1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Possible Chula Vista stadium land??

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by titanfan24, Jul 9, 2007.

1. titanfan24

titanfan24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +77
    Hey all,

Hope everything is going good in America's Finest City. My office here today in Nashville (we're a massive Economic Development agency) is buzzing about Gaylord Entertainment (a huge company here that owns the Gaylord Texas, Gaylord Opryland, and the Gaylord Palms resorts) backing out of a nearly billion dollar hotel deal in Chula Vista today.

I know that when I was out there in January, some of us had discussed availible properties for a stadium in San Diego and I am wondering if this site south of town may be a possibility. Here is the link to this story in the Nashville Tennessean and I'd like to hear your feedback on if this is a viable location.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070709/BUSINESS01/70709010

• Like Like x 1
  2. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Chargers | Team will likely not build stadium in Chula Vista
    Sun, 15 Jul 2007 12:51:28 -0700

David Washburn, of the San Diego Union-Tribune, reports the San Diego Chargers will likely not build their new stadium in Chula Vista after Gaylord Entertainment decided not to build in the city. Gaylord Entertainment was going to build a hotel and a convention center which would help attract the Chargers to that area. Gaylord Entertainment said July 6 that a development was no longer feasible because of "unwavering, unreasonable demands" brought by local labor unions. Local politicians and others are trying to bring Gaylord Entertainment back to the negotiating table, but nothing as occurred as of yet.

3. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    San Antonio, Super Chaargers!

:mad:

At least we can all crash @ Toby's house.

4. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Nah, they will be the LA Chargers again. The fan wont be able to blame Spanos, because the City Atourney and the City Council have all but shown them the door.

Something San Diego will regret in the future as other franchises and businesees review the chaotic manner in which San Diego is run.

5. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +288

Unfortunately I think you right :tdown:

6. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Isn't Oceanside all but eliminated as well? :icon_sad:

7. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    If they move to LA, I'm done with buying season tickets. I'm sure I'll still go to a game or two, but other than that, I dunno. LA won't support the Bolts it will be all the people driving up from SD. I just desperately want them to win one before leaving SD forever.

If the Bolts leave SD, I guess I can finally accept moving out of the city myself. Hey Thump, how's Oregon?

8. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    I think that the Chargers are making an honest effort to stay in the county (hopefully they'll stay in Oceanside) but if they have to move to LA I won't hold it against them and will probably continue to be a fan

9. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    I don't think I'll ever know why this is such a mess. What's happened?!?

10. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    The unions made concessions to Gaylord but they wanted it their way or it was the highway. Spanos is a developer, I see no reason why he couldn't do both a stadium and the Gaylord project himself. If the Spanos family is looking for developments that are ancillary to their new stadium, that convention center and hotel would make big economic sense. It could be used for another sports arena complex on the same land as well, one that could double as a major new concert venue easier to get to than Cox's two lane blacktop logjam.

11. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    I hadn't heard this TK...I had thought that they were the current front runners...

Oceanside would greatly benifit from the Chargers. The pier area is in a big redevelopment with huge condo/hotels going in in that area. Oceanside beach area isn't the dump it once was...In fact I saw several small beach condos going for well over 1 mill...

A SuperBowl in O'side would benifit O'Side, all surrounding cities to include south Orange County... All of these north county small towns need to get together and make this work.

TBF

12. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,582
    Who made concessions? Gaylord Ent., or the unions? The way I read about it, and saw on local TV that the unions were balking at a 75% union vs. 25% non-union workforce. I don't know if that's good or bad ratio. But Gaylord Ent. made it clear it was the problem with the unions that had them pull out of Chula Vista.

13. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    AG Spanos forte is residential construction.

Commercial high rise and stadium construction is another realm which requires specific expertise otherwise, AG Spanos could handle it I would imagine.

AG Spanos could go in as a master developer and then subcontract out the work to be done as well but the subcontractor (Gaylord) and union have to co-exist at any rate.

14. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Jack Murphy was built when a Joint Powers Authority was formed. It represented the clout of the county and all the incorporated cities to get the stadium built. San Diego nor Oceanside can do this alone.

Until we see a Joint Powers Authority formed again, we are wasting time.

Why isn't it done already?

Incompetance of our elected officials.

15. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    What concessions did they make? The local media left the impression that their representatives in the Labor committee was demanding gurarantees that 100% labor union members would be used and that was the "deal breaker" in the folks from Tennessee pulled out...?

16. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Y'all can sleep in my barn with the bull ....... :lol:

17. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    We got two or three more years of Bolt football left. Just relax and enjoy it. Lets win a few Superbowls and then sit back and remember the good old times after they are gone.

Then we can go back to being the backwater town we were always meant to be.

18. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    The media is correct ( for once ).

Build it Fair, not Foul ! :yes: