1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Position Preview: Defensive Tackles

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Jul 16, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Feb 7, 2006
    By Christopher Smith, Chargers.com
    Posted 5 hours ago

Fifth-round pick Cam Thomas and a versatile group of veterans are tasked with a burdensome but crucial job at the most physical position in the NFL.

SAN DIEGO – No, they’re not trying to conceal a receding hairline or scratch his head.
    Officials that place both palms on top of their hat are signaling 12 men on the field, which is against the rules in the NFL.
    There is, however, a legal way to gain a one-man advantage: force a double-team. Offenses and defenses each try to leverage them because they can give a unit a distinct benefit, leaving teammates to play 10-on-9.
    That’s a primary objective of any 3-4 defense, which counts on one player to control the interior of the offensive line. The nose tackle is the fulcrum for the entire machine.
    San Diego mostly counted on one man to shoulder that burden since it employed the formation in 2004. Several players could seize that role this season, but the Chargers hope fifth-round draft pick Cam Thomas[​IMG] plays a part.
    Fans would have no trouble getting used to a No. 76 going to work in the most physical space of America’s most savage team sport.
    “People will mention it, but I feel like there’s no pressure,” Thomas said of wearing the same jersey as former Charger Jamal Williams. “If (he) didn’t have No. 76, I’d just be Cam Thomas.
    “I give the man the utmost respect because he’s basically a legend out here. (But) I don’t feel like there’s pressure. I’m just going out there doing what they want me to do.”
    Several other veterans also would relish a chance to occupy that position. Ryon Bingham[​IMG] missed all of last season with a triceps injury, but served as Williams’ primary backup from 2006-08 while doubling as a defensive end.
    Antonio Garay[​IMG], along with Thomas, is the only player solely listed as a defensive tackle. Recovered from the broken leg and shattered ankle he suffered on a chop block in 2007, Garay wants to prove himself again. He played regularly for the Chicago Bears, getting credit for six games in 2007 before his injury, but didn’t return to an NFL field until last Christmas against the Tennessee Titans.
    Former first-round pick Travis Johnson[​IMG], selected 16th overall by the Houston Texans in the 2005 NFL Draft, can fill a spot at tackle if needed, although he primarily is known as a defensive end. He has 122 tackles and two sacks in his career.
    Ogemdi Nwagbuo[​IMG] squeezed his way onto the roster last year with a strong preseason. He made 19 tackles as a first-year player and also can line up at defensive end.
    Vaughn Martin[​IMG], the first Canadian drafted as an underclassman, also predominantly plays as a defensive end but also is listed at defensive tackle.
    Whoever emerges to play nose tackle will need to handle one of the most exhausting jobs, one that rarely gets reflected on the stat sheet.
    At 6-foot-4, 335 pounds, Thomas is the biggest of the group. He already can tell a difference between his North Carolina team and San Diego where, in his words, grown men are fighting for a chance to feed their families. He knows he needs to match that intensity now that he’s a professional.
    “I’m just here to do a job and win games,” Thomas said. “My job is to clog up gaps, let everybody else roll, and help make plays when it’s my time. I mean, it’s fun.”
  2. Johnny Lightning

Feb 7, 2006

6-3, 303
    Exp.: 6
    Career GP: 49

A triceps injury in training camp sidelined him for all of 2009 … Played in all 48 games the previous three seasons, backing up Jamal Williams at nose tackle and also playing defensive end … Recorded 1.5 sacks in each of those seasons … Loves to hunt, fish and backpack, especially in Utah’s Uinta Mountains.

6-3, 311
    Exp.: 6
    Career GP: 67
    Played nearly 300 snaps during his first season in San Diego ... Finished the season with 16 tackles after he spent the first four years of his career with the Houston Texans … Claims 122 tackles, two sacks and nine passes defensed during his NFL career.

6-4, 320
    Exp.: 4
    Career GP: 16

Returned to the NFL last season after a chop block broke his leg and shattered his ankle more than two years earlier … Played for defensive coordinator Ron Rivera and defensive line coach Don Johnson in Chicago … Took the field against the Tennessee Titans and Washington Redskins last year and made five tackles for San Diego … May represent the United States in wrestling at the 2012 Summer Olympics.

6-4, 312
    Exp.: 2
    Career GP: 12

Made the roster out of training camp last year after spending 2008 on the practice squad … Made 19 tackles as a first-year player, all in the first nine weeks of the season … Sacked JaMarcus Russell during the fourth quarter of San Diego’s 24-20 win over the Raiders on Sept. 14 … Name is Nigerian for “my time will come.”

6-4, 330
    Exp.: 2
    Career GP: 10

Played in 10 games as a rookie last season and made five tackles … Became first Canadian underclassman drafted by an NFL team … Scored a 38 on the NFL’s Wonderlic test ahead of the 2009 draft … Primary sports growing up were cricket and soccer.

6-4, 335
    Exp.: R
    Career GP: 0

Helped the Tar Heels defense finish first in the ACC last season … Finished career with 83 tackles, 3.5 sacks and nine tackles for a loss … Scored a touchdown on a 20-yard fumble recovery at Boston College … Drafted by the Chargers in the fifth round after San Diego traded up 13 spots.
    Week 1 starting defensive tackles, 2000-09:

2000: LDT Jamal Williams, RDT John Parrella.
    2001: LDT Jamal Williams, RDT John Parrella.
    2002: LDT Jamal Williams, RDT Jason Fisk.
    2003: LDT Jamal Williams, RDT Jason Fisk.
    2004: NT Jamal Williams
    2005: NT Jamal Williams.
    2006: NT Jamal Williams.
    2007: NT Jamal Williams.
    2008: NT Jamal Williams.
    2009: NT Jamal Williams.
    Week 1 tight ends on roster, 2000-09:
    2000: Jamal Williams, John Parrella, Leonardo Carson, Albert Fontenot.
    2001: Jamal Williams, John Parrella, Leonardo Carson, Albert Fontenot.
    2002: Jamal Williams, Jason Fisk, Leonardo Carson, DeQuincy Scott.
    2003: Jamal Williams, Jason Fisk, Leonardo Carson, DeQuincy Scott.
    2004: Jamal Williams, Jacques Cesaire[​IMG], DeQuincy Scott.
    2005: Jamal Williams, Luis Castillo[​IMG].
    2006: Jamal Williams, Ryon Bingham.
    2007: Jamal Williams, Ryon Bingham.
    2008: Jamal Williams, Ryon Bingham, Brandon McKinney.
    2009: Jamal Williams, Ogemdi Nwagbuo.
  3. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2006
    Consider yourself a fan ?

This is where the WAR is WON or LOST.

Too many of you do not give a rats *** about the lines.

Watch these pricks and if they do not smell of a wrecking ball with a barbed wired swashtika up their asses as they play - then pass on the bi tch.

Write them off as fans.

Fat boys rock when they deliver destruction otherwise, they are fat pieces of caca.

For it has been written ..... :bolt:
  4. Johnny Lightning

Feb 7, 2006

The Prophet has spoken... :abq2:

Has Gawd Answered... [​IMG]

Can Rivera pull a Rabit out of a hat... [​IMG]

I remember when we used to yell at the game YOU CAN'T RUN !!! YOU CAN'T RUN !!! :yes:

Will happen again this year... :icon_shrug:

I hope so............

I want to hear again....... YOU CAN'T RUN !!! YOU CAN'T RUN !!! YOU CAN'T RUN !!! YOU CAN'T RUN !!! YOU CAN'T RUN !!! YOU CAN'T RUN !!! :abq2:
  5. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2006
    I remember when we yelled that, in San Francisco!:tup:

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Jul 11, 2006
    We have some big dudes on the DL and if they can play with a tude, I suspect good things will happen. Rivera needs to open up this "attacking" defense and crush the opponents. Choking off the run and smothering the pass of course with the elusive back breaking turnover and they're in business.

Well, I can dream can't I. :icon_huh:
  7. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Jul 22, 2007
    Wrong. We need to upgrade our wide recievers and corner backs.
  8. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Jul 27, 2007
    So I suppose you want to sign some overpriced free agent like Albert Haynesworth? There's really nobody out there worth going after. Not saying this line is the Steel Curtain or anything but they are the best available according to AJ. We can go "Dan Snyder" and go after some overpriced FA but look where that got the Skins. I'm hoping the young guys like OG, Martin and Thomas can learn fast. I'd rather build the line through the draft than go after some overpriced, overhyped underachiever.
  9. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Oct 19, 2008
    I don't think Trumpy is trying to discredit any of these guys but more so kind of saying " Ok, its time to see what we got". Lets watch.
  10. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Apr 10, 2010
    Great read.

As a fan that was hoping we drafted Cam, I am glad that he will get his shot asap. Albeit I was off by a few rounds, but that was homer bias toward thinkin we needed to get him sooner than later vs let another team that is jus goin 3-4 to get him.

Also funny lookin back at TCody and how much overhype he got league wide. AHAHA his draft status is deffinatly more shocking than Cam in the eyes of the Media.

Still cant wait for the HOF game.

erm i mean POSTSEASON LETS GO!!
  11. Nomadic Bolt Fan

Nomadic Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Ahhh, memories. :tup: