1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Possible Head Coach Candidates

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Gridreaper, Dec 2, 2008.

1. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    deal with it norv is staying here

2. DeadCharge

DeadCharge BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    Because yelling is exactly the same thing as motivation, right?

3. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,763
    :icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl: :tup:

4. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +632
    2 things that stood out.

1) Hester >>>>>> Tolbert as a blocker.
    2) The OLine remembered they had balls and actually drove peeps off the line.

5. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    For all you Billick haters... you have some learning to do.
    TF24... You're excused. If I were a Titans fan, I'd hate him too.

Myth #1... Some of you say that Marvin Lewis deserves ALL the credit for the Ravens success and Billick deserves NONE.

Answer... Lewis became the Defensive Coordinator for the Ravens in 1996 (three season before Billick became Head Coach). Before 1999, they never had a winning season in franchise history.
    Yes, I agree that Lewis deserve A LOT of credit for the Ravens success but obviously, Billick added to it!!!!

Before Billick...
    1996 4-12
    1997 6–9–1
    1998 6–10

Myth #2... Some say with that defense that Ryan Leaf could have brought that team to the Super Bowl and won it.

Answer... Tony Banks was given the starting position at Quarterback in the 1999 season. Eventually, Banks was pulled and Trent Dilfer was given that starting position. That's when they won five games straight, three post season games and won the Super Bowl.

Myth #3... Some say Billick deserved credit for the Ravens Winning Super Bowl 2000 like Switzer deserved credit for winning Super Bowl 1996.

Answer... Compare the Cowboys records three years prior to the Ravens three years prior.

Now let's look at who he chose as assistants after Lewis left to become HC of the Bengals...
    Rex Ryan... Some people want him here as Head Coach.
    Mike Nolan... Many fans wanted him here for Defensive Coorinator or Head Coach.

Another thing...
    The biggest argument you hear is how he was suppose to be an offensive guru. Well look at the identity of the early 90's Minnesota Vikings and the 1999+ Baltimore Ravens.
    Being a camilion as a NFL HC isn't such a bad thing and that's what Brian Billick is!!!
    IT'S NOT HOW YOU WIN THE GAME, IT'S IF YOU WIN OR LOSE!!
    YOU WANT PLANNED ENDINGs, FOLLOW WWE!!!

6. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    AHHHHHHH...

bilLICK my balls ya' crusty Ravens fan.

[​IMG]

7. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Should we call you "Mr. Denial" or "Mr. HateWithoutReason?"

You and Concudan can hold hands on this one!!!

8. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    I hate Brian Billick period.

After the Ravens Super bowl victory Brian Billick let it go to his head and from then on there had too much of an ego.

That is not what I want in a head coach is an Ego maniacal piece of ****.

Lets go either a Rookie HC or get if possible Bill Belichick.

If you aint cheatin you aint tryin. I would not mind a cheater than an ego maniacal piece of ****.

Billick :tdown:
    Belichick :tup:

9. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    No offense but Belchick will NEVER happen (to the point where his health is like Al Davis). No point in discussing that!!

Rookie HC... AJ already destroyed that option!!! Now it's too risky!!!

We need a veteran HC that can fix the damage the AJ and Norv did to this team!!!

10. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    What is wrong with Belichicks health?
    :icon_huh: :icon_shrug:

I only want a Rookie HC not a Veteran at all except for Bill Belichick as my only Veteran HC. No ring or rings from a Veteran HC for the Bolts. I do not care about he risk in having a Rookie HC. It is well worth the risk to have a Rookie HC. There is always a risk no matter what happens even with a Veteran HC, it is the same risk as a Rookie HC. My opinion AJ has not ruined the Chargers. But yes he has made mistakes that is true.

11. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,697
    i just threw up in my mouth a little... bellicheat can such my imaginary balls - f that dude man, i dont want him anywhere near my bolts unless it's as an opposing coach.

12. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    My point was that if we stood any chance of getting Belechick, it would be when he's Al Davis's age.

If we get a rookie HC, I think it's too risky at this point. Too risky of seeing the biggest bust in NFL history happen. This era passing by with no Super Bowl title would be the biggest bust in NFL history as far as I'm concerned.
    Having it right in our face and failing to make it happen will make us a complete joke. If any other franchise had what we have... they wouldn't be having this discussion right now. If AJ can't get a Super Bowl title or two out of this team... He is a complete failure!!!

13. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    I Got you on Bill Belichick.

If we fired Norv after the Broncos Game and got Brian Billick like you want as a Veteran HC. the expectations are too risky to have. I.E. there would need to be a Super Bowl showing and win in 2010. No if and or butts about it. There is this as well if Billick would make the Super Bowl and not win it then he would be just like Norv and needs to be fired. That is too much risk in my opinion.

That is why I want the little expectations with a Rookie HC.

But since there is all this Hatred of AJ why not go straight to the top and hate on all the Spanos's for hiring him in the first place. They do not know how to hire people to help them run the team to a Super Bowl and win it.

So I think then the Spanos's should fire everyone and sell the team. Start from scratch with a new owner and upper managment all the way down to the actual players themselves. Call them the Walla Walla Washington Stampeders.

14. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Nope. If they're gonna move I want them closer to me. :lol:

15. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,763
    East of the Mississippi would be just fine with me, like Raleigh would even be better. God knows there's enough lightning in the area to support the BOLT.:bolt: :tup:

16. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    The problem I have with Billick is that he was supposed to be an offensive guru, and the Ravens offense sucked ***.

