1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

POLL: Are you a Gurley man?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ETicket, Apr 10, 2015.

?

If Todd Gurley is available at 17 do you pull the trigger?

1. YES

12 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. NO

15 vote(s)
    55.6%
  1. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +367
  2. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +301
    I hope we do not go RB in round 1, but if we do, I would prefer Gordon.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +375
    R.E.L.A.X relax man. We're gonna draft Gurley and our Run game will be set for years.

4. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    I don't want another perpetually injured RB. Gurley coming off knee surgery and you think that's NOTHING?

That said, I do like Gordon. Not so sure in the first round.

5. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    I wouldn't be upset if we drafted Gurley, I just like Gordon better.

I have the avatar on stand by

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Knee injuries these days really aren't as big of a worry as they were even 5 years ago. And you've got remember that well more than 5 years ago, Frank Gore had a similar late-in-the-year ACL tear and came back to have a pretty damn good and healthy NFL career.

I do agree that I don't particularly like the value of RB in the 1st, but the knee injury wouldn't even be in my top 5 of concerns for Gurley, who is reportedly ahead of schedule on his rehab, and who didn't suffer a Marcus Lattimore type leg injury.

7. Bruce Daniel

Bruce Daniel BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +241
    As always, depends on who's on the board along with him. I'm on board though, I think he's a special talent and superior to Gordon.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    I say no, not because I don't like Gurley, but because I think we have other needs that would be better suited if we addressed them early.

I think we could get a middle round RB who could do a job for us, while other positions in this draft aren't as deep.

9. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +389
    Wouldn't be too upset if the brass decided to select him, but voted no b/c I'm all in for shoring up the lines and nailing down a top rung OLB.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,729
    The poll doesn't leave many choices, what happened to option 3, draft a kicker?

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +275
    I'm just not sold on dropping a high pick on a RB with an injury history. We've got bigger needs than RB. D-line and CB come to mind

12. JohnnyX

Ratings:
    +375
    We'll if we're drafting him I hope his all clear on that end of the spectrum. I'll be fan of Gordon if his a Charger or if we go defense in the 1st and grab Coleman and Ajayi in the 2nd.

Lots of options, should be a fun draft.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    The idea of replacing Mathews by spending a very high draft pick on Gurley is a pretty tough sell. He would have to be head and shoulders better than Melvin Gordon, and he's just not. I think Gurley is probably the better athlete, but he's not the better runner. In which case I think you take the safer player.

Again...REALLY hoping we can pull off a trade back.:tup:

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    If Gurley didn't have the injury tarnishing his resume he'd be a top 10 pick in this draft.

Let's not diminish his ability just because the NFL loves the passing game more and more each year.

15. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Also, just because Mathews got hurt a lot doesn't mean we need to be scared off by anybody who's ever been injured.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,024
    I agree with Leo on that sentiment. Going from LT to Mathews was like a deja vu of the movie Unbreakable! LT in the early phase of his career was akin to Bruce Willis's character, freakishly unbreakable in every sense of the word, whereas Mathews unfortunately was Sam L. Jackson's character, very brittle in every sense! It's one thing to have had knee surgery, which is nothing to belittle or to scoff at, but it is an astonishing feat to keep breaking clavicles and MCL on seemingly the most benign of endeavors.

Ryan sadly had an old man's physical tolerance levels in a very young athletes body. Trust me, I can attest to the former ;)

17. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    And if Ryan Mathews didn't have injuries, he'd still be here, and we wouldn't be talking about RBs in the 1st round again.

The passing game isn't the issue with Gurley, he's arguably a better receiver than Mathews and Melvin Gordon, and definitely a more finished in pass protection.

We're splitting hairs here, but the issues I have with Gurley are lateral agility, and field vision. There are times when he looks a LOT like Darren McFadden just ducking his head and diving through a hole, rather than running under control and looking for the 2nd cut (a la LaDanian Tomlinson). It's the difference between being an athlete who plays RB, and being a RB who is an athlete, it also causes him to take quite a few big hits.

You add the torn ACL and the ankle injury that cost him time in 2013, and I just trust Melvin Gordon more. Either way we'd end up with a super talented RB though.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  18. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    I'm not sure what Ryan Mathews has to do with what you quoted, but fair enough on providing an actual analysis thereafter.

I wouldn't hate drafting Gordon either.

19. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    That option is only available on the Oakland message board. :roflmao:

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,729
    Or option 4, none of the above...

21. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +367
    I painstakingly crafted the poll to preclude any jackassery. :p

22. Bruce Daniel

Bruce Daniel BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +241
    I've watched plenty of tape on both of these guys and I'm not sure how you come away not thinking Gurley is superior to Gordon. From what I've seen, Gurley is faster, more physical, his burst in the hole is elite, has better hands, is a better blocker, when he gets through the line, look out that thing has a chance to get housed almost every time, smaller DB's are at his mercy. I will concede that Gordon has better vision, lighter feet and more wiggle than Gurley but thats about it. Not that Gordon is terrible in any of the aforementioned, just that Gurley is better in my opinion. If our goal is to go with a "power" run game, give me Gurley. Over the course of four quarters, Gurley is going to wear on defenses a bit more than Gordon. For reference, watch the Ohio State-Wisconsin tape on Gordon, they pretty much shut him out, I can't find a tape like that on Gurley. Also, it bothered me watching Gordon, specifically the Bowling Green game, that he was getting caught from behind by DB's. Thats against Bowling Green mind you, it didn't surprise me at all when he ran a 4.5 at the combine, heck I thought he might be a 4.6 guy. I didn't see that too often with Gurley unless the DB had the angle on him, he was running away from guys.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
  24. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
  25. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    Per College Football Scouting

