1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Positive mind-set about Denver

Discussion in 'Latest Chargers News & Headlines' started by robdog, Sep 15, 2005.

1. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +268
    Source: <a href="http://www.pe.com/sports/football/stories/PE_Sports_Local_D_chargers_notes_15.1840e9f3.html" target="_blank">The Press-Enterprise</a>

JIM ALEXANDER

SAN DIEGO - It has been six seasons since the Chargers have won a game in Denver, which means two things pertinent to Sunday's game there against the Broncos.

First, they're 0 for 4 at Invesco Field, the new playpen the Broncos opened in 2001. Second, as Chargers players consider it, they're due.

"That was the same issue we had with Kansas City for the longest time," quarterback Drew Brees said Wednesday. "We hadn't won there in seven years, and we went there and won last year, and played a heck of a game.

"Denver's a good team, but we feel very confident about what we can do."

The last Chargers team to win in Denver was Mike Riley's 1999 team, which finished 8-8 and eked out a 12-6 victory in the final game of the year. Since then, San Diego has been outscored 150-83 in Denver, losing by big scores (37-8 in 2003) and narrow margins (38-37 in 2000).

"I think it can be psychological, especially with guys who have played there and know how it is," running back LaDainian Tomlinson said. "You fall behind and you think, 'Man, this is tough.' You've got to block that out of your mind and just keep on plugging away."

A year ago, they fell behind 13-3 in the first half and lost 23-13 in the season's third week to go 1-2. That turned out to be an epiphany, as Brees has related in the past -- a juncture where, instead of telling themselves "Here we go again," the Chargers picked themselves up and went 11-2 the rest of the way.

"A lot has changed between then and now," Brees said. "We were a 1-1 team when we went there. Now, as far as I'm concerned, we're a championship-caliber team."

To prepare the offense for the hostile environment in Denver, the Chargers coaching staff piped in loud crowd noise at practice Wednesday.

Career Low

When Tomlinson failed to catch a pass Sunday against Dallas, it was the first time in his 63-game career he hadn't made at least one catch.

Only one pass was thrown in his direction Sunday, and Brees was throwing that ball away under a heavy rush.

Tomlinson had 53 catches for 441 yards last year.

Happy Homecoming?

Vincent Jackson, a rookie wide receiver from Division I-AA Northern Colorado, would love to be able to play, or even suit up, Sunday. But Jackson, who grew up in Colorado Springs, is listed as questionable with a bad calf.

"Obviously I'm not where I should be, but by the end of the week -- if it progresses like it is, there's a chance I could play," he said. "I know we've got 'em again in December, but I would love to go back home and play in Colorado. My family's going to be there (and) some friends."

In other injury news, linebacker Shawne Merriman (knee) practiced all-out Wednesday and expects to make his NFL regular-season debut Sunday. Defensive end Igor Olshansky (ankle) didn't practice and is questionable; if he can't play, rookie Luis Castillo will make his first NFL start.