1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Poll: So when does Norv get F-I-R-E-D ?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by powayslugger, Dec 24, 2011.

?

When Does Norv get his "Pink Slip"?

Poll closed Jan 14, 2012.
  1. Tonight... and we wake up tomorrow with the best Christmas present ever.

3 vote(s)
    7.3%
  2. On Monday... so Norv's Christmas isn't ruined. (Spanos shows he has a heart)

4 vote(s)
    9.8%
  3. Immediately after the last game.

24 vote(s)
    58.5%
  4. Following the Super Bowl.

5 vote(s)
    12.2%
  5. After all available good coaches have taken jobs.

6 vote(s)
    14.6%
  6. holy crap... the earth has shifted on it's axis and Norv is coming back in 2012 !!!!

4 vote(s)
    9.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +171
    How soon before Spanos delivers the 'ziggy' to Nutless Norv?

Feel free to leave a comment... venting your anger and frustration is ok.

Also maybe you'd like to list your #1 "Norv you are a f-ing a$$whole" moment, during his career as Charger coach.

2. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Hall of Fame

Ratings:
    +234
    Dean will think that since we beat a good Baltimore team. Perhaps we can come back next year and for continuity sake Norv can coach this team to a SB with a few holes and patches fixed by AJ. In other words both come back..god i hope I'm wrong.

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,632
    Can't believe that at all, can't believe he'd accept a season ticket holder and fan revolt - especially as an election comes to get a new stadium - that would come if norv returns

• Like Like x 1
  4. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +491
    I have a horrible suspicion that Norv will be back, and if he isn't that Wade will be the new HC

5. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,626
    Not soon enough.

And MOP don't toy with my emotions like that. :mad:

*shudders*

• Like Like x 1
  6. boltfanatik

boltfanatik Toxic Minority Member

Ratings:
    +112
    I don't care about Norv it's AJ I want gone if he goes Norv is history!

7. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +226
    I disagree – there is still a lot of talent & depth on the roster, how many other teams can sustain the injuries that we have (like 4 offensive linemen on IR, 2 of them Pro Bowlers this season, and all the wide receivers we lost last season) and still stay in playoff contention until Week 16?

AJ has definitely swung & missed on some draft picks, but what GM hasn’t? If fired, AJ would likely be quickly hired to the same position by some other NFL team, (possibly even within the division) whereas when we fire Norv, he’ll probably be snatched up as an Offensive Coordinator, but not as a Head Coach.

I say we dismiss Norv, keep AJ, and hire Jeff Fisher, who will gladly work with him.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Norv's as good as gone, and he sounds and act likes he knows it. The team does too.

9. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,454
    Can't have a performance like that in an elimination game two years in a row. This was a complete reenactment of the Cincinnati game last year. The Norv era is quickly drawing to a close...... I'm sure that will make many fans very happy.

10. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    I'd love to see another team in the division grab AJ. Let him screw up their lineup, not ours.

• Like Like x 1
  11. airbolt

airbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +25

Please explain why we are out-muscled, by better, and faster more agile players on many of the up and coming teams? Is that Norv's fault too, since you don't seem to want to assign any blame to AJ? Norv has to go, but AJ is the actual cancer, Norv's hiring is squarely on the back of AJ, due to his inability to coo-exist with a strong coach. So then, you make the leap of faith that Jeff Fisher is the answer? Please defend this weak choice, what are we missing. Finally, you argue that Fisher is willing to work with AJ. Who gives a damn, that shows me the guy is the wrong hire. maybe Fisher can bring back one of AJ's buddies like Ted Cotrell while you are it, and they can have a circle jerk. What is this love affair you have with AJ? Explain it?

• Like Like x 2
  12. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +633
    2 straight season of no playoffs..
    after 2006 when we were 14-2,

2007 : 11-5
    2008 : 8-8
    2009: 13-3
    2010: 9-7
    2011 : 7-9/8-8

you see the inconsistency right there.. I think the whole city of San Diego will irrupt if Norv's not out..

• Like Like x 1
  13. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Glad you printed that record--it's as much an implication of AJ as it is of Norv. Especially because Norv was AJ's hire.

14. Las Vegas Charger fan

Las Vegas Charger fan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +35
    you are so right! It felt like the Cinnci game last year. Miracles happened, all the sh_t that needed to happen for us to make the playoffs last year happened, and what did we do? Lose to a team that had only won 2 games that year. Teebow chokes against the Bills and we went and laid an egg.
    Season tickets next year?!?!? "Let's wait until the end of the season and evaluate what happened". F-U!!! Suck it!!
    Sorry, still upset, I just don't want to go through another 1-15 season like in 01. (I think it was 01).
    Like I said before, I don't know the answer or the question for that matter, but we can't stay the same.
    :( :(

15. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +226
    You know what they say, be careful what you wish for – you just may get it!

Those Tebow-loving Broncos fans were thrilled to get him on the field, and many celebrated when Kyle Orton was cut…now he plays for their division rival Chiefs, he was the starting QB of the 1st team that beat the Packers, and now he has a chance to possibly eliminate them from playoff contention next weekend.

As much as many here hate Nate Kaeding & scream for his dismissal, I can only imagine the pure venom & vitriol that will be spewed if he ends up kicking a game winning field goal against us, especially in a big game.

The fact that A.J. Smith would be highly sought after if released by us should indicate the skills that he has already demonstrated as an NFL General Manager (he was the 2004 NFL Executive Of The Year) and although he hasn’t been perfect, which Chargers player, coach or other team employee has been?

If Norv is let go, then just like in 2007, we will be looking to hire a guy with good coaching experience at the NFL level vice some unproven college coach or other team’s coordinator. Of the big named coaches available, I would like if we hired Jon Gruden or Bill Cowher, but I also like Jeff Fisher because he’s a defensive minded coach, (he was a member of the famed 1985 Bears defense) his Oilers & Titans teams were usually pretty tough, and he has yet to win a Superbowl, so I feel that he would probably be more driven to accomplish that goal here than the other guys mentioned would be.

Cowher & Gruden have both won championships, and Cowher’s Steeler teams were usually in contention for one so their reputations are already intact, win or lose in San Diego but a guy lik Fisher still has a lot to prove in that regard, and our team could use some toughening up, they've been getting softer by the year ever since Marty left.

I feel that our main problem is coaching, more so than with the GM and if we can hire a decent coach who can coexist with our current GM, vice firing both Norv & AJ and subsequently eating both their contracts before even paying their successors, then I would prefer that route, as opposed to the other ones. None of us here are writing the paychecks, so it’s real easy for all of us to demand that Dean Spanos fire just about everyone, pay off all their contracts, sign & pay competent replacements and also pay for quality free agents & hopefully productive draft picks all at the same time…it’s a lot easier said than done.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings:
    +275
    Hopefully ASAP, hopefully after the Oakland game

17. -Scar-

-Scar- thedoomship.com

Ratings:
    +205
    Wish it woud happen toda but most likely it will happen after all the other good coaches are snatched up by other teams

18. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,763
    Even though I wasn't very enamored with the hiring of Norv Turner, I still always hoped something good would happen. I really do feel bad for the man and unlike others, I don't see that this all his undoing there is plenty blame to spread around. However, it is time for him to go but a step down to OC would be acceptable on my behalf and that's not likely to happen.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,626
    I think everyone wanted something good to happen. Many of us believe something good IS about to happen as soon as we get rid of Norv. I am totally on the fence over AJ though.

20. airbolt

airbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +25
    None of us are writing the checks? Do you know what kind of revenue the Chargers generate with their share of the revenue generated by television deals alone? Are you kidding? The money to pay off AJ and Norv is peanuts to Spanos. That is laughable.

21. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Chargers delay decision on Turner, reports conflict on Cowher

Posted by Michael David Smith on December 25, 2011, 1:08 PM EST
    Yesterday’s blowout loss to the Lions likely cost Chargers head coach Norv Turner his job, but owner Dean Spanos said after the game that any decision about the direction of the franchise will be made after the season.
    “I’m waiting until next week,” Spanos said.
    Spanos is reportedly distraught over the way San Diego fans have tuned out the Turner-led Chargers, and he wants a coach who can bring some enthusiasm back to the fan base.
    Few coaches would generate more enthusiasm among fans than Bill Cowher, and Mark Cannizzaro of the New York Post reports, citing “an in-the-know source with intimate knowledge of the San Diego sports scene” thatCowher already had an interview with high-ranking people inside the Chargers organization, and that Cowher expressed his interest in the job.
    So the situation in San Diego is murky at the moment. Spanos will start to clarify things in a week, after the Chargers’ season finale against the Raiders.

22. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    I think his recent record speaks for itself. 2004 was a long time ago in the NFL. I'm confident he'll ensure mediocrity for whatever team he goes to. His time has past.

23. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    I forget which thread we were having the "But PR supports Norv" conversation in.
    Anyway, add Weddle to the list
    Does it matter now?

24. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    NO he can't

• Like Like x 1
  25. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    HOw many other teams play in consistently bad divisions like we do?

26. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I don't care if all 53 players sign a petition to keep Norv. Players liking a coach is totally irrelevant to running the team. It is all about results, and Norvs results have sucked

• Like Like x 1
  27. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,632

Just had an interesting thought; Acee is (for better or worse) seen as a mouthpiece for AJ Smith and to a lesser degree for Norv Turner. So would it at all be surprising that Acee's 'sources', who are likely tied to Smith/Turner, would say there's no validity to the report?

I'm wondering seriously if it wasn't john spanos speaking for his dad who had the initial discussion for Dean. Let's be honest, Dean probably wants to secure his progeny's role in the team in the future too. So if they can agree to that, it can push forward any move to hire and keep Cowher and his cohort

28. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    He also didn't have good defenses or a good record until Jim Schwartz was hired as his DC, the same guy that helped to turn around the terrible Lions defense

29. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,632
    January 2, 2012
    Bring your noise makers and party hats from the New Years Eve party

30. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,070
    Wasn't aware that Fisher had Martin Mayhew at his disposal... OK, I'll grant you that Schwartz "helped" but his level of responsibility for "turning the defense around" isn't as significant as folks want to make it out to be - folks are quick to forget about Gunther Cunningham and Mayhem far too quickly.

I think we're in the same boat though with regard to Fisher. Too many people mistake what he and Schwartz instill in their teams as toughness... it's not toughness, it's thuggishness. Look at that same Titans/Oilers franchise under Fisher/Schwartz... consistently Top 3 in defensive penalties (and personal foul penalties) committed annual - that's not toughness and that's sure not a sign of good discipline. We bring in Fisher and we're basically conceding to become another version of the Raiders.

• Like Like x 3