It's not like they didn't have weapons to work with. Billick wanted Boller but he was a failure, Billick had McNair, he had Jamal Lewis, Mason, Heap etc.

Then the season after he leaves the offense is better than it ever was with Billick and the only difference is a rookie QB.

The Ravens' d was great but they went d a lot to build that defense.

96- Ray Lewis
    97- Boulware, Sharper
    98- Starks
    99- McAlister
    00- Adaulis Thomas (although he was a 6th rounder).
    01- Baxter
    02- Reed, Weaver
    03- Suggs
    04- Dwan Edwards
    05- Dan Cody
    06- Ngata

07, 08 and 00 were the only seasons they didn't draft a defensive player in the 1st or 2nd round. 7 of those years they invested a 1st rounder on a defensive player. That's a serious investment on the defensive side and a lot of those guys ended up being pretty good.

17. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,641
    Imaginary Balls? That's EPIC right there :icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

More on the coaching thing, i think people are overlooking that we might have to rebuild this team after next year because everyone between 2009-2010 is coming up for a contract which includes LT, Gates, Merriman, Rivers, McNeil, Jackson, Cromartie, etc. (Jammer too I think). So we might lose quite a few of them which would then require a big rebuilding process

18. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Aren't LT and Gates signed till 2011?
    I know Jammer is signed till 2013.

I think and hope that getting Rivers and Merriman locked up this off season is a big priority. Jackson too.
    The peacock can wait. He has to prove that last season was no fluke.

19. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Also, look at how bad those assisntants looked when they left and tried to make it on their own

And as for his offenses not doing anything, they had no QBs (sure that was partially his fault) or WRs and, here is what people dont get, HE WASNT THE OC, HE WAS THE HEAD COACH

THe only time that he called plays was his first year when they went 8-8, and the final 10 games of 06 when they went 9-1 and averaged 24ppg, which would ranked them #7 for the year if they did it all year

20. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155
    So he gets credit for the great defense because he was the HC, but he doesn't get the blame for the offense because he was the HC and not the OC? :icon_huh:

When you have the talent the Ravens had/have on defense it's not hard to coach a great defense.

I mean does Marvin Lewis get the credit for having great offenses in Cincy because he was the HC and not get the blame for the defense because he wasn't DC?

Anyways Marvin goes from a team loaded with defensive studs to a team that has crap on defense and still has crap on defense. Kind of hard to be successful with ****** players.

Then you have Nolan, Ravens have great defensive players, then he goes to the Niners who had crap on defense.

Ryan still coaching a great group of defensive players, although it's been a little injury prone and the defense looks like **** when they lose a key player.

21. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    WAIT JUST ONE DAMN MINUTE!!

IF THEY ARE GONNA MOVE THEN BRING THEM TO MICHIGAN!!

SELL THE DAMN LIONS TO LA AND LIVE HAPPILY EVER AFTER!!

:lol::lol::lol:

• Like Like x 1
  22. SD Native WY

SD Native WY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +326
    We need a coach that finds a way to win with all personnel available. A coach that can adjust to the opposing team no matter what the game plan was originally. A coach that has the foresight and play calling skills seen on other teams that this year have had the same problems as we have had but seem to be able to make adjustments. Steelers, donkos, Pats and am sure others that are going to the playoffs.

I may be stating the obvious but the more I look at it IMO I think we need a fresh face such as Rivera because he doesn't have any preconceived notions of making the team he had before and using the players he has gotten to know.

Just my humble opinion.

23. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    RIP hits the nail right on the head!! :yes:

24. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155
    It's funny how you guys are trying to give Billick all the credit for the defense but won't put any of the blame on Billick for his offenses.

25. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    huh? :icon_huh:

Where did I say that? I gave Lewis credit as a DC.

I'm giving Billick credit as HC. A successful HC manages the clock, picks the right strategies to defeat the opponent, works closely with his assistants, keeps the ALL of the players on the same page, builds their confidence when their down, doesn't let them lose focus when they're up... the list goes on and on but those are some of the things that the HC does.

He also picks good assistants to work with.
    Like I keep saying, "we need what we had with Marty back."
    Marty - solid HC
    Cam - solid OC
    Wade - solid DC
    And they all focused souly on their responsibilities and communicated well with each other. Thats the recipe for success!!! :yes:

26. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155
    Ok maybe saying you give him all the credit was an exaggeration but you have given him credit for the defense in addition to Lewis.

I mean you give him credit for picking the DCs ok that's nice but what about the offensive side? IMO the talent is the reason the defense was so good not so much that Billick picked geniuses to take over the defense.

Billick did have input on the offense he helped pick those players, he picked the guys to run the offense and they failed time and time again.

So is Billick horrible at picking OCs? Or is he bad at judging offensive talent? I wouldn't want him calling plays. Either isn't very good for the offensive side of the ball if he were to take over.

27. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,763
    :icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl: I need to spread some rep around.

To dang cold way up thar. :icon_tease:

28. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    I'm with you, Billick is just another retread. He's Denny Green all over again. Why would we want that?

29. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,223
    Flavor of the month. The two who are pimping him are dazzled by the bling...

• Like Like x 1
  30. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,763
    I thought AJ and Deano already confirmed that Norv will be back????:bolt: