yes:

In all seriousness... not a bad idea but I doubt it will stand.
    I think Turtle's idea is good then again, I won't be heart broken if that section remains closed. After the election, thing will be just as heated if not worse.

A possible alternative? This is a Chargers forum but there is also the off season. After February, there's not much to talk about till April and after April, there's not much to talk about till September.
    The Lounge and Adult area is fun but you can talk about nonsense for so long.
    Here some suggested alternatives...
    1.) Food seems to be a popular subject. Make that an entire section. You could have threads about tailgating recipes, home recipes, favorite taco stands, etc.
    2.) Music would be a cool section too. Start threads about rap, metal, country or what ever else.
    3.) Movies/TV section could be cool too.
    4.) Traveling would be really cool!!! Tell us where you've been, would you recommend it, and what's to see there!!!
    5.) Hobbies. We live in a place where hobbies are limitedless!!!

I say DO THAT!!! :yes:

14. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    No we're not adding more sections. I've seen forums where it takes twenty minutes just to find the right section section to post in. I don't think that's what everyone wants.

Those sound like they'd be be good thread ideas, but not whole sections. Besides, that's not the topic of this thread. The topic is what to do about the political section because it's become a problem.

15. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    And I'm suggesting to replace the political threads with one or two of these options.
    A few off topic sections are good to keep people coming during the offseason.

Replace "General News" with food and "Political Playground" with music.
    Especially because with those two topics, you have unlimited categories and that means unlimited threads.

16. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    My opinion here is a big NO. We would have to add so many sections that like Thumper said I do not want to have to sift through all the sections to get to just say like a Music section.

I would rather have a section that has many threads in it than have many sections that have not so many threads in it.

It would tax the servers so much to have so many sections that I do not think you want to have a forum that is always at a snails pace. I would not want that.

17. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I understand all of this but in the server logic... what's the difference between keeping "Political Playground" and "General News" as opposed to deleting them to put "Food" and "Music" in their place?

Not to mention, those are subject what will highly unlikely start personal attacks.

18. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I see what you're saying. Having additional section instead of general news & the political section.

I believe the less sections the better. If a section is dead, nobody will go there. Hence the problem with general news. Nobody goes there. But rather than pulling sections out of the lounge where they might be dead also, maybe we should put general news into the lounge, plus keep music and food there as well. The food threads are cool and active, but I don't think there is enough activity to justify it's own section. I'm only using food as an example, but same with music.

Maybe if we keep all those topics in the lounge and even add general news, we can create some thread icons, so people can see what the topic of each thread is right away.

But, if I understand you correctly, you want to have the political section gone. Honestly, I think that might be the best way to go in the long run.

19. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    "Political Playground" needs it's own section if it is to exist. The other option is to not have it here.

20. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    If we put a music section we would have to put a TV section to go with a Movie section and as well a smaller Broadway and off Broadway section. That is too much for us to handle as a Chargers forum. So again I say no.

That is what we are is a San Diego Chargers Forum. All we are asking is if we should keep a Political section or not.

This is though Thumpers decision. He just wanted our opinion on keeping the Politics section, doing something else with it or getting rid of it all together.

ADDED EDIT: I myself am not going to argue about one section over another. I am done with what I needed to say.

21. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    That's an idea!!!

Delete the "GN" and "PP" section and just have an "Entertainment" section. Music, Tv, Movies, plays, museums, non-sporting events, and whatever else.

I say ditch the politics section and replace it with entertainment. That's great off season discussion!!! :yes:

22. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Like I said "I won't be heart broken if that section is gone."
    With that said, I suggested to Tuttle, why not replace it with an "Entertainment" section. It could include music, TV, movies, plays, museums, non-sporting events, and whatever else.

23. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    While that is a good suggestion there are a few problems with that approach...

First of all it really demands a new level of micro-management for the MODs. So anytime a new thread pops up in the lounge or main forum, or any other forum for that matter, it becomes our responsibility to evaluate whether it is more closely related to food, or a TV show, or museum, etc. And quite frankly we're here to moderate a football discussion, not sort out and organize a whole lot of socializing.

Secondly, the more we create new forums and sub-forums the fewer people are going to read all your threads. Almost universally every subsequent sub-folder gets fewer views than its parent. And the harder you have to look for the right sub-forum the less likely you are to bother hunting for it. Not to mention that people relatively new to the forum might not be aware of the various sub-forums we're attempting to offer and again we're back to my first concern, that of having to micro-manage misplaced threads.

But the consequences of fewer views really are kind of serious. First and foremost, fewer views - > fewer posts - > less interesting conversation. And that is not good for the board nor the people that come her to be entertained. Another consequence is that people don't feel like their posts are getting enough attention so they start cross posting into other forums. Like somebody starts a thread in the Food section about a new recipe then has to go to the lounge a start a "New Recipe in the Food Section" thread, to make sure everybody knows it's there. Not to mention that if we pulled all the entertainment posts into their own sub-forums the Lounge would essentially be dead.

Lastly, creating a bunch of Entertainment oriented threads is not going to stop people from talking about politics. People are seriously trying to talk about candidates and nominations in threads in the main forum that are supposed to be about the Chargers. The whole reason for creating a political forum is to give people a place to vent and give us a place to move off topic posts. I can't imagine that creating a bunch of Entertainment oriented threads is going to make people forget about their differences and the ongoing presidential race.

So it's not a bad idea and I very much appreciate your creative approach... I just really don't think it's the right solution.

24. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I'll post my thoughts this evening. I've really got to give this some thought before I answer because I want what's best for this forum. It's become that important to me.

25. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Burn it to the ground.

I say 3 forums:
    1 main: Chargers + NFL topics
    2 subs: Random and Adults Only (which I think is redundant anyways)

and that's it

26. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022
    Well, hopefully we have a political thread here... If not, that's OK, as I'll spout off my political opinions at LLV (where I can't be banned) or at the UT.. where I can be banned. :icon_eek:

I'd say I'm a centrist but definitely lean more right than most of those libs at LLV. This summer should be alot of fun.. :icon_mrgreen: :tup:

27. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022
    Bottom line, from a business standpoint... 2008 would be a great year to incorporate a political forum... no matter how you wanted to look at it!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.