1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

POLL: DO YOU FIRE MARTY NOW ???

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Trumpet_Man, Jan 15, 2007.

?

POLL: DO YOU FIRE MARTY NOW AFTER THIS LOSS ?

Poll closed Feb 14, 2007.
  1. YES

40.5%
  2. NO

48.6%
  3. I do not want to participate in your stupid poll again !!

10.8%
  1. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    YES or NO ?

Now get after it.

2. LT teh ghost

LT teh ghost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +313
    Yes, just make sure that the phins have hired there head coach first, i don't wanna take any chances.

• Like Like x 2
  3. P88F

P88F BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99

Lmao HAHA well he does have a point

• Like Like x 1
  4. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    I say no. Give him ONE more chance. He's helped turn this franchise around, and considering that the players mostly blew the game yesterday, I think he deserves once more chance to get back into the playoffs next year and get over that hump.

14-3 folks, losing by only 9 points combined in those 3 loses. I am willing to give him just ONE more season to finish his contract and keep some continuity with this team.

Ok, go ahead and call me crazy...

5. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    my changed opinion is that you have to now. or else the crime rate in sd will skyrocket

6. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    Im with Ray on this one. The Players/Player lost this game for Marty.

7. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    A.J. - please fire everyone

Signed

Me

8. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    You all know that the Players lost this game but think what you want...

9. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Blow them all out, and kick stupid *** Drayton Florence out with them!!!

10. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    And the principal is under the proctoscope.

11. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Fire Marty and start all over? Thats a bad move right now. :bolt2:

12. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    You're crazy, totally crazy. Marty's only job was to keep those players under control. All Marty had to do was make sure they didn't do anything stupid, like trying to return and int on a freakin 4th down play. Or don't run your mouth after stopping them on 3rd down. That's Marty's responsibility.:no:

13. sandiego_56

sandiego_56 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    it is not marty who loses his head its the defensive players, seeing them very cocky.
    we need off season program to tighten every body's screws

give marty a chance

14. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    That is marty's job.

15. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    What I want to know is, can the Chargers rebound positively after this loss?

Marty preaches poise. The players didn't show it.

Marty preaches being careful with the ball. The players didn't show it.

Why? Are the players tuning him out?

This is a crucial question in determining whether or not Marty should be back. Do the players really take to heart what he says? Or is it only a select few, like LT, Rivers, and Donnie?

I suppose it's up for AJ to decide. If he sees that the players are no longer responding to him, maybe it is time for him to go. If they can bounce back from this game, learn from the tape and the experience and really start to LISTEN to Marty - I think he deserves another year.

But I won't lie - that postseason record is really becoming a distraction.

16. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I don't know if changing coaches will make us better, but Marty has his shot and couldn't get it done. As I said before, it certainly appears from the actions on the field that the players are NOT listening to Marty's message. We all know what he preaches, but it didn't sink in. The players did not play with their heads.

Marty's message are still the right ones. Play smart. One play at a time. Ball security.

The problem is that the players didn't listen. One or two bad plays, and you can pinpoint those few guys. A whole slew of them, and it's more than finding a couple player scapegoats.

It's the messenger. The players aren't listening to him anymore. They can say different, but their conduct on the field shows they have tuned Marty out.

It's time.

17. Big Dave

Big Dave BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +14
    First off let me give you all my condolances. While I was pulling for the Chargers because of my repulsion of the Patriots, I thought you had the best team in the NFL. Also, I always pull for Marty Schottenheimer teams as he's a class act and Phillip Rivers quarterbacked at my NCSU school.

I'm in agreement with ChargerRay. How do you fire a coach with a 14-3 record? He just had the misfortune of playing the Patsies in the first playoff game.

How is this loss Schottenheimer's fault? He let his Offensive Coordinator and his Defensive Coordinator coach without any interference from him. I questioned his decision to not kick the 48 yard field goal into the wind in the first quarter only to see Kaeding miss a 54 yarder by a mile with the wind at the end of the game. Keep him around another year. I would say that Cam Cameron's playcalling is suspect.

BTW, if Marty and AJ Smith cannot coexist, then you fire Marty. AJ Smith has brought in a lot of very good talent to your team.

18. Big Dave

Big Dave BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +14
    How is it Marty's fault? He can't help it that his player made an idiotic decision. A high schooler knows you do not intercept the ball on 4th down.

19. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    If Marty does go... who replaces him?

Carroll? Don't know... he's already had a shot at the NFL. But then again, Belichick as awful with the Browns as well.

Cam? No thanks. He already had full control of the offense and couldn't score with a million opportunities in Pats territory.

Wade? Halfway sold. His defense can be great with the addition of a great safety. But those don't exactly grow on trees. Also, his defensive players are the ones that cost us the game yesterday with a few bonehead plays.

What about Urban Meyer? The man just won a Championship... maybe he's ready to make the jump.

20. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    Based on the Mental errors by the players in that game, where does the buck stop?

They were not prepared.

Florence & Goff - Tied for Knucklehead Award.
    Parker & McCree - Not knowing the situation Award.

Clock management on that final drive was a disaster.

21. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Didn't we just have this poll an hour ago.

Its a tough decision. Martys a good coach most of the time. If they can find another better one maybe.

I think other coaching changes need to be made possibly more.

The team needs something. Maybe just hire a witch doctor to get this possible curse off marty.

22. Virginia Bolt

Virginia Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0

OK, my first post on bolttalk(thank you) and I totally agree with Ray. It wasnt ALL Martys fault.

23. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Here's an idea. when the chargers make the playoffs marty mysteriously gets sick and can't coach. Problem of curse solved. Marty gets his 12+ wins in the regular season. And someone else who isn't cursed coaches during the playoffs. Genius.:yes:

24. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    That POLL was before the game.

This POLL is after the game to compare stats (not scientific but what the hell)

Hey read this....

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

MARTY GONE?

Now that the Chargers have parlayed a 14-2 season and the No. 1 seed in the AFC field into a one-and-out against the Pats, it remains to be seen whether the recent report from John Czarnecki of FOXSports.com that coach Marty Schottenheimer will be fired comes to fruition.

But Czarnecki's report was only that Marty was out if the team lost. Given the manner in which the game unraveled, we think the outcome becomes even more likely.

Seven times that the Chargers were on the 50 or in Patriots territory, San Diego scored no points.

After Marlon McCree's boneheaded decision to intercept a pass on fourth down late in the game rather than knock it down, he fumbled the ball, giving the Pats the mulligan they needed to tie the game up. Yeah, McCree screwed up. But the coaching staff is responsible for making sure that the guys on the field know what to do under specific game circumstances.

Then, Schottenheimer made it worse by wasting a time out, which might have come in handy down the stretch, on a replay challenge of the play that had no chance of succeeding.

Other things happened that weren't the result of coaching decisions. But they were the result of mistakes that NFL players shouldn't make. Individually, it's hard to blame coaching; collectively, coaching is the common thread.

So we think it's time. Marty must go. And, as Chris Mortensen of ESPN reported on Sunday morning, it could be father and son vying for the same job in Miami.

25. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Hey Trumpy.

One thing you should have added to the post is "explore new options and make a decision later."

The only way I want Marty fired is if we bring in a coach with a ring or two!!!

26. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Hmm...if we wait, the talent pool of available coaches gets depleted. A decision would need to be made now I would imagine versus later.

27. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Marty is about to be axed.

All of us knew Marty needed to go deep and now fans are turning into pussssies. :yes: