1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Portlandia Raiders?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Fossil, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +316
    I'd help pay for the move.

Oregon fans petition Gov. to bring NFL team (Raiders?) to Portland

A group of Oregon fans have petitioned Gov. John Kitzhaber via Change.org to bring an NFL team to Portland, and the Oakland Raiders appear to be on the short list.

"Bringing an NFL team to Oregon would dramatically increase the footprint of this state, bring tax revenue, create jobs and create a multi-use venue that would increase tourism," the "NFL to Portland" petition reads. "Portland is the nation's largest metropolitan area that is served by only one of the Big Three Major League sports organizations."

But are the Raiders even considering moving out of Oakland?

Last week, owner Mark Davis admitted that if the team doesn't get a new stadium soon there's the chance the Raiders could relocate.

"I don't want to call it a last-ditch effort, but it does seem to be the last chance that Oakland is going to get," Davis said. "We can't continue to play in that stadium, with the baseball field and all of that stuff."

The Raiders are the only major sports team to share a venue with a Major League Baseball team.

Meanwhile, the folks behind the "NFL to Portland" movement have a plan for a new stadium.

"While there is typically a significant public cost to building an NFL stadium, the state of Oregon should actively pursue feasibility studies, projections and explore the possibilities," the petition reads. "The study should explore the possibilities of a new NFL stadium-centric development surrounded by ancillary mixed-use development designed to bring multiple benefits to Portland and surrounding areas, including economic, real estate, retail, tourism, entertainment, sports, recreation, cultural and community pride benefits. The signees of this petition support further exploration of this."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...on-fans-want-gov-to-bring-raiders-to-portland

2. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    The Silver & Cacao?

3. EOTL

EOTL BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +81
    Can you imagine a Raider fanbase full of hipsters?

It's terrifying.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,454
    Over Al's dead body.......... oh, wait.

5. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +316
    You guys are ON! Too funny!

6. Dominion Bolt

Dominion Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +104
    Will the Raiders change Portlandia, or will Portlandia change the Raiders?

Three years from now Portlandia will be restricting one game ticket sales for home games with the Chargers!

7. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I love the smell of football in the morning.

Ratings:
    +1,152
    "Bringing an NFL team to Oregon would dramatically increase the footprint of this state, bring tax revenue, create jobs and create a multi-use venue that would increase terrorism..."

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,632
    I don't imagine the homeboys from South Central traveling up to Portland for the NFL and I'd be very curious if not only there's a market in such a green location but if the Silver and Black would truly be embraced by the Oregon community. That's not exactly the Rams or Cardinals or even Chargers

9. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,763
    I vote Yea.

10. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    Having lived an hour south of Portland for about 16 years I have little doubt they can support a team. The Blazers sell out every game, and despite never hearing about them in the media the fans are actually pretty damn intense.

With about 2+ million in the metro area and the closest team being 4-5 hours away, I think they'd do well, albeit not feeding Goodells lust for big city expansionism as much as LA would.

11. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,070
    Yeah... and Paul Allen who just got more sway due to his team actually winning a championship is going to relinquish that media market? And let's be honest, when it comes to the league approving it it's going to be the media market that's as big of a selling point as anything.

12. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I love the smell of football in the morning.

Ratings:
    +1,152
    Does Potland even have a port?

13. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    Yeah, on the Willamette River. (ed.: some on Columbia R. too, I think)

Of greater interest to us outdoorsy types, a short drive east lands you in the Columbia River Gorge…
    one of the most spectacular areas in the lower 48. An absolute must-see.

Punch Bowl Falls r.jpg

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  14. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,070
    Dude... Astoria, Oregon (not terribly far north of Portland) is where they shot and set "The Goonies".

Hell, the City of Oakland should pull a Cleveland and sue for the rights to the "Raiders" name... just to make Portland name the team the Goonies.

15. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    Okay, I apologize for questioning your expertise… :p

16. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,070
    My ultimate dorkness cannot in any way be labeled as expertise.

I am a font of useless information... and occasionally some useful stuff too.

If only there was a way to make a decent living and support a family off of pub trivia I could give up this whole teaching thing and the ulcer it's slowly culturing in me.:p

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. Nomadic Bolt Fan

Nomadic Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    Having moved to the Portland area a little over a year ago I want no part of the Raiturds moving here. I agree with Mati about support of a team here. Large Seahawk fan base of course, but I imagine many would welcome their own team.

Portland Goonies has my vote too LBC.

18. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +316
    I was farting the whole time I was reading this.