1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Possible 2nd Round Picks (CBS Sports)

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Blue Bolt, Apr 9, 2011.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,364
    April 07, 2011 - Ten players the Chargers may target with their two picks in the 2nd round (50th and 61st overall) of the 2011 draft: 1. Baylor OT Danny Watkins (6-3, 310). Watkins, an All-Big 12 offensive lineman, started all 25 games in his career at Baylor, including 13 games at left tackle in 2010. The Chargers have met with Watkins, according to the NationalFootballPost.com.

2. Mississippi State OT Derek Sherrod (6-5, 321). Sherrod was an All-SEC selection in 2009 and 2010. He started as a true freshman and played in 34 of a possible 37 games over four seasons, making him one of the most experienced tackles in this year's draft

3. Villanova OG Benjamin Ijalana (6-4, 320). Disregard the fact that Ijalana comes from a Division 1-AA school. He is easily one of the top 10 offensive linemen in this year's draft and is projected by some to be a first-round pick. Ijalana was the only player from the FCS to be on the watch list for the Outland Trophy, honoring the best lineman of the year.

4. Kentucky WR Randall Cobb (5-10, 191). Cobb could be a good replacement for RB-KR Darren Sproles, who will likely not return in 2011. Cobb is an excellent WR and one of the most versatile players in the draft. He is also capable of working as an RB, running the Wildcat or returning kicks on special teams.

5. Pittsburgh WR Jon Baldwin (6-4, 224). Baldwin, a two-time first-team All-Big East performer, had 53 catches for 822 yards and five TDs in 2010. He is considered by many to be one of the top five receivers in the draft.

6. Arkansas OT DeMarcus Love (6-4, 315). Love started all 12 games for the Razorbacks at LT in 2010 and earned a first-team All-SEC selection by both the AP and Coaches. He has shown durability in his college career as he is tied for the team lead with 36 career starts, including a team-high 29 straight.

7. Clemson SS DeAndre McDaniel (6-0, 217). McDaniel is the No. 1 ranked strong safety in the draft by NFLDraftScout.com and CBSsports.com. In 2010, he had 73 tackles, five and a half tackles for loss, four INTs and six pass breakups. He also earned First-Team All-ACC honors last season.

8. UCLA FS Rahim Moore (6-0, 202). Moore is the No. 1 ranked free safety in the draft by NFLDraftScout.com and CBSsports.com. A team captain, Moore started all 12 games in 2010 and was named first-team All-America by The Sporting News.

9. Miami (Fla) WR Leonard Hankerson (6-2, 209). Hankerson led Miami (Fla) in receiving yards for each of the last two seasons. He had 1,156 receiving yards on 72 receptions in 2010. He was also the team leader with 13 receiving TDs last season.

10. SDSU WR Vincent Brown (5-11, 187). Brown had 1,352 receiving yards on 69 receptions and 10 TDs and earned first-team all-Mountain West Conference honors in 2010. The Chargers have met with Brown, according to the NationalFootballPost.com. However, he likely will fall to the 3rd round, where the team also has two picks.

I guess they think we're drafting a WR for some reason. ;)

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,591
    Brown is NOT a second rounder, but if Watkins could fall to us in the second I think he'd be an outstanding replacement for Clary

3. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    WHile hes my favorite WR in this draft, the more i think about it, the more im convinced that AJ will draft Tandon Doss in the 2nd round

Hes not the biggest or fastest WR in this draft, he really is a good player whose being underrated by some. With his route running, amazing hands, good size and ability to find holes in zone coverage, i think he would be a great fit in our offense. I think he can be for us, what we all hoped Legedu would become. A guy who can play in the slot, but also move outside if thats where we need him.

Also, he has AJ written all over him. Hes a big WR, has high character, great work ethic and is a team first player. I know some dont think of him as a 2nd rounder with all the depth at WR this year, but i think he will prove to be one of the better WRs from this years class if he lasts in the right situation

4. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,581
    1. 26yr old rookie? Not sure I like that.
    2. We'd be extremely lucky to see him at 50, but if he's there and we took D-line in the 1st you sprint the card up there.
    3. Every team in the league has worked this guy out. Unless we move up from 50 we won't have a shot.
    4. Love the skill set, versatility and high character. I would not complain at all if we drafted Cobb at 2a or 2b.
    5. Eh...If AJ is willing to wait for Baldwin to develop I'll be open too it. But I'm worried he has Malcolm Kelly written on his forehead. Nice hands, but struggles to get real seperation and therefore is always a challenge to get the ball too.
    6. 4th/5th round player, I would be dissapointed at this reach.
    7. Has some good upside, I'd be fine with him at 2b but not 2a.
    8. I really don't like Moore at all. He's a slow read and react player, not very aggressive to make contact, 4.6 speed is barely moderate for a centerfield type safety....2b at best.
    9. Love this guy, he reminds me of Greg Jnnings, but he will not be there at 50.
    10. Rediculous reach.....but yeah I'm worried about it too. All the Brown hype around here has me prepared for another bad reach by AJ.

5. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +115
    with the way things are goin i think the draft for us will look like this minus one of our 6th round picks due to a trade
    1. Da'quan bowers De
    2 leonard hankerson wr
    2 demarcus love ot
    3 Ras I Dowing CB
    3 Mark herlich ILB
    6 tj yates qb

6. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +398
    Agree Doss has great hands but he isnt that big. He is a 1/2" taller (6'2") than Hankerson minus 8 lbs. But i like Doss and 6'2" is nice. Think Hankerson is more of a playmaker.

7. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    I also consider Hankerson a big WR, and personally, I like both guys pretty evenly. Hankerson might be more of a playmaker, but i think Doss does the little things better, and has MUCH better hands. I just love how Doss works the zones and gets open. I would be happy with either of them in the 2nd (although i dont think hankerson will be there and will be this years "surprise" 1st rounder to the bears), i just think Doss is more of an AJ type WR, especially since he would make a very good slot WR, something i dont see with hankerson

I actually believe that if we plan on keeping Floyd and VJ, we should draft a guy like cobb, Jernigan, Kerley, or Gates and then draft a bigger, development guy in the 6th/7th rounds (Binns being my choice)