1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

POLL: After the first "Full day" of Free Agency, How do you feel?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, Mar 14, 2012.

?

How do you feel about the Chargers right now?

1. Oh no.....we suck again

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. We are going to be awesome

11 vote(s)
    47.8%
  3. No real change

6 vote(s)
    26.1%
  4. Damn you Norv and AJ for screwing this up!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Meh

6 vote(s)
    26.1%
  1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    Just wanted to get a feel for how the denizens of Bolttalk are feeling after 30+ hrs of free agency. Are we better, worse or roughly the same as we were at the end of the season?

2. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Hard for me to know how I feel until I know how much we spent on Gaither and Johnson. I can live with losing VJ as long as we spend the money we saved wisely, and in as many key areas as possible.

If I had to give it a letter grade, I'd be B right now for the first 30 hours.

3. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +271
    So far I've been pleasantly surprised... been checking to see the latest free agent news from my phone all day... cant remember another offseason i felt as though we had a chance to land some good pieces as we are doing right now

4. Drunk

Drunk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +202
    well i know we are going to be awesome but i panicked early on and sold all my charger **** on craigslist. i wouldof went thru ebay but im too poor to pay for shipping.:unsure:

• Like Like x 4
  5. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    It seems to me that the front office is much more aggressive this year in free agency. We have a lot of holes to fill and about half of the cap space to work with as Tampa Bay. So far I am OK with the people they have signed. They have locked down the offensive line that finished last season so we have at least stopped the bleeding there for now. Meachem is a quality WR and apparently Royal will be visiting soon. Jarett Johnson should help our run defense and McClain puts more beef in the backfield. So far, so good.

It is pretty obvious to me that VJ and Mario would have broken the bank and if we only had one glaring deficiency then maybe you drop that kind of coin on one player. As you can tell from our last couple of seasons we have a wish list that would give Santa a hernia. They still need to address the pass rush and the defensive backfield.

With regards to "the ones that got away", too bad about Dielman but it was the right decision to hang it up. With Big Mac, we all knew on draft day that he had spinal issues that would probably shorten his career and combine that with his recent neck injury I can understand that they wouldn't want to risk that much salary on someone that may not be able to give them a full season health-wise. On VJ, I would have liked to been able to keep him around but his price tag would have kept them from signing other quality players...and they have to pay 53 of them. To me it boils down to either filling multiple needs or keeping VJ and signing some low-cost stiffs with the leftover money.

Obviously, we can't really judge these moves until the end of the 2012 season but at least to me the moves they have made are not real head-scratchers so I'm good for now....if it doesn't work, they will have to blow the whole thing up next year and go in....wait for it.....another direction.

6. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I hate polls. But I'm not whining so I'll let others tell me how I feel. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    I'm somewhere above 'no real change' but I wouldn't go as far as saying 'we are going to be awesome' (we have the same HC after all who will not get it done no matter what).

Some opinions - the O line was a priority and to get Gaither (provided he is motivated fingers crossed) and Nick locked in is great news. I'm content with Green at LG too. Probably need some decent depth though, Dombo is at best a backup guard imho. Not convinced about Schilling either. We need a good Tackle.

I like the Meachem, JJ and McClain signings. The Bucs overpaid for VJ, no way was he worth that money to us what with all our holes. I'm hoping McClain and Summers mean the end of Hester. If Eddie Royal comes in our WR group is better than last years!.

BUT..... it is the D that is where the problems are. We still need some sort of beasting pass rusher and a SS to complement Weddle. I assume we go pass rushin LB now in the first round (Mercilus/Ingram) and hope one of those 2 SS's are there in round 2.

• Like Like x 1
  8. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    None oft hose options reflect my feels, which is Cautiously optimistic. So far, I like the moves we have made, but I still think we need to bring in another WR. With that, we could concentrate on getting a pass rushing OLB, SS, and TE with our 1st 3 picks. Assuming those guys make some sort of immediate impact, even if it isn't as a starter, I think this could be a good offseason. But we need another veteran WR and a good draft IMO. But I also don't know how much cap space we have left, to know if we can afford to get another WR

9. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I think our running game got better, and our passing game changed. Smitty is basically rolling the dice that Floyd and Gates are healthy all season. If they are, then we'll have a better offense (by alot) than last season. If Floyd and Gates miss significant time, then we have no passing attack, because I don't see Meacham consistently beating double coverage.

We did not address either of the two talent black holes on our defense, SS and OLB. At this point you have to think that the draft is where these guys are going to be looked for. I would say that we probably improved some of our packages (nickel, goal line) with the two LBs we picked up, but I don't know how much playing time either of them is going to see.

I put "Meh" because I didn't really see a change, and the language coming out of the FO had been about making a splash.

10. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I think you are discounting the possibility that Vincent Brown makes improvements going into his 2nd year. Also, there is no reason we can't address TE in the 3rd or 4th, especially since Aaron Hernandez was a 4th rounder, Jimmy Graham was a 3rd, Jermichael Finley was a 3rd, and Jason Witten was a 3rd rounder. There are plently of examples of being able to get TE's in the 3rd or 4th round, and I think that will definitely be a position that is addressed in the mid-rounds after OLB and SS with our 1st 2 picks.

