1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Possible agreement reached by 3/11?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Scout200, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Scout200

Scout200 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    The NFL Players Association is going to try to reach an agreement by Friday, 3/11/11. Do you think that this is even attainable or will there be a possible lockout?

2. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I think there is a VERY good chance another extension happens. I seriously doubt either side wants a lockout/union decertification. This would end up bringing the federal government into the issue due to the Anti-Trust suit that the players will file. At that point, neither side would have control of the situation. At least if they continue to work on it together, they have some control

3. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Don't know if they'll get it done by the 11th, but it will get done soon esp. before April and the draft, mini-camps, etc. As Larry the Cable Guy says, "Get 'er done!"

4. Scout200

Scout200 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    Very true! It appears that they came to an agreement yesterday regarding the rookie wage scale.

5. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    The problem is, if the owners do decide to lock out the players, the players will decertify and file anti-trust suit against the league. If that happens, the courts will demand that the owners open their books, something the owners don't want to happen.

So I just don't see the owners locking the players out because they will loose all control at that point since the moment the courts get involved, neither the players or owners would have control, the courts would

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    So basically two of the three big items are agreed to - the rookie salary cap and the 18 game season

Its just that last one that sucks

7. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Has there been agreement on the proposed 18-game schedule? All I heard was that the union said they would not agree to 18 games under any circumstances.

8. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Am I the only one who would love and 18 game season?

9. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    I would not mind as long as the teams would allow for 11 more players to be added and 8 players to be put on the Practice Squad for a total of 19 extra Players per team.

10. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I dont care about more players. Teams that make the playoffs dont get more players. So if two more games is going to cause soo many more injuries, why do the playoffs not result in a plethora of injuries?

11. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    I do not know the answer but Teams in my opinion need more players to protect them from the injuries.

My thought as well why not go to a 20 game, 30 game, 50 game or 100 game season like in Baseball with 162. Also let there be a Minor League System for the NFL.

12. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    the union has been so adamant I'm not sure there can be any give - then again their agent has been IMHO a stubborn ******* so who knows whether or not there will be any push. I'm fine with more players as well but to an owner that means more money paid out. As a fan I'd like to get my money worth if i'm paying for 10 games anyway to get more regular season games

13. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Not the only, but definitely in the minority. We have enough injuries as it is, the last thing we need is 2 more games allowing a ton more injuries, which lowers the quality of play.

16 games is perfect

14. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    What have the been stubborn about? They have already lowered their offer to a 50/50 split instead of the current 60/40 split, and said they will not lower it any more until they are given financial data proving it is in fact in the best interest of the game for the owner to get more.

I don't think a 50/50 split is unreasonable, especially without any ounce of proof showing why they need to give up even more

15. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Bull ****. The playoffs do not see a plethora of injuries. You telling me that players who make the post season ruin their bodies? Riiiight....

16. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Dude, we had more player on IR this year than in any other year in the history of the game.

Players that make the post season play through injuries since they know they only have to do it for a game or 2, where players don't in the regular season knowing they have no chance of getting through 8-10 games with that injury

17. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,930
    see Green Bay Packers

18. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    So let me see if I get your argument. Players get hurt in football. So 16 games are enough? Players know they might get hurt so 16 games are enough? Staggering logic dude.

More games are great for me! If a player is going to get injured they are going to get injured. Thats the breaks kiddo...

19. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,733
    Did you notice that there were several injuries to players from both teams during the super bowel? Just wondering.

20. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    I think it comes down to people who like players not just the team they play for. I HATE to think that every single player already has a very good chance of getting injured at leas once in their career. AND the original 18 game schedule proposal was the Bull ****. 2 less pseason games to make 18 regular... SO were still playing the same 20 games per team...

On the added players imo that would be the major dilluting factor. Tell me where are we gonna come up with another 320 players leaugewide??? *at 10 per team* AFL becomes the minors...

IMO if the Reg season goes up, then the Post season is next. AND above all far as how perfect 16 is now and forever, the 6 teams per confrence and 4 WC spots is the best you will ever get. Added teams will F this perfect system up for us cuz we all know INFL is comming.

OH and from what I understand the Owners get 1 billion off the top of the pie, and they are deadset at getting another 1 bill off the top before any other financial divisions are made. THAT is not 50/50.

21. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Any different than any other game? You guys seem to want to outlaw the game...

22. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Good point. Rivers would never have continued on with his knee injury if it had occurred, say, in game 10. Gates may have sat out games in the regular season that he was active for in the playoffs.

23. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    You would still have to go with more players, and a practice squad with players that were permanently attached to the team instead of acquirable to other teams. It would seem to me that you would also have to allow teams to recall players from injured reserve after a minimum number of games missed. You would also be wise to move back the date of the trading deadline. I would also expand the draft two more rounds. The players would also get more money.

24. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    i think its called more jobs for players. And it gives the elite players some time to heal. 18 games is alot of games. Few teams survive 16 games now. If you notice the owners have tried to keep teams player personal down as much as possible. So if the owners are so greedy that they want more income from an 18 game schedule it should only be fair to add more players to teams.

25. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Thats fine. You are in the minority. Every poll that has been conducted about 16 vs 18 game seasons shows that the majority of fans prefer staying at 16 games

26. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Well now... Aint that special....

27. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I am fine either way, more or less. The point I am making is every player in the NFL is not going to be sent to IR because of 2 more games. Their lives, their careers etc will not be shortened because of two more games. The old ladies in their dusty aprons who try and portray this are just fear mongering.

If 2 more games are a problem, and end careers, then why does the statistics not show this for the teams who make the post season and PLAY MORE GAMES THAN OTHER TEAMS?

Take the wigs and aprons off ladies.

28. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    they are about as close as Al Davis and myself are as beer drinking buddies.