As we wade into our massive pool of College Football Focus data, we’ll be sharing with you some of the highlights from our Signature Stats in position-by-position looks. So, over the next couple weeks you can expect daily dives into the best and worst that the full FBS schedule produced in all of the same categories you’ve come to know from our NFL coverage. It’s important to note that our stats are different from our grades, as the stats are black and white, result-based numbers while the grades add the context to a player’s contribution in each situation.

Here is a look at some of our more overall and rushing-based signature stats for running backs with the 2014 NFL leader listed for perspective.

Elusive Rating

[​IMG]

2014 NFL Leader: Marshawn Lynch 94.3

Our Elusive Rating statistic attempts to measure the success of a running back beyond his blockers by taking missed tackles forced and yards after contact into account against the player’s total touches. Our grades take into account things that normal statistics cannot, such as a burst of speed that beats a defender without providing the defender an opportunity to make a tackle, and therefore won’t match up exactly with Elusive Rating, but the rating has still proven to be a good representation overall.

– Between suspension and injury, Todd Gurley missed a significant portion of the season. However, he was one of the most explosive runners when he was on the field. To provide some more context to Gurley’s 116.6 rating, there have only been two players in eight years of PFF NFL data to break a 90 score in the regular season (Marshawn Lynch, 2014 and C.J. Spiller, 2012). Even with Lynch’s outstanding performance in the playoffs last year, he still only reached a 104.2 Elusive Rating.
    – You don’t see Josh Robinson talked about often among draft prospects, but he is one of the better backs at making defenders miss at the second level with his excellent lateral agility. His 3.96 rush attempts per missed tackle forced is the second-best rate among Power 5 running backs with at least 100 carries in this draft class.
    – Unsurprisingly, Melvin Gordon makes the Top 10 after leading the draft class with 78 missed tackles forced. Tevin Coleman also made the list while being the only back in the class to average over four yards after contact per rush.

Elusive Rating Versus Power 5 Opponents

[​IMG]

There is obviously a wider range of competition levels in college compared to the NFL. One of the things we can do with our database is narrow down players’ performance against specific conferences. In this case, we are looking solely at the Power 5 conferences to analyze how the players performed against (generally) better competition.

– While most backs had at least a slight drop in Elusive Rating, T.J. Yeldon generally fared better in games versus Power 5 teams compared to his brief showings against Florida Atlantic and Southern Miss.
    – One of the biggest drops among the top backs was Coleman, who dropped to a 51.1 rating. Of his 50 missed tackles forced on the year, 22 came against non-Power 5 opponents which accounted for only 23% of his carries.
    – Former Hurricanes running back Duke Johnson jumps into the Top 10 along with his FBS-leading 13 missed tackles on pass receptions.

Breakaway Percentage

[​IMG]

2014 NFL Leader: Justin Forsett 41.7%

Our Breakaway Percentage signature stat shows which running backs earn the highest percentage of yardage on runs of 15-plus yards.

– Coleman showed a knack for evading safeties and the ability to break off large chunks of yardage this season, and eclipsed 1,000 yards on big plays alone.
    – Gordon gained 1,469 rushing yards on his FBS-best 40 runs of 15-plus yards, which would have ranked 10th in rushing yards among the draft class based on just those 40 carries.

Breakaway Percentage Versus Power 5 Opponents

[​IMG]

When looking at games against Power 5 opponents, there is surprisingly not a large change in Breakaway Percentage.

– While Coleman and Gordon’s respective Breakaway Percentages changed by only a little more than one percent, each had eight of their 15-plus yard runs against non-Power 5 opponents.
    – This may say more about Big Ten run defenses, but six of the Top 10 players came from the conference, compared to just two from the SEC and two from the ACC.

• Useful Useful x 1
  26. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +90
    An ACL injury is always a concern. True, some players still go on to become effective in their careers but one thing is for certain...you are never going to be 100% of what you where before the injury. Do we really want to take a 1st rounder on someone that is unlikely to ever live upto their true potential?

Gordon would be a better option...but I am edging towards the idea of going 2nd or 3rd round for a running back. Tevin Coleman is an intriguing prospect.

27. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    That "some" players is actually most players nowadays. Unless an injury is as gory as Marcus Lattimore's (which Gurley's wasn't - Lattimore had his knee absolutely shredded and tore all three ligaments as well as the meniscus), it's actually more likely that players return to the physical capability they had pre-injury than not - these aren't your average person walking down the street, they're top class athletes who have been and are in better physical shape than just about everyone. Sports medicine has honestly come that far.

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    • Like Like x 1
  29. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162
    I can get behind it aslong as we get another olineman

30. JohnnyX

Ratings:
    +375
    Odd they hadn't visited or held a workout with him. I thought the fear of injury held them back.