By the way, i owuld still love to see us go get another WR, someone like Brandon Lloyd

11. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    You're absolutely right with regards to productive TEs being available later in the draft, except that this TE class is not only shallow, but crappy in general. We really screwed the pooch trading up for Mathews, we'd have Gronk and this would be a non-issue.

Anyway, we're not getting Lloyd, because he's not signing for less money than Meachem just did, and I'm guessing we can't afford that (we couldn't afford 13 mil for Jackson, I don't see how we'd afford 13 for Lloyd/Meachem). I'm not discounting Brown at all, though I think you're not really looking at the roster. If Floyd and Gates are both down or playing with significantly reduced performance, our receivers would be Meachem, Brown, Goodman in the slot, and McMichael or Sperry. Teams will just put their top CB on Brown, double Meachem, and give each other high fives after they sack Rivers.

If Floyd and Gates are healthy, it's a sick receiving unit. You'd likely see Brown and Floyd wide with Meachem in the slot and Gates split out with McClain in to provide a credible running threat while being able to block.

I believe Brown will be a better receiver this year than last. I don't think I've seen anyone say that he won't. That doesn't mean that, at the moment, our entire offensive lineup is based around an assumption that two players, who have missed significant time due to injuries in each of the last 3 (or is it 2 for Floyd?) seasons, will remain healthy.

I'm not saying that they'll get injured, I'm saying that we're staking our offensive gameplan this season on a roll of the dice, unless Norv is going to transform us into a run first offense and pound it 40 times a game.

12. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I am just saying I don;t think it is as bad as you make it sound. F Gates missed 6 games and Floyd missed 5 games in 2010, and Rivers lead the league in passing. I think we will be just fine as long as Rivers has decent blocking and a competent running game, that will eliminate a defense from being able to double up our WR's, except during obvious passing situations

13. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    My opinions aren't really reflected in the options. I'm very happy so far but am not sure how it'll all end up playing out. I guess cautious optimism/excitement

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I think looking at the games Floyd missed is somewhat inaccurate. He missed 5 games, but bookending the games he missed was a 2 for 15 yds @ STL, a 2 for 24 yds vs Den and a 0 reception performance @ Indy.

Gates had also started the season off on fire before dying after week 6. He played well in week 8, but he was basically not there for 9 weeks of the season.

If you look at Rivers' passing totals by game, you can really see the impact of having them out. (losses bolded)

Week 1, Floyd and Gates active 298 yds
    Week 2, Floyd and Gates active 334 yds
    Week 3, Floyd and Gates active 455 yds
    Week 4, Floyd and Gates active 241 yds (blowout win)
    Week 5, Floyd and Gates active 431 yds
    Week 6, Floyd and Gates hurt 249 yds
    Week 7, Floyd and Gates hurt, Floyd does not play 336 yds
    Week 8, Floyd and Gates hurt, Floyd does not play 305 yds
    Week 9 Bye
    Week 10, Neither plays 295 yds
    Week 11, Floyd plays vs Den 233 yds
    Week 12, Floyd and Gates hurt 185 yds (defensive blowout win)
    Week 13, Floyd and Gates hurt 280 yds
    Week 14, Floyd plays 226 yds (blowout win)
    Week 15, neither plays 273 yds (blowout win)
    Week 16, neither plays 256 yds
    Week 17, Floyd plays 313 yds

If you look at the losses where neither played or were coming off injuries, the yardage is significantly lower than in those losses where they were both available.

We're counting on these guys, and when they aren't on the field, or are severely hampered by injury, we're going to get owned unless our defense and/or running game absolutely takes over.

15. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Look deep into the stats all you want, fact is River lead the NFL is passing without VJ and with Gates and Floyd both missing significant time.

16. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    He passed for 1759 yds with Floyd and Gates "healthy" in the first five weeks, and from the point where their injuries were taking them out of games, he passed for 2951 yds. 2.2 times as many games, 1.67 times as many yards. He only led the league because of the staggering performance out of the gate. Had he maintained the pace from the first 5 games he would've thrown for 5600+ yds. He did in fact lead the league in passing, in spite of them missing significant time due to injury. However, he was also significantly affected by their absence/ineffectiveness. The two are not mutually exclusive...

This is why I'm saying that he's rolling the dice on the season. If those guys stay healthy, Rivers is likely breaking Brees's yardage record next season. If Gates and Floyd go down, then we'll most likely see performances closer to those from the back half of 2010.

17. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I do not deny that we are better with them healthy, it would be stupid to say other wise. I am just saying our season is not done if they get hurt.

18. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Did we ever put a reason on why Rivers was so awful last season? If he continues to throw those INT's then it won't matter who we have at WR. Hopefully it was an injury so that he can get back to normal.

19. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    His line was ***

20. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    It isn't, if the defense plays great and the running game is effective. If they go down and the opposing team scores a TD on every possession because they can't stop a runny nose, then Rivers would have been screwed, up until the point where we inked Royal, giving us a 4th receiving option. I don't know what a Meachem, Brown, Royal, Sperry receiving corps could get done, but I'd rather not have to find out.

21. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Agree. This season will be good or bad based on how the defense performs

22. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +271
    Sperry?? if kory sperry has more then 15 receptions this year i will go out on a limb and say we miss the playoffs again :devilish: