1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Possible Head Coach Candidates

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Gridreaper, Dec 2, 2008.

1. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Mods... you might as well lock this thread until after next season. Norv is here for 09.

Maybe start a "Coordinator" thread... and discuss Billick there. :icon_shrug:

2. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Well those DC got jobs as HCs and plenty of teams are considering Ryan as HC. So they must be doing something right with all the defensive talent. Plus, having lots of talent doesn't always mean you'll get the job done. Look at Norv... perfect example!!!

The Ravens never really got enough talent on the offensive side to work with. Other then in 2006 with McNair as QB but he was on his last legs. Though he comes here, ALL the talent is here on both sides.
    Besides, wouldn't it be AJ's job to supply the talent? I listed what a HC does and that's ALL he needs to do!

3. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Really? Green has a ring?
    Wow!!! I didn't know that the Vikings or Cardinals have a Super Bowl title!!! I must be really behind on the times! :icon_huh:

Green is horrible because the Vikings teams he had were wayyyy too good not to have at least two Super Bowl titles. Though Norv would have f*cked it up too, so we have no bragging rights.

Those teams had waaaaay more talent than the 2000 Ravens team!!! Waaaaaaay more!!!!

4. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

The shaving cream is messing with your vision. :yes:

5. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Didn't they say something similar regarding Cottell?

6. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Yes they have gotten HCing jobs and they were both failures, although Marvin did do okay his first few years.

And yes AJ does supply the talent but Billick will have an input, why do you think we picked Hester and Buster Davis? Because those are the type of players Norv likes. When Marty was here AJ picked guys that fit more in line with what Marty liked. So if we get Billick AJ will pick the type of guys Billick likes.

7. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155
    Billick is better than Denny Green but that isn't really saying much. That's like saying Green is better than Norv.

They are who we thought they were, is probably the most memorable thing Green did.

8. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I wouldn't give up on Marvin as a HC yet. Look where he's coaching. Who was the last HC to have any success there?
    Not to mention, all the legal troubles.

Yes, I know what the GM does and what the HC's input is but it doesn't always work out like that.

9. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    There is NO comparison. Neither has any similarities.
    Apples and oranges.

10. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155

They were both former Head Coaches, I'd say that's a similarity.

11. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Yeah. Just like apples and oranges are both fruits.
    Hyundais and SUVs are both automobiles.
    Fiction and non-fiction are both books.
    Socks and shirts are both clothing.
    Water and vinegar are both liquids.
    ... the list goes on.

12. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,763
    Maybe they feel they got rid of the problem and owe Norv another shot. I haven't heard otherwise. I just hope Rivera gets a fair shot at it if Norv don't work out next season.

13. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,642
    Interesting note - the 49ers sure are taking their sweet time in declaring Mike Singletary to be their 'head coach' and to drop the interim part. There's a rumor going around that the 49ers won'tt make him their head coach. Now THATS a guy I wanna grab if he hits the open market

14. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,763
    Singletary and Rivera might make a great team up, just need a Coryell type OC and there aren't to many of those around these days.

15. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    If that's the case, the 9ers aren't too bright but I wouldn't mind Singletary coming here either!!! :tup:

16. mrwrite

mrwrite BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't care what A.J. says Norv's job is not safe. I seem to remember him saying that he would not fire Marty and then he would not fire Ted and last time I checked they're both gone. I think Jim Fassel and Brian Billeck are the most realistic options to replace Norv. I don't think Rivera has done enough to show he deserves a promotion.

17. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,628
    AJ is right about one thing, he won't fire Norv. Dean will, just like he did w/ Marty.

18. MountainDew

MountainDew BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    your an idiot! Your head looks like a toiler bowl

• Like Like x 1
  19. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I think Norv is likely to be here next year, but this IS just the type of "disclaimer" that AJ would use.

If the Niner's don't name Singletary as their HC, they're effing up nearly as badly as the Raiders. I wanted him here when Norv was brought in, but many said he's proven nothing. I'd be happy to let him prove himself here, especially if Rivera would stay on as DC.

20. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Yeah... he's the idiot :lol:

[​IMG]

21. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    that's just damn gey!!

:lol::lol::lol:

22. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...Singletary's small body of work with the Niners is a testimony to what fiery leadership can do for a team. They beat the Jets, the Bills and should have beaten the Cards IN ARIZONA! Look at the successful head coaches in NFL history. They were all strong leaders who kept QUALITY OCs and DCs on board. A head coach NEEDS to be a LEADER. That description is laughable when used to describe Norval. DAMN, where the phuck is that case of Norvaway!!!!!!!!!!

23. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,642
    Mike Singletary at HC
    Ron Rivera/Wade Phillips at DC
    Some solid game caller at OC

Awesome coaching

24. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I requested it in the BoltTalk store! :icon_twisted:

25. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I like this!!! :yes: :tup:

26. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...Although a bit dated, maybe the best example to me of having quality coordinators on staff... the strong New York Giant teams of the mid to late 50's. They had an offensive assistant (basically now called the OC), named Vince Lombardi. Their defensive coach was named Tom Landry. Lombardi left in 1959, I believe and Landry in 1960. We all know what happened to the previously disfunctional Packers and the newly formed Dallas Cowboys. What also transpired was a freefall of the New York Giants.

The Chargers have a history of of obtaining excellent assistants along the way. Sid Gillman had assistants like Chuck Noll, Joe Gibbs...hell even Al Davis, who back then was at least innovative. There are many more ex-Chargers who would make this list. Just find a strong leader and fill in those vital assistant spots with quality coaches.

27. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155
    I don't think the Niners will let Singletary go but I'd still rather have Ron as HC. They're both great leaders and would both get the respect with the players.

But a Rivera/Wade combo would be really nice for the defense imo. Singletary is raw/untested when it comes to playcalling.

But I wouldn't complain, Singletary was one of the guys I wanted here.

28. gobolts_charger

gobolts_charger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    Norv's not going anywhere.:no:
    No need to continue talking bout new coaches...
    although we can dream can't we?:unsure:

29. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,642
    that's the point with a combination of Singletary/Rivera/OC - its no different then when Marty was here. Cam called offensive plays, Wade called defensive and Marty ran teh team's practices and whatnot. Cam replaced by OC, Wade returns or Rivera, and Singletary for marty

30. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    After reading all this speculation about new coaches, I doubt there is any quality coach with NFL head coaching experience available to us. Cowher won't come to the West Coast. Billick has a mixed record and probably cannot be enticed here, besides not having all that much to offer, given his record. It's the same with Fassel. Harbaugh is interesting, but has no pro experience. Right now I would bet against Norval staying put-not something I comfortable with any more. So, if we need a new head coach if Norval does depart, Rivera is my guy. After all, it was initially thought he was brought in with that in mind.