1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Positional Power Rankings: QB packages

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by HollywoodLeo, Jun 27, 2009.

1. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,414
    http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9735822/Positional-Power-Rankings

CHARGERS

Philip Rivers
    Billy Volek
    Charlie Whitehurst

Rivers has proved himself to be the fiery leader and franchise quarterback, coming one road AFC title game loss to New England in '07 away from a Super Bowl shot. While he gives the Chargers a great shot of getting over the super hump, backup Billy Volek is a solid veteran who has playoff wins to fall back on. Along with prospect Charlie Whitehurst, San Diego GM A.J. Smith has the Bolts well-positioned in case of a serious injury bug.

2. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,414

BRONCOS

Kyle Orton
    Chris Simms
    Tom Brandstater

Well, Josh McDaniels, you'd better be right about Kyle Orton. Denver fans will not react well if Orton fails to lead Denver to the postseason, and especially if the Broncos' ex Jay Cutler gets to play deep into January. While Orton is 21-12 as an NFL starter and nearly pushed Chicago to the playoffs a year ago, he lacks the elite skillset of a Cutler. Some around Denver wonder if Orton will even beat out Chris Simms for the starting job. For reference, Simms' last starting experience came in 2006 in Tampa, where he went 0-3 with 1 TD and 7 INTs ... and somewhere, Broncos fans moan.

:icon_rofl:

3. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54
    I'm sorry, no way the Broncos are #3. 2 of those guys have playoff experience. Orton has a good record as a starter.

If you are looking at winning this year and not at potential, I'd take the Broncos QB roster over the Bucs, Lions, Raiders, 49'ers, Jets and that's just off the top of my head.

4. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,414
    Orton has playoff experience and a good record as a starter for the same reason Rex Grossman does.

That doesn't make him a good QB, it just makes him a beneficiary of a great defense and an effective run game. (Much like Cutler was a victim of a horrible one.)

Orton's career 71.1 QB rating is very pretty.

5. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,414
    And you'd really take the Broncos over the Raiders' QBs?

Russell is probably a bust, but he has more of a shot at succeeding than Chris Simms or Kyle Orton.

And I'd take Jeff Garcia over the entire bunch. (other Oakland QBs and Denver's)

I can see the Lions or Jets being below Denver if Stafford and Sanchez don't pan out. But their potential alone makes them a better situation to me than Denver and their proven crap QBs.

I can see the Bucs or 9ers, though. They're in shambles. (Of course, I can throw in Freeman's potential to move Tampa into the same category as Detroit and the Jets.)

6. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54

The Chicago defense hasn't been great since they went to the SB (good maybe, but not great, arguably horrible in 2007).

Orton's QB rating is dragged down a little bit by his rating his rooking year (when he happened to play well enough not to lose and help take the Bears to the playoffs).

there is also two sides to the "how much help did he get from teammates" argument. Sure Orton's Defense was better, but who had better offensive weapons?

You mention the Bears had a good running game. The Broncos has been far better--even last year (Den--1862 yds, 4.8 ypc, Chi--1672 yds, 3.9 ypc and the difference was worse in 200)

Now I am not saying Orton is better than Cutler (I would say that he is by far a better leader), but what I am saying is that just as the winning percentage for Cutler doesn't tell the whole story, the stats for Orton don't either.

And if you want to look at potential, that's fine I understand that argument. I was approaching it more as winning now.

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    Orton was steady but never really amounted to a whole lot. Let's be honest, he got his job because almost anyone looks better then Rex Grossman. When he was on his own and had to win games, he really couldn't.

As far as Raiders vs Broncos, Garcia is a hell of a lot more proven then Orton or Simms and Garcia has alot more playoff experience. And at least (i know humor me) Russell has the potential :)lol:) to be something good :)icon_rofl:)

8. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,414
    I'd hardly say it was horrible. They certainly didn't play well on account of Kyle Orton.

True, his 79.6 rating last year does look a little better...

Somehow I don't think the Donkeys have a roster good enough to allow them the luxury of having a QB that only has to play "well enough not to lose".

Fair enough.

But Cutler has proven he can succeed at the NFL level, (re: He can succeed, not the Broncos), Orton has not.

Easy to have a good running game when everyone is scared of your quarterback.

Unfortunately for Denver, nobody's scared of Kyle Orton.

Of course the stats don't tell the whole story, they never do, but until he proves otherwise, Kyle Orton is nothing more than a journeyman. Not somebody you want starting for your team, especially when you have to rely heavily on offensive production.

Jeff Garcia is a much better leader, by the way.

Kyle Orton isn't going to be winning anything now or later.

9. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Rivers is one of the best QB's in the NFL, the dude has heart and will spit in your face (so to speak)

If he has anything to do with it, we will come home with a Lombardi.

10. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    I take Raiders over Broncos this year and Philip Rivers and our crew on the top of AFC. But the divisional fights will be very strong. We can't play 45 min bad football and win the last 10 min